Initial Temporary Residence Requirements for Over 60s

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Awali
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Initial Temporary Residence Requirements for Over 60s

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Awali »

I understand the fact that people do not have to apply for a temporary visitors residence permit if you are over the age of 60, but if you do wish to apply, does anybody know what the requirements are for an initial temporary residence permit application for somebody that is over 60?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Initial Temporary Residence Requirements for Over 60s

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

This was in the latest BRS newsletter:

Over the past three months, the Government Liaison team has received many queries regarding the issue of Residency. The common misconception that if you are over 60, you do not need to apply for Temporary Residency, is incorrect.

All UK visitors receive an initial 90-day visitor’s visa when arriving in the TRNC and anyone exceeding that limit is in breach of the TRNC Immigration rules. The BRS website has a comprehensive section relating to this subject and it covers those persons who are both under and over 60. Some years ago, a waiver was negotiated with the TRNC Government which meant that persons over 60 need not to apply for Temporary Residency – BUT ONLY IF THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY SUCCESSFULLY APPLIED AND BEEN GRANTED THIS STATUS. If your passport contains the necessary visa showing that you have done this then there is no requirement to re-apply. If, however, you have NOT previously applied and been granted Temporary Residency then you are in breach of your visa conditions and are liable to pay a fine – currently set at 90tl per day overstay!

Full details on what to do can be found here http://www.brstrnc.com/index.php/lifest ... june-2017-

Awali
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Awali »

Come_on_aylin, that's very helpful. Thank you.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

It is useful information but I believe that it is out of date. I know of at least one person who is over 60, has never had residency and has come and gone through Metehan for over two years with no problem.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Don't think it's out of date as the date at the top is June 2017.

Interesting information for sure and you would presume if taken from the BRS website it would be up to date.

Maybe like a lot of things here....it's a bit grey.....or open to interpretation.......perphaps the person checking at the border see's your date of birth and recognises that you are over 60 or maybe the person handing the passport across just says "over 60" and they just let you pass thro as they don't know that you are supposedly to have at least one temp residency completed?

Who knows.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

come_on_aylin wrote:This was in the latest BRS newsletter:

Over the past three months, the Government Liaison team has received many queries regarding the issue of Residency. The common misconception that if you are over 60, you do not need to apply for Temporary Residency, is incorrect.

All UK visitors receive an initial 90-day visitor’s visa when arriving in the TRNC and anyone exceeding that limit is in breach of the TRNC Immigration rules. The BRS website has a comprehensive section relating to this subject and it covers those persons who are both under and over 60. Some years ago, a waiver was negotiated with the TRNC Government which meant that persons over 60 need not to apply for Temporary Residency – BUT ONLY IF THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY SUCCESSFULLY APPLIED AND BEEN GRANTED THIS STATUS. If your passport contains the necessary visa showing that you have done this then there is no requirement to re-apply. If, however, you have NOT previously applied and been granted Temporary Residency then you are in breach of your visa conditions and are liable to pay a fine – currently set at 90tl per day overstay!

The link you provide to BRS Website DOES NOT provide the above information for over 60s.

Full details on what to do can be found here http://www.brstrnc.com/index.php/lifest ... june-2017-

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Just to clarify that information was sent out by BRS on 31st August 2017. I imagine that PID is correct, that people get away with it because whoever checks the passport sees over 60 and leaves it at that. Be a bit of a blow for someone who's been coming and going from 2 years to come up against a jobs worth and be told they have to pay a huge fine, ouch

Sorry jayceebee, the link shows what to do for an initial application which is what the OP was asking for.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

My belief is that the authorities here do not want lots of foreigners becoming eligible for citizenship and voting rights, so the over sixties concession is a way of avoiding that. They know that most people over sixty will be spending their pensions and not working illegally so aren't too worried about them being here.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

As if we'd know who to vote for, it's hard enough in the UK.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

come_on_aylin wrote:As if we'd know who to vote for, it's hard enough in the UK.
Oh, the choice is made easy here!

Canvassing in TRNC is conducted by means of touring the villages in a pickup truck, loaded with Fridge Freezers and aircon units with which to buy the favours of the local Muhtar.

The Muhtar then tells the villagers how to vote!

It's really not that far removed from the UK system, where politicians try to bribe the electorate with promises of Tax cuts, etc. just a little more 'direct'

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

frontalman wrote:My belief is that the authorities here do not want lots of foreigners becoming eligible for citizenship and voting rights, so the over sixties concession is a way of avoiding that. They know that most people over sixty will be spending their pensions and not working illegally so aren't too worried about them being here.

So......"As You Were" methinks?

Went through Metehan in early August with no probs......

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

The people here are lovely, the guards at the crossings are generally very nice (we know one personally) and if you are a desirable person over 60 you will be OK. I say that because those computer records they look at hold all the information about you that they need. I know this because when I went to the police about the dog bite, the lovely Yalcin put my name in his computer and then proceeded to tell me my life history. There's no data protection act here

Lovekylie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Lovekylie »

Hi all can you clarify if the information below is still up to date . I am over sixty and told it was fine to just stay .
Regards all

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

also quite a few over 60's do go south for shopping therefore probably never in the country for over 90 days.
under 60's when they do this get asked questions if they have not got work permits or residency in the temporary category. of course this is totally off topic

Last time I took a couple along over 60

it was, kocan / contract, passport, bank account or pension confirmation and copies
muhtar letter, stamps and money to police station

then blood tests and 2 weeks later across to lefkosa to collect. results, money and stamps!

After the initial year they have gone themselves to lefkosa with the above paperwork and paid 2 years.

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”