Insect bites

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Insect bites

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Hi I know lots of info has been written about bites but could I ask - do you become immune to them after being here a while? I get the small 'dotty' bites (although the ones on the leg ones are bigger!!) and although they do not itch too much they are unsightly and uncomfortable. I have just moved here permanantely and 4 days in have 15 bites! I have tried all the recommended - garlic and vit b tabs, skin so soft, lemon spray and various repellants......What are other Kibkomers experiences are living here a while??

Also should I take anti histamine tablets or use the insect bite cream\gel?

Many thanks

Mrs Mac

DAVPAT
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Insect bites

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by DAVPAT »

Mrs Mac,

When we are in TRNC,we use the local Chemist in Karoglanoglou[whatever]who recommended anti histamine for my wife,who always gets bitten on her legs,great advise,with 1 or 2 days,they had all but cleared.

I might add,the darn things musnt like my blood,as I have never been bitten in the 6 years we have been going to TRNC!!

Hope you find some relief

David
Poor and content is rich enough!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I use tea tree oil it stops any itching and infection. Off spray will protect you for a couple of hours but I have yet to find anything that totally stops them after being here 9 years.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Thanks DavePat and Deniz - you keep trying things don't you in the vain hope you hit the jackpot and it will help! Strangely I never got bitten at all in the UK......

Mrs Mac

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The ones with DEET in are always touted as being the most effective, although sadly, my experience doesn't seem to correspond

The ones that works best for me seems to be the cheap 'family' type containing Citronella - 'Autan' or 'Johnsons' for instance..

As for after-bite treatment, I have a little electric 'clicker' thing that you place over a bite and click 4 or 5 times, that takes the sting out, although it doesn't stop the swelling. Anti-histamines taken immediately after a bite or sting do help - the 'strongest' that I've found is 'Telfast' - 180 mg size. After-bite treatment is most effective if action is taken immediately but unfortunately I can never find the stuff when I want it in a hurry - it's usually hiding with my car keys...in the Fridge!

I understand that with the Avon 'Skin-so-soft', there is one particular type that has the repellent effect - perhaps you had the wrong 'flavour'. They tell me that it is so effective that the SAS use it - I bet that they've got lovely soft skin Image

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Hi Keith Yes I agree, I have tried most on the market with Deet, without Deet, Natural e.g.Incognito....

I have just come back from the chemist and they gave me Cetryn so I will keep a note of Telfast for future use.

Do you know what 'flavour' of the Avon that is supposed to work? Must admit it was a while ago that I tried it - is is available to buy here in NC?
Mrs Mac

PS. My husband said he had heard the SAS was going soft!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Just looked up an old post by Jo - the 'Avon Lady' on C44: -

She said "It is the one in the blue bottle that you need and it is called Skin so soft dry oil spray"
Mrs Mac wrote:...My husband said he had heard the SAS was going soft!!...
I hope that 'they don't hear him saying that

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

Telfast 180mg is an absolute miracle. Just take one every day, that way if you get bitten, and let's face it it is hours before you know about it, you will already have the antihistamine in your system and will not get the reaction.

Worth the money

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Thanks suehowlittle, will get some in stock for next year!! The small flies seems to be about but not biting at the moment!!

Mrs Mac

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I am always the one that gets bitten, but I have to say, that after living here now, I do not get bitten as much as I used to. One does get a certain immunity.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

That is what I am hoping for Dippersgirl now that I am living here!!!!

zarafet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by zarafet »

I get bitten all the time. I take Telfast everyday all year, I've tried vit B, garlic, so soft by Avon, just about every type of deet (only thing it seemed to affect was me, nearly killed me, but no effect on bites). Until I came here I rarely got bitten, no matter where I travelled in the world, but now it's constant. Relief is the only way to go, as Keith says the clicker is good, and the Telfast helps. Every fly, mozzie or ant or anthing makes an absolute bee line for me here and after 4 years I've given up.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

I do sympathise Zarafet!! I have never got bitten either til here!

I found the Jungle Fever for sensitive skin is one of the better for usage, it is a lotion with almond oil in, easy to put on a doesn't smell too bad!! Also Incognito isn't bad, it is a natural one, one of the better ones, they do a range including soap, shampoo, incense sticks but I didn't like the body lotion as it took ages to disappear from your skin!

Lets hope this year we will build some immunity!!!!

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”