General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Revolut question

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

A friend of mine sent me a link to register for a Revolut card. I opened the link it asked me for my telephone number which I gave, a Green tick appeared saying success, that was it nothing more since then. Has anyone used a link like this please, what happens next do I just register and carry on? Thanks in advance for any advise.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Revolut question

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Which phone number did you use? They sent a code to my Turkcell number then when I entered the code there was no option for Turkey on the country drop down list. I was therefore confused as to why they allowed a Turkish number 🤔

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thanks for your reply, I used my TRNC turkcell number, I did go on to their site, it asked for my number again and a pass code which I dont have?

gripon
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by gripon »

what is their contact number i have been trying to contact them

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I just sent my UK telephone number, the same thing success, still nothing, I may as well just register. The reason I used the link is because I believe the sender receives some kind of monetary reward?

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

You have to use a UK or European phone number. They will not accept a Turkish number.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I just used my UK number, my question is what happens next please, nothing has been sent to that telephone?

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Hair Cut wrote:
Tue 09 Apr 2024 10:26 am
You have to use a UK or European phone number. They will not accept a Turkish number.
So odd though that they'll let you input it. Oh well that's me out. I'll delete the app.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 09 Apr 2024 10:08 am
I believe the sender receives some kind of monetary reward?
Currently you and your referring friend get up to £200 if you 1. Sign up on or before 16th April using the link from your referring friend, 2. Add money to your account, 3. Order a Physical card, 4. Make 3 purchases, minimum £5 each.

The amount of reward you each receive is random, so could be £5 each or £200 each.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

MnM wrote:
Wed 10 Apr 2024 12:58 pm
Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 09 Apr 2024 10:08 am
I believe the sender receives some kind of monetary reward?

Currently you and your referring friend get up to £200 if you 1. Sign up on or before 16th April using the link from your referring friend, 2. Add money to your account, 3. Order a Physical card, 4. Make 3 purchases, minimum £5 each.

The amount of reward you each receive is random, so could be £5 each or £200 each.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Been reading about revolut. In the case of fraud they tend not to pay out . Apparently the my are not currently part of the UK protection scheme. As I said I have only read it ... Please check and beware

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Typo again. They are not part of the scheme

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Revolut has not yet been granted a UK Banking License. I use a UK postal address but my telephone number is +90......... so they do accept a Turkish number.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

susiesusie wrote:
Wed 10 Apr 2024 3:25 pm
Been reading about revolut. In the case of fraud they tend not to pay out . Apparently the my are not currently part of the UK protection scheme. As I said I have only read it ... Please check and beware
We have direct experience which does not support this rumour. In fact having alerts sent to your phone and being able to stop fraud attempts immediately, gives us a great deal of security.

We use our Turkcell numbers no problem.

The advent of virtual, single-use, and online cards in the Revolut app mean it's very simple to avoid fraud. We got money back in minutes when some bright spark tried to buy coffees in the south to test their scam... we were alerted and able to put a block on and got the refund within seconds. You can also switch on location based security whereby the phone and the transaction are geographically linked i.e. the place where the purchase is made is within the same network location as your registered phone.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Slightly off topic but can i ask how these in-app Virtual Cards work in the case of needing a refund on a purchase? I've had a few occasions where I have had to get a refund on something where the physical card had expired since purchase and the retailer initially refuses to issue a refund as the last 4 card numbers are different. Then I've had to spend time speaking with the manager to point out their refund policy states via the original method of payment, NOT vie the original card number used to make the purchase. People open and close accounts all the time.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Shocking article in The Telegraph regarding Revolut and fraud.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

forestpixie wrote:
Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:39 am
Shocking article in The Telegraph regarding Revolut and fraud.
All banks customers are subject to this type of attempted fraud. Contrary to the suggestion that other UK banks refund customers if they are tricked into divulging their security details by scammers, by and large if you are daft enough to be tricked the banks (all banks) will hold you to have been negligent and therefore liable for your own losses.

Never, ever give information via phone or email, or follow links in emails that appear to take you any bank's website (spoofed bank sites are a very common fraud mechanism).

Always do your transactions via the app.

Use virtual cards whenever possible in unfamiliar locations and outlets.

Be smart, regard any unsolicited contact as suspect, end the call, delete the email after reporting it as phishing and initiate contact with the bank via the app on your phone.

Never download third party apps purporting to be superior implementations of genuine apps either.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”