Streamvia problem with BBC i-player?

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Streamvia problem with BBC i-player?

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

I have been successfully using Streamvia VPN for over 2 weeks to record BBC programmes. However last night when going on the website it said 'Sorry only works in the UK' despite opening the VPN first. Funnily enough I was able to record further episodes of programmes on which I had already set up on 'Series Record' but cannot record anything new?
Anyone else having this problem & any solution please?

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Streamvia problem with BBC i-player?

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

I have been using MPN VPN for the past few weeks, as my Multimax one seems to be having problems. MPN was fine up until yesterday, but now keeps disconnecting itself and won't download more than one programme at a time, and I have to keep checking to see if it is still connected. Then when it disconnects, I get the download failed message and have to start all over again. I also have experienced the problem you describe, but provided I connect the VPN before opening up the browser it works fine. All very frustrating. Maybe the BBC have found a way of preventing the use of VPNs.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I had a problem with Windscribe VPN last night, BBC iPlayer showed as not in UK. Clearing the cache, closing and reopening browser, and it worked fine. You could try that with your VPN to see if that resolves the issue.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

I use streamvia have their VPN but always use the smartstream option that comes free with the monthly fee and that is working. Is sooo much quicker than the VPN too, and it is always 'there' once downloaded just a matter of either downloading next episode or clicking on iplayer and loading. The help section of streamvia is very efficient too....

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thanks for replies I have put off using the smartstream as it looks complicated to set up so it looks like I will have to bite the bullet & do it!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

ozankoys wrote:Thanks for replies I have put off using the smartstream as it looks complicated to set up so it looks like I will have to bite the bullet & do it!
It isn't complicated really, just follow the instructions - it works a treat!

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Keith as an Essex blonde I can hardly read!

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Astrill VPN working OK as normal.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Another option (suggested by a friend when we arrived last week) is (on laptop/PC) Easyview - gives several Freeview channels, no VPN required, and so far I've had no buffering or any other problems, other than no catchup is available - it's "live" only, with the associated time of day problem.....

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

jofra wrote:Another option (suggested by a friend when we arrived last week) is (on laptop/PC) Easyview - gives several Freeview channels, no VPN required, and so far I've had no buffering or any other problems, other than no catchup is available - it's "live" only, with the associated time of day problem.....
Another couple of "Live Only" with no need for VPN, which you might like to bookmark.

https://tvcatchup.com/

https://www.firstonetv.net/Live/United-Kingdom
There are some hidden channels. Being nosy, I signed up to see what they were, and they are sports channels, which might be of interest to some. There are other countries, apart from the UK available https://www.firstonetv.net/Live

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Not sure if this might help but sometimes I get the old ‘Not in the UK’. Sometimes I disconnect / reconnect or restart iPlayer / skygo and it suddenly works again.

Yilly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Yilly »

Hi there

I am using a Smart DNS service and have no issues with BBC, I've been using this service for over 2 years, From time to time it may be down for 2 - 3 days at a maximum but this has only happened about 3 times in the last 2 years.

There is a 14 day Free Trial available and if you decide to purchase the product you will get a VPN included also the ability to watch US Netflix

If you need assistance with setting up PM me your phone number and I will assist

https://goo.gl/kqDMYQ

After the 14days FREE trial
Subscription packages are just $39.90 USD for 1 year or $49.90 for 2 years
or try monthly $4.90

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Hi Yilly,
I have been successfully watching BBC iplayer until this morning but my VPN no longer works and the website has recognised that I am outside of the UK.
Can you tell me if you can still watch BBC iplayer as from today?
Many thanks.
Judy

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

judyvin wrote:Hi Yilly,
I have been successfully watching BBC iplayer until this morning but my VPN no longer works and the website has recognised that I am outside of the UK.
Can you tell me if you can still watch BBC iplayer as from today?
Many thanks.
Judy
BBC iPlayer working ok here this morning using streamvia's smartstream (dns redirect) service.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Hi Erol, would you mind sending me a link for the DNS you use and does it work on several devices eg laptop/desk
top, tablet, Android box simultaneously or do you have to purchase one for each. I am assuming that the MM free VPN no longer works btw.
I don't suppose there us anything that you are aware of that will work directly on my tv (Samsung Smart).
Many thanks
Judy
[email protected]

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

judyvin wrote:Hi Erol, would you mind sending me a link for the DNS you use and does it work on several devices eg laptop/desk
top, tablet, Android box simultaneously or do you have to purchase one for each. I am assuming that the MM free VPN no longer works btw.
I don't suppose there us anything that you are aware of that will work directly on my tv (Samsung Smart).
Many thanks
Judy
[email protected]
I use a service from these people https://www.streamvia.com/. A subscription with them provides both a dns redirect solution (that they call smart stream) and a traditional vpn based solution, all in the one monthly price. Differences between these two options (dns redirect and vpn) have been covered here http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... 46&t=42017. Their smartstream (dns redirect) service 'applies' to a single internet connection and would support any number of devices simultaneously on the same internet connection that have had the appropriate dns setting put on them. The traditional vpn service could be put on many different devices but my understanding is it will only work on any one given device at any given time (from any internet connection).

The MM VPN still works currently for 'everything' except the BBC.

Streamvia's dns redirect service (smartstream) can be used with smart TV's and they have pretty good set up guides for samsung tv's which can be found here (scroll down a bit to the tv devices section and there are guides for pre 2015 samsung smart tvs and post 2015 samsung smart tvs) https://help.streamvia.com/SmartStream

It was to use the native smamsung smart tv apps for things like bbc iplayer and itv player that I first started using stremavia's service and have been using for several years now for such and personally have been happy with the service.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Thank you Erol, that's great! Judy

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Many thanks for the recommendations for StreamVia and Smart Stream. Excellent service etc.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”