Fibre optic cable cut.

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Fibre optic cable cut.

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

Does this affect everyone regardless of ISP in the Kyrenia region?

I ask as I have lost MM but as I have internet through my landline (Extend), this is not affected.

Also, I am able to post using 3g on my mobile phone.

Any advice would be welcome (when you get a signal)

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Fibre optic cable cut.

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Internet(extend) down around 20:00 for 15 minutes poor signal for further half hour, seems ok now 21:20

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

I would think if a main fibre optic has been cut it would affect all ISP’s. We are also Multimax and no internet

Your landline will be over a copper wire not fibre

Yes thank god for Vodafone...

Yes and no
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Yes and no »

Does anyone know for how long it’s going to be off!!

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

No probably not ...

In theory should be a quick job to splice and repair a fibre optic cable ..maybe it’s a bigger problem

Missed Eastenders now !

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Fibre optic cable was cut due to roadworks taking place on the Nicosia/Kyrenia road. No idea when it came back, but was much relieved this morning to see that it had been restored.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

I'm with Xrealnet and mine didn't go off at all.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Was it only Multimax customers who were cut off? A friend's internet using another ISP, was totally fine. This is in Tatlisu area.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Well now you know that MM use a fibre cable, not copper or another wireless link - solid as a rock, until some twit puts a digger through it of course but then there is no accounting for stupidity in the world.

"In theory should be a quick job to splice and repair a fibre optic cable" - In theory practice works, in practice theory doesn't - lol. A fibre splice is a simple task but only if you can get to it and it is a single fibre - anything else (where it has been stretched or crushed) can be a nightmare job - speaks from experience by the way, just try a fast splice in the dark and mud of Salisbury Plains when a tank track has found your fibre, shudder!!!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Leither
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Leither »

Funny,no excuses from MM,makes a change I suppose and they still don"t answere their phones.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

Leither wrote:Funny,no excuses from MM,makes a change I suppose and they still don"t answere their phones.
I received a text message from MM explaining the problem.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I ddin't receive a text but then that is more than likely because I have a UK phone number. I did try ad ring but it was engaged. I also tried to use my neighbours internet to check if hers was working and it wasn't and she is with a different ISP. I sort of worked out it must have been something major so went for a walk instead of fussing about not being able to update Facebook or watch rubbish on telly. There is a world out there other than on the net.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

jayceebee wrote:
Leither wrote:Funny,no excuses from MM,makes a change I suppose and they still don"t answere their phones.
I received a text message from MM explaining the problem.
So did we....

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Chriswright03 wrote:I ddin't receive a text but then that is more than likely because I have a UK phone number. I did try ad ring but it was engaged. I also tried to use my neighbours internet to check if hers was working and it wasn't and she is with a different ISP. I sort of worked out it must have been something major so went for a walk instead of fussing about not being able to update Facebook or watch rubbish on telly. There is a world out there other than on the net.
So that's "get a life" then.... ?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

No not really Groucho. It is just a bit more like there was a problem beyond any ISP's control and it was fixed fairly quickly. In the meantime I am sure all of us could find something to do. Remember the old days when we kept ourselves amused without all of the electronic aides? I sat outside with a nice gin and tonic and talked to my wife. There is a lot worse things happening to people all over the World than having no internet for few hours.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

alphamike wrote:Was it only Multimax customers who were cut off? A friend's internet using another ISP, was totally fine. This is in Tatlisu area.
I’m not with multimax and mine was off all last evening. Was back on this morning.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks Brazen. I have no idea how the different ISP's provide their internet, but obviously the ones using fibre optic cable were the ones suffering a disruption.

Multimax did sent out a text message at least, explaining the problem, which was obviously not their fault, so good on them.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Second that alphamike - MM are always quick to let us know what the problem is, no complaints about their service. I did find it "Strange" that as soon as I posted about the problem above this thread vanished and I found it again under INTERNET & COMPUTERS, yet many other threads about different subjects never get moved. Not going to point out which as that is up to the mods but it was peculiar when everyone was interested in what had happened!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Mint1955
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Mint1955 »

JoandJelly wrote:I'm with Xrealnet and mine didn't go off at all.
I tried to PM you ref xrealnet but it won’t send. I need information on how and where to do pay as you go and what details you need to identify user etc.
Sheila

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Mint1955 wrote:
JoandJelly wrote:I'm with Xrealnet and mine didn't go off at all.
I tried to PM you ref xrealnet but it won’t send. I need information on how and where to do pay as you go and what details you need to identify user etc.
Sheila
PMs sit in your Outbox until the recipient decides to open them - if they don't notice that there is a PM and open it, it will sit there ad infinitum...

If you are situated to the West of Girne, then you could contact Hay Pem, opposite Green Petrol on the Alsancak main coast road (Karaoğanoğlu Caddesi) - they are agents for Xrealnet.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”