Turkcell Monthly Service Contract

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Turkcell Monthly Service Contract

•   Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Anyone cancelled the above and if so how much notice do they want and were you charged for the privilege? Thanks

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Turkcell Monthly Service Contract

•   Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Hi sophie,
Changed to PAY AS YOU GO last week. Had our previous contract for over one year. After clearing our outstanding monthly Bill I paid 9tl and the change was effected.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks for that Munchy. Mine is a bit different though in that I'm thinking of changing to Vodaphone hence Telsim. Although people are warning me today that Vodaphone are useless and that I'll have nothing but trouble. The Vodaphone bloke said if Turkcell think you are changing provider, then they can clobber you for breaking your Contract with them, which we have had for 12 years. Decisions, decisions, decisions.!! BTW, just as a matter of interest, any particular reason why you changed from Contract to PAYG?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

sophie wrote:...The Vodaphone bloke said if Turkcell think you are changing provider, then they can clobber you for breaking your Contract with them, which we have had for 12 years..
What does your contract say about a Notice Period? I wouldn't have thought that you would need to give more than 1 month's notice - you don't need to give them a reason do you?

...and surely, if you were to change over to PAYG with Turkcell, and then take the SIM out and just don't actually pay for any credit, what can they do anyway?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

A few points to note regarding Vodafone and Telsim in TRNC - I have a UK Vodafone PAYG, which I can use normally in TRNC i.e. (up to now) with no roaming charges. I can also (normally) top up my phone online, but following a mid-transaction their server froze and I (temporarily) lost £30 (since recovered). I then went to a nearby Telsim (newly rebranded to Vodafone) shop, but learned that UK phones cannot be topped up in TRNC...
So I had to buy a Telsim PAYG sim...
From previous experience, again reinforced, I know that this sim will no longer operate when I return to TRNC through non-use - and Telsim sims are not recognised/will not operate in the UK Vodafone network, blocking the possibility of keeping it active....
So be aware that Telsim is part of Vodafone (or vice versa) in name only and probably will only operate in TRNC and possibly Turkey....

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Hi sophie, Nothing sinister. My wife's phone remains On Contract , so mine is for very limited usage.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

munchy wrote:... so mine is for very limited usage.
Such as ...'Receiving Instructions'...

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Getting concerned now!! The only thing that tempted me to the new Vodaphone/Telsim shop was that they stock makes of phone that Turkcell do not. I find they are horribly limited. Also, you don't have to change your Turkcell number, you pay Turkcell 5tl a month, they hold your number in case you need it in the future and then Vodaphone "adopt" it. Seems odd, but apparently its done all the time.!!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Funnily enough, had been thinking of changing to Telsim due to Vodaphone branding, as had problems with Turkcell connecting to UK network few months back at airport. Eventually got it working by manually going through each UK network and connected to 02. Not worth it if Telsim sims won't work in the UK. Their website certainly implies that you can connect to Vodaphone when abroad. https://www.kktctelsim.com/yurt-d%C4%B1 ... 1m-rehberi (Use Chrome for translation)

Telsim certainly have a better range of phones than KKTCell. Is it perhaps possible to buy a phone from them and use KKTCell sim card?

I did bring a payg Vodaphone sim used in UK back with me, which will try to keep active, but am not hopeful it will last until next, as yet unknown, trip back to UK.

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Is it possible to get a phone plus package from Turkcell, the only phone I can find on the website is their own brand, no Apple or Samsung etc.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Look at https://www.kktcell.com/cihazlar

No idea why they don't show all the devices available on the English part of their website.

Bonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Bonnie »

Morning Alphamike,

Yes it is possible to buy a phone in a Telsim outlet and change the sim card to Turkcell I have very recently done just that. Keeping my original Turckell no.
Visit the Turckell shop and they will do it for you in a matter of a few minutes for the cost of 10tl.
The reason I did this was because I found that I was unable to top up the Telsim credit in any of my local shops & had to travel out of my way to do it. I was reluctant to go down the online method of topping up. A bit of a technophobe and felt sure I'd get in a muddle.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thank you Bonnie, very useful to know.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I'm thinking of changing my UK mobile provider to Vodaphone in the UK so I don't get hit by high charges to make/receive calls when I'm in NC (I'm a snowbird).

I understand that UK Vodaphone has a package that charges UK rates when in Turkey. How long can I use that UK mobile in NC before it gets cut off because NC import tax hasn't been paid on the phone?

If I use my UK mobile to call local NC mobiles when I'm in NC or someone in NC were to call me, would the charges be higher than using a local PAYG mobile?

Advice gratefully received.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Anyone any idea, please?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Hector wrote:I'm thinking of changing my UK mobile provider to Vodaphone in the UK so I don't get hit by high charges to make/receive calls when I'm in NC (I'm a snowbird).

I understand that UK Vodaphone has a package that charges UK rates when in Turkey. How long can I use that UK mobile in NC before it gets cut off because NC import tax hasn't been paid on the phone?
90 days I think
Hector wrote:If I use my UK mobile to call local NC mobiles when I'm in NC or someone in NC were to call me, would the charges be higher than using a local PAYG mobile?

If you have a bundle of minutes and data on your uk sim , then calls out when your are in NC will counts against those in the same way and rates as your use in the UK. So you can call local NC mobile and landline as if you where in UK calling UK numbers. Calls in to your number will be for the caller 'international' and that may cost them more than calling a local NC number. You would also have data when in NC same as in the UK according to your 'package' - and with that and things like whatsapp people can contact you 'free' as one option.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Hector, you get 180 days with Vodaphone without using your phone before they cut you off. As long as you make a charged call or text, the number is kept alive. I have no idea how long it will work here, but can tell you that I brought back a PAYG Vodaphone sim in August of this year, and it is still working.

As for charges, you'd be better checking the Vodaphone website for up to date information. Suppose it depends whether you are on a contract or PAYG.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Hector,

If you’re using a U.K. Vodafone SIM in your phone then there’s no need to register the handset here in Cyprus. I believe it’s only if you bring in a handset and then use a TRNC SIM card in it (eg Telsim or Turkcell) that the handset needs registration.

I’ve had a cheapo U.K. handset for well over a year which holds a U.K. pay as you go Vodafone SIM whilst back home here in the TRNC. When I travel to the U.K. I put the Vodafone SIM into my iPhone and use that over there. That’s because there’s no roaming with a TRNC pay as you go SIM.

Vodafone charges European rates both here and in Turkey. Each time I cross the green line I get a message saying “You were expecting roaming charges but ....” It happens on the GC side and then again when I come back to our side.

I use the U.K. number for eg U.K. banking, airline reservations, or if using double authentication for any apps. Again that’s because my TRNC SIM can’t be used for roaming so if on holiday it’s no use.

Hope this makes sense!

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Thanks, guys, most helpful

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Hector wrote:I'm thinking of changing my UK mobile provider to Vodaphone in the UK so I don't get hit by high charges to make/receive calls when I'm in NC (I'm a snowbird).

If I use my UK mobile to call local NC mobiles when I'm in NC or someone in NC were to call me, would the charges be higher than using a local PAYG mobile?

Advice gratefully received.
I have just done that this week as I thought it would be easier than having to go every month and top up my TRNC phone and then find that the shop has none left so have to go into the shop in Girne. I asked the question in the Vodafone shop here in the UK and was told 'officially' 90 days but as long as you don't hammer it while you are there they leave you alone. We will seldom use it for a call on their network as most of the calls will be made whilst in the home off the wifi but we were with Tesco mobile who charged for everything including text messages so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I have just done that this week as I thought it would be easier than having to go every month and top up my TRNC phone and then find that the shop has none left so have to go into the shop in Girne. I asked the question in the Vodafone shop here in the UK and was told 'officially' 90 days but as long as you don't hammer it while you are there they leave you alone. We will seldom use it for a call on their network as most of the calls will be made whilst in the home off the wifi but we were with Tesco mobile who charged for everything including text messages so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Yes, please let us know. Thanks

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

My wife and I have been running Vodafone UK pay monthly packages since end of February this year. Phones used for the most part in TRNC or RoC, just the occasional week back in the UK. No issues with TRNC phone registration because the phones are not using TRNC network SIMs. Vodafone UK have not (yet) moaned about virtually continuous use of the phones outside of the UK. Looking back at our data usage, texting and phone calls, these have not been excessive and we stay well within our 5Gb monthly data allowance. Have I tempted fate by posting this, probably...
libens volens potens

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”