Nosheen Restaurant - At last a decent Naan bread

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Nosheen Restaurant - At last a decent Naan bread

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

Nosheen has been on our list of places to try for ages and last night the opportunity came along in the form of supporting a Dance show by members of the Yalin Guest House , Girne ( You can Google it for details ).

I had booked a table for 8 with the display to start at 9.30. On arrival we were asked if we minded sharing a table,which was not a problem for us and already there was food on the table.The couple there said they thought it was a set menu that night and thought that what was on the table was to share but straight away a couple more portions tuned up.

The food was very tasty and especially the naan bread . Most Indian restaurants do not serve it now. We had tiny plates and after enjoying the food they brought out chicken tandoori legs , again which was very good.

Should have realised that the size of the plates indicated that this was the first course........( senior moment )

Well, when the main course came it again was truly delicious . It was for the 4 of us to share which included chicken jalfrezzie ( spelt wrong I know ) with a HUGE portion of their delicious naan bread. The waiter said if we wanted any more of anything to just ask. But we were pleasantly full and the cost of the set meal was TL30 plus our drinks.

Then we had the dancing display. It was brilliant. I have to confess I was a coward and just managed by the skin of my teeth to avoid being dragged up. But the dancers were amazing.

A truly very enjoyable evening and will definitely be returning to sample a little more of the menu.

For us, Nosheens got it very right.

Oh and we rolled out of there at 12.45 and the music was still going.
Always look on the Bright side of life. Monty Python - Life of Brian.
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Nosheen Restaurant - At last a decent Naan bread

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

I asked Khan at LeJardin catalkoy about the lack of nan bread in the "Indian" restaurants in the TRNC he said that it was an oven specification that is needed for the type of bread is not available

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

It seems some websites say they are fried and some say oven with different temps.

Either way, Nosheens had perfect Naan and will definitely be going back.
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

I too have noticed the lack of proper Naan breads here.
you need a proper 'Tandoor' to cook them-It's like a big clay pipe over hot coals and you stick the wet Naan dough to the side.
Although most places do have Tikka and Tandoori(which should be cooked in a Tandoor as the name suggests) dishes on offer-So they must be cooking these on a grill I suppose.
Its not difficult to build your own which I did in the UK using a chimney pot and it worked great..

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

If you are ever out 'East' try Jashans at Kucuk Erenkoy - they serve proper naan breads - garlic & coriander, peshwari or plain. They also do excellent tikka and tandoori dishes. Unfortunately, they close for the winter on 28th November until February so you'll have to be quick...

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

so does kamares where pasta mania used to be and they have indian chef not pakistani like most places have
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Mozgor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mozgor »

LooseBoots wrote:It seems some websites say they are fried and some say oven with different temps.

Either way, Nosheens had perfect Naan and will definitely be going back.

Personally I much prefer Chapatis, and a fried Chapati is a Paratha, don't know if there is such a thing as a 'fried' naan?

Traditionally, naan is cooked in a tandoor oven so if you get a 'fried' one, not nice!!!!

Having tried Nosheens, Jashans and Punjab - give me Jashans or Punjab any day of the week, much deeper flavour in the curry, not just spicy. Nothing wrong with Nosheens, but I much prefer the other two I've tried.

mamachina
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by mamachina »

Anyone been to Komares (or Kamares?) off the by-pass?
We always used to go to Nosheens, easily twice a month, but since it moved the food doesnt seem to be so good. Punjab, food ok but no ambience!

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

Well the ambiance at Nosheen`s was brilliant . not tried Jashan`s. Is the food quality consistent? Plus what`s the ambiance like?

Is there more than one?
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

Mozgor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mozgor »

mamachina wrote:Anyone been to Komares (or Kamares?) off the by-pass?
We always used to go to Nosheens, easily twice a month, but since it moved the food doesnt seem to be so good. Punjab, food ok but no ambience!

Just goes to show that we are all different, I thought Nosheens had no ambience and we much prefer the feeling and ambience of Punjab!

Jashan's in Karaolagnoglu was the first place for a curry we tried in 2006 and were amazed at how good it was. Also as it was winter, we were inside and the ambience was brilliant.

Moyra

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

There is also a Jashans a few kilometres East of Esentepe, they have a fabulous Indian chef who does great tandoori and lovely, proper Naan bread. Unfortunately, they are now closed for the winter until Feb/March time.

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”