DOLPHIN MOVERS - Beware.

Moving to North Cyprus or returning home?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

DOLPHIN MOVERS - Beware.

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Just over 12 weeks ago we arranged for Dolphin to move our goods from the trnc to Spain (via the UK).
The two guys in the Karakum office were fine but most things went wrong once the packers came.

Unfortunately I was in hospital on the day so my wife had the job of monitoring the packing. Eventually all was done and taken away.

We left for Spain and after just over 12 weeks we received our consignment. Just days before that we had a call from a customs agent in Madrid informing me that I needed a trnc Government document proving I had been living in the trnc for the past 12 months. Not having been told by Dolphin that this was necessary we did not possess such a thing. After two days of sending utility bills, resident stamps from my passport and all manner of other stuff from my phone I was told the duty required might be as much as 900 euros. During the two days Dolphin kept their heads down and said nowt. Eventually I was told customs would accept 150 euros which I duly paid - a relative bargain I thought. When I returned from the bank I had a call saying customs had relented and would refund the money. Hoooray.
Last Sunday the goods arrived. As we started unpacking we discovered that our clothes including numerous suits, jackets, blazers etc had obviously been thrown in the boxes from several metres away. They resembled a pile of dish rags rather than expensive clothes. Apart from clothes that we personally packed in suitcases everything was creased beyond belief. Only a professiional steam pressing will restore them to their original condition.

We still have boxes to open so won't comment on whether stuff was damaged or not - we did not insure with Dolphin due to their ridiculous demand that EVERY item in the consignment hadd to be valued. That clearly is just a device to put people off from insuring.

Finally, I sent an email to the Dolphin Loondon office detailing my complaints. Nothing rude or abusive just in reasonable terms inviting their management to reply to my complaint. Surprise, surprise I have heard nothing from them, nor am I likely to.

Using Dolphin was a big mistake - don't make the same mistake, there are others out there and they can't be worse.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

Re: DOLPHIN MOVERS - Beware.

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by gates »

i have been posting on these and other movers for 11yrs my parents used Dolphin when returning from Spain to the uk and most was damaged or smashed . the same thing with other Co gone broke or not got your stuff . why not listen to me there is a Co i used Olay Trans lovely people help all the way it might be a bit dearer i dont know but only good news all the way with them
thankfully when i moved over i used them
wise up and listen they are the best

old trucker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by old trucker »

We have used dolphin twice and apart from being a little vague on arrival dates we have had no problems at all.

Jasja
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Jasja »

We had a quote from Dolphin to ship a container for us to Spain. It was over £8,000. No mention of needing item istimisation and prices. In the end we sold everything here. I gather from someone else if you're shipping to the UK now everything has to be itemised (I was shown the letter). We used Olytrans in the end the biggest mistake we ever made. In the end we packed and handed over to them 46 pieces which they assessed as 8.5cm3 and charged us for that amount. It all went in to storage in the UK! We didn't know they palletise everything. Greens received 2 pallets. Delivered 2 pallets. It was signed off as order delivered but it wasn't! Out of those 46 pieces 13 are missing. All of the the biggest pieces and all from the second page of inventory (16 in total on that page). On their own official paperwork they state 46 pieces. 2 pallets. Volume 4.5. So where is the missing volume (4). They also sent us the pallet spreadsheet showing which piece was put onto which pallet. Now they told me they are expert at packing pallets and in this case they worked a miracle. They put 29 predominantly large pieces on one pallet (5 of those were tea chest size) and 17 small to medium pieces on the second. So you tell me how they could possibly have done that because even mathematically you can't accomplish that much volume on one pallet! But they insist they did!
Last edited by Jasja on Sat 10 Feb 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jasja
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Jasja »

I wish I'd given our personal effects to charity instead we used Olytrans. The biggest mistake we ever made!

ITFCMike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by ITFCMike »

Used Olaytrans to get to TRNC ten years ago and were excellent,I mean really good, breezed through customs, attended in person.
I noticed the problems unattended importers were having.
Everyone seemed to be cousins,learnt a lot about how to get things done here, good price and about 10tl tax on a TV which they told me would happen.

Over the preceding years started hearing quite a few negative comments about Olaytrans,the personnel had changed and so had the service,so when we wanted to get some gear back to the UK could not consider Olayrans,Dolphin were a complete nono,heard a few good comments about Euromed so made contact and they were very good, no complaints.
So I recommended Euromed to some friends who were returning to the UK, Euromed made contact after some chasing and then did not come back with a quote so said friends used Olaytrans who proved to be far more efficient!

So the whole thing is a lottery really,nothing is reliable, you pay your money and take your chances.

I never recommend anything anymore.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I've never used Emel Shipping, but as they advertise on the Forum, it might be a good idea to ask them for a quote if anyone is currently thinking of moving.

Don't forget to mention Kibkom when you speak to them

http://emelshipping.net/

lasagne33
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by lasagne33 »

We used Dolphin Movers in May to get to TRNC. To be honest they were pretty rubbish.

They subbed out the packing, subbed out the container and subbed out the delivery inTRNC.

On arrival they hadn’t a clue about customs and to this day we still don’t really know what they did for their fee.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I've only ever heard good things about Olaytrans except for one person. Most posts regarding Dolphin have been bad news, you do the math, as our American cousins would say.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

I used Dolphin Movers in March 2018 to bring over two vehicles from the UK. I found Dolphin to be very professional. Communication could not be faulted. I was email advised the name of the ship, its UK departure date, its arrival in Turkey and its arrival in Famagusta. Dolphin staff in Karakum were also very helpful. Vehicles arrived as they were when they were left with Dolphin in Enfield, undamaged and nothing within had been tampered with. I'm sorry to read of other people's bad experience with Dolphin. Just saying here that my experience was a good one.
libens volens potens

Return to “SHIPPING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”