Residency situation becoming more than a joke.

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Sukicat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Residency situation becoming more than a joke.

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Sukicat »

Went in to my local bank today and most taken back when the cashier asked me if I have residency. OK she was a new person who I have not dealt with before so expected her to ask me for ID, when I handed her my passport and residency cert she said but your residency has expired. Was not amused to have to explain that after applying for renewal in November my police appointment is not till July. She then had to go and ask her supervisor if I could have money from my account.
OK the young lady is new and it would seem like this was the first time she had encountered this but to me it is just another bloody inconvenience caused by the whole residency renewal cock up.
I will be sending a very polite email to the expat customer services manager asking that the cashiers are made aware of the current situation.
One can only hope that one day miracles might happen.

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Residency situation becoming more than a joke.

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

OMG what difference does that make if it's your money in your account?

It's not her job to decide if you have the right to be in the country, Jesus!! (pun intended)

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Horrific and ridiculous to say the least. Maybe the should undertake due diligence when people are opening accounts; can just see the latest wave of 'non-EU' nationals ($$) (:Z) with huge amounts of money being deposited, with no questions asked I bet!

Once went to a certain bank favoured by 'ex-pats' to draw some monies out to pay builders; cashier asked me why I wanted the money! Whilst I don't normally swear, made it clear, my money, not your business and let me speak to the manager.

Can you say which bank? OR IM me as may be the ones we use but not been since last got the statement for residency in July 2023.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

I'm off it's to much hassle here now,

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

laptawrinkly wrote:
Sat 06 Apr 2024 8:25 am
Once went to a certain bank favoured by 'ex-pats' to draw some monies out to pay builders; cashier asked me why I wanted the money! Whilst I don't normally swear, made it clear, my money, not your business and let me speak to the manager.
I had exactly the same experience with HSBC in the UK when withdrawing cash. Wanted to know why it couldn't be paid electronically, blah blah blah and I should consider that I could be mugged as I step outside the building. I also had to travel 15 miles to find a branch with a counter. It is not unusual these days.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

In the UK if you want to withdraw a large amount of cash you will need I D and expect to be asked what the money is for. I was told this is to protect the customer because of the high level of scams nowadays.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

laptawrinkly wrote:
Sat 06 Apr 2024 8:25 am
Horrific and ridiculous to say the least. Maybe the should undertake due diligence when people are opening accounts; can just see the latest wave of 'non-EU' nationals ($$) (:Z) with huge amounts of money being deposited, with no questions asked I bet!

Can you say which bank? OR IM me as may be the ones we use but not been since last got the statement for residency in July 2023.
Having worked for one of the biggest banks in uk, I would just say it is pretty normal, or was, when you were actually able to see a cashier, for them to ask that question. All part of sales training to try to keep your custom. They were simply trained to establish if the money was going somewhere else, and maybe offer a better deal to keep you. Honestly it is nothing to get upset or angry about. They are just doing their job.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

Similar problem with cash withdrawals in the south. I had to withdraw €6000 to pay for a car because the dealer did not take cards. Bank asked me why I needed the cash. When I explained, they said I needed an invoice from the dealer before I could withdraw my cash. After that experience, I have kept my bank balance here to an absolute minimum.

I think there are similar problems across the EU now. The difference is that in Cyprus, the banks often devise their own rules and push the restrictions beyond the legal requirements. Even lawyers say this. You can fight and win, but it takes time and effort.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Same thing happened to my friend at a bank near Pamper Yourself........
She had to produce the screenshot of her residency renewal progress as her residency had run out.
TEB have recently closed a Swallow friend's account because they do not reside here full time.
Conversely a friend who lives here has had her Nationwide UK account closed because she lives here.
Could the residency question at your bank be linked to a future change in banking here?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Had our Nationwide UK account closed here as well but only because I was stupid! To make life easier for both ourselves and Nationwide I changed our address from UK to here, shortly afterwards they sent me a letter to say they were closing our account because we live overseas! This despite the fact that they have been sending our cards to our address here for the past 15 years and had agreed in 2006 that it was no problem for us to continue to have our UK account even after moving abroad forever. There is no legal requirement for you to live in the UK to have a UK account there it is down to each bank if they will allow it - Nationwide now do not allow it so if you have an account in the UK and live here - Don't tell them!!! If you do tell them the magical Nationwide Account Review Team will suddenly find you live overseas and close your accounts. They do give you 3 whole months to find alternative banking but they inform you by surface mail - they sent us a letter on the 19th of November 23 to tell us they were closing our accounts on the 21st of January 2024 - we got the letter on the 26th of December!!! Be careful out there and keep your money in the sock under the bed - it is much safer there than in Nationwide - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”