Stagnant swimming pool

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

jax47
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Stagnant swimming pool

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by jax47 »

Hi

We've just realised the swimming pool at the empty house next door to us is not now being maintained. The water is green and there are mosquitos.

Is there anyone I can report this to please?

Many thanks

mermaidsexist
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Stagnant swimming pool

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by mermaidsexist »

local belediyesi, they take it seriously. if the pool is not cleaned after a visit from the belediyesi the owner is usually fined as it is deemed a health risk.

Yes and no
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Yes and no »

They will probably empty it as well. I've seen it done.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Standard advice is to pour a pint or so of Diesel into the pool, this will form a film on the surface, and suffocate mosquitoes and anything else trying to breed in there!

jax47
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by jax47 »

Thank you very much, we're Ozankoy so will try there first.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Stagnant swimmimg pool

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Same happened to us about 4 years ago, we reported it and Alsancak Belediye sent a couple of guys up the next day BUT not before they both had half an hour swimming, having a good time and washing their shorts and T shirts. Only in TRNC.!!!!!! Then they sprayed the surface of the water and channel. They came back next day and sprayed a second time. Neighbours were charged about 40tl and a bill put into their letter box. Probably considerably more now though.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Keithcaley wrote:Standard advice is to pour a pint or so of Diesel into the pool, this will form a film on the surface, and suffocate mosquitoes and anything else trying to breed in there!
Better still paraffin... non polluting, not harmful to birds and a less smelly for the neighbours...

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

What about animals (including humans) that might fall into a pool polluted with paraffin or petrol, or other

If and when the pool is emptied but not covered and if you can get access, please wedge a plank of wood from the bottom to the top of the pool. This will give stray dogs, hedgehogs etc. which might fall in and otherwise starve to death a chance to climb out.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Ragged Robin wrote:What about animals (including humans) that might fall into a pool polluted with paraffin or petrol, or other

If and when the pool is emptied but not covered and if you can get access, please wedge a plank of wood from the bottom to the top of the pool. This will give stray dogs, hedgehogs etc. which might fall in and otherwise starve to death a chance to climb out.
Well, Groucho did say that a relatively small amount of paraffin was harmless to birds, and he should know, so I would be inclined to think that it would not harm other small animals...

I do agree about providing an escape route however, having lost one cat to drowning in a water storage tank where the water level was a couple of feet below the rim. .. - the farmer had rescued her once before, but sadly didn't hear her the second time. ..

Every tank in my vicinity now has a 'plank'!
Last edited by Keithcaley on Mon 28 Aug 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

actually Keith I had not thought about animals drowning: ! It was stories of animals which had fallen into an empty pool and been unable to get out that prompted the escape route suggestion but I suppose it applies to any form of unprotected water. Fortunately all the tanks under my control are covered.

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”