General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

RoC new border regulations.

•   Message 1 of 180 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

Cyprus Mail reports, inter alia, a proposal to bar all third country nationals crossing into the South from the North. After Brexit "UK ex pats" become third country nationals. This is supposedly aimed at those entering Cyprus via illegal ports such as Ercan. More information may clarify what is proposed. No doubt such regulations will be used to create maximum damage to the TRNC.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: RoC new border regulations.

•   Message 2 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Link to article here

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/11/27/ban- ... n-updated/

I note
Cyprus must inform the European Commission of the proposed changes, which will be put into place if no objection is raised within one month.
We will have to see how the EU commission responds to this ,or not, I guess.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

This is pretty big news with potentially serious consequences for UK nationals living in the North. If the EU allows this to pass and if we come out of EU on 31st Jan 2020, then that will be it for crossing as UK nationals as of that date as far as I can see. All this on top of the immigration changes the trnc is already putting in place.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 180 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

erol wrote:This is pretty big news with potentially serious consequences for UK nationals living in the North. If the EU allows this to pass and if we come out of EU on 31st Jan 2020, then that will be it for crossing as UK nationals as of that date as far as I can see. All this on top of the immigration changes the trnc is already putting in place.
Time to abandon ship, despite the lovely TC people.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 180 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

erol wrote:This is pretty big news with potentially serious consequences for UK nationals living in the North. If the EU allows this to pass and if we come out of EU on 31st Jan 2020, then that will be it for crossing as UK nationals as of that date as far as I can see. All this on top of the immigration changes the trnc is already putting in place.
As I understand it if we come out with the "Boris deal" everything stays the same until Jan 2021 as transition perion
2020 is for the negotiation of a new deal with the eu

But I would not trust them as far as I could throw roc or eu

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

wanderer wrote:
As I understand it if we come out with the "Boris deal" everything stays the same until Jan 2021 as transition perion
2020 is for the negotiation of a new deal with the eu

But I would not trust them as far as I could throw roc or eu
Yeah I think you are right. I kind of missed the transition period, so thanks for pointing it out.

Personally I am not sure the EU will just accept this change without resistance and it may well be that the RoC is doing this as much to try and gain some 'leverage' over other issues it has with the EU , like maybe golden passports issue, as to actually secure EU consent to such a change.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Why should the EU care about what the RoC does with regard to its own border with a non-existent country?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

They will lose a lot of revenue then.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Mowgli597 wrote:Why should the EU care about what the RoC does with regard to its own border with a non-existent country?
I would suggest for all the same reasons it cared when it drew up the Green Line regulations in the first place when the RoC first entered the EU and made such regulations only alterable with its consent and not unilaterally by the RoC.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Deniz1 wrote:They will lose a lot of revenue then.
The population of ROC is around 1.25 million.

At a guess, there are probably around 10,000 British ex-pats in TRNC - not all of whom spend money in ROC.

As ROC already prohibits Mainland Turks, Pakistanis and some other non-EU citizens from crossing the Green Line (N to S), they obviously place a greater importance on the Political and (anti-) social effects of such a ban than they do on the relatively insignificant income to be derived from allowing such movement.

Other, 'EU' ex-pats, Germans et al, would, of course, be unaffected by such a ban, even if the ROC were allowed to impose it, and Turkish Cypriots would still be free to cross at will.

IMO, the ROC Government would consider the withdrawing of support and comfort to Brits (in the way of shopping, air travel, recreation etc.) and the Political Capital to be gained, and the potential damage to TRNC Building and Tourism sectors which would ensue, as more than adequate compensation for a slight loss of income.

Whether or not ROC shopkeepers etc. would agree, I can only speculate

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 180 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

The article refers to "implementation to prohibit the movement of third-country nationals arriving from an illegal entry point, such as Tymbou (Ercan) airport to areas controlled by the Republic."

So if you fly into Larnaca as, perhaps, the majority of us do then there should be no problem - providing they do not try and stop you crossing from the South to the North at Metahan?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

...providing they do not try and stop you crossing from the South to the North at Metahan
...and therein lies the rub!

Countries generally are entitled to ask people arriving at their borders:

a) Purpose of visit, how long they will be staying, etc &

b) To provide proof that they have accomodation arranged in their jurisdiction.
Last edited by Keithcaley on Thu 28 Nov 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 180 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Also visa being introduced or used for non EU countries so UK passport holders who are TRNC residents will not effectively be able to use Larnaca because they will overstay the roc visa

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

So far as I understand they will not be able to turn people back at Metehan who have entered via Paphos or Larnaca but they will be able to turn them back at the airport before they have actually entered the country. Therefore the worry for anyone arriving in the south to travel north is whether they will be placed on the first flight back!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

So until my eu passport expires will i be able to cross? Not that I am bothered. An english person who is a TRNC citizen could have a problem? Thats not me by the way.

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 180 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

An extract from HM Gov advice on post Brexit visas and the RoC is as follows:-

"Visas and residency after Brexit
Read the Cypriot government guidance on Brexit and residency in Cyprus in both a deal and no deal scenario.

If the UK leaves with a deal, travel to the EU will remain the same as now until the end of the implementation period. You will not need to apply for a visa to travel or work in the EU during this time.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the rules for travelling or working in Europe will change.

If there’s no deal, the European Commission has proposed that British citizens would not need a visa for short stays in the EU, including Cyprus. You would be able to stay in Cyprus for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Visits to Cyprus within the previous 180 days before your date of travel will count against the 90-day limit. As Cyprus is not in the Schengen area, visits to other EU countries will not count against this total.

On arrival, you may be asked to confirm that you have sufficient funds available for the duration of your stay. As non-EEA nationals, different border control checks will apply, and you may also be asked to show a return or onward ticket. UK nationals would not have an ongoing right to use the separate lanes provided for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals.

The Republic of Cyprus does not recognise the self-declared ‘Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus’ in the north of Cyprus, nor residence permits issued by the administration there. After Brexit, the Republic of Cyprus intends to treat UK visitors, including those travelling to or from the north, as other non-EU nationals for visa purposes, unless they are registered as resident in the Republic.

The current practice in the Republic is for non-EU nationals who do not require a visa to be admitted for 90 days, and for passports to be stamped accordingly. If that happens, the Republic of Cyprus authorities may count time spent in the north of Cyprus towards the 90 day visa free total. If you overstay, you may potentially face difficulties at the airport on exit or re-entry.

If you’re intending to stay for longer than 90 days, or your stay would take you over the 90 days in the 180-day limit, you may need to get a visa before you travel."

Not encouraging!

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

erol wrote:
Mowgli597 wrote:Why should the EU care about what the RoC does with regard to its own border with a non-existent country?
I would suggest for all the same reasons it cared when it drew up the Green Line regulations in the first place when the RoC first entered the EU and made such regulations only alterable with its consent and not unilaterally by the RoC.
Ah. Thank you Erol. That’s something I didn’t know.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Maybe I missed it first time round or maybe it was updated but the CM article (now?) says

Tourists will also be allowed through, as long as they will not be staying in Greek Cypriot properties.
As far as I understand things this was exactly the kind of rule the RoC wanted when negotiating green line regulations with the EU as part of its accession process and that the EU would not agree to back then, not for EU nationals or for third party nationals. The situation now however is quite different. The RoC is a full and equal member of the EU and not looking to become such, so who knows how this will go.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

If a UK national whilst being a third country national, either because the UK leaves the EU without a deal, or for any other reason, chooses to cross from the North to the South, using the crossing near Pile, would those that man the crossing point stop UK citizens from crossing into UK Sovereign territory?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 180 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Butterflyaway wrote:If a UK national whilst being a third country national, either because the UK leaves the EU without a deal, or for any other reason, chooses to cross from the North to the South, using the crossing near Pile, would those that man the crossing point stop UK citizens from crossing into UK Sovereign territory?
As there is no physical crossing point at Pyla (Pile) I am non-plussed to offer an opinion. I would suspect the SBA authorities will do what the RoC Government tells it what to do. Post-Brexit, UK nationals will face difficulties with RoC dealings if the UK actually does leave.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 21 of 180 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

tomsteel wrote:
Butterflyaway wrote:If a UK national whilst being a third country national, either because the UK leaves the EU without a deal, or for any other reason, chooses to cross from the North to the South, using the crossing near Pile, would those that man the crossing point stop UK citizens from crossing into UK Sovereign territory?
As there is no physical crossing point at Pyla (Pile) I am non-plussed to offer an opinion. I would suspect the SBA authorities will do what the RoC Government tells it what to do. Post-Brexit, UK nationals will face difficulties with RoC dealings if the UK actually does leave.

The crossing from the TRNC at Beyarmudu (Pergamos) enters the U.K. Sovereign Base Area. Similarly the crossing from the TRNC at Gazimagusa, known by the military as Black Knight or Vrysoulles and sometimes referred to as 4 mile point also enters the U.K. Sovereign Base Area.

Pyla/Pile does not have a direct crossing point and is situated approximately 2 miles from the border crossing point at Beyarmudu (Pergamos).

I am sure that if required the ROC will insist on some controls post Brexit on UK nationals crossing into the SBA’s and then subsequently entering the ROC.

Its an interesting conundrum because if you are a UK National and could not enter the SBA you would effectively be being refused entry into a U.K. area. However; I would be very surprised if it is as straightforward or easy as it is at present.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

torontomapleleaf
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 180 in Discussion

Post by torontomapleleaf »

Re SBA;
Myself and three others were members of Dhelalia golf club and used Black Night to cross; then in 2003 or 2004 the Greeks ordered the High Commission to deny us entry. That was it for us until the EU stepped in.
The Mountie always gets his man

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 23 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

torontomapleleaf wrote:Re SBA;
Myself and three others were members of Dhelalia golf club and used Black Night to cross; then in 2003 or 2004 the Greeks ordered the High Commission to deny us entry. That was it for us until the EU stepped in.
Apologies in advance, this is off topic and pedantic and probably a reflection of my own sensitivities more than anything else but would it not be more accurate to say "then in 2003 or 2004 the RoC government ordered the High Commission to deny us entry." ?

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 180 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

erol wrote:Maybe I missed it first time round or maybe it was updated but the CM article (now?) says

Tourists will also be allowed through, as long as they will not be staying in Greek Cypriot properties.
As far as I understand things this was exactly the kind of rule the RoC wanted when negotiating green line regulations with the EU as part of its accession process and that the EU would not agree to back then, not for EU nationals or for third party nationals. The situation now however is quite different. The RoC is a full and equal member of the EU and not looking to become such, so who knows how this will go.

Erol since they became fully paid members of the eu the roc have passed a couple of defining or is it divisive laws

1 All places in Cyprus have to be called on maps in the press tv and radio by their greek name and failure to do so is a criminal offence

2 The purchase selling renting or occupying of any greek property in the TRNC is a criminal offence
I don't think I'll be going south or arriving via the south for much longer

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 25 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Sorry my bad (anyone who read this pre edit) . my bad entirely.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

wanderer wrote:
erol wrote:Maybe I missed it first time round or maybe it was updated but the CM article (now?) says

Erol since they became fully paid members of the eu the roc have passed a couple of defining or is it divisive laws

1 All places in Cyprus have to be called on maps in the press tv and radio by their greek name and failure to do so is a criminal offence

2 The purchase selling renting or occupying of any greek property in the TRNC is a criminal offence
I don't think I'll be going south or arriving via the south for much longer
I hear what you are saying wanderer. The point for me is the RoC did not give up its 'absolute' sovereignty in the areas your examples are about on joining the EU. They did give up a significant degree of sovereignty with regards to the rules on who can and can not cross the green line on joining the EU. More sovereignty even that with other entry points to the RoC like Larnaca and Paphos airports.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Posh - "I am sure that if required the ROC will insist on some controls post Brexit on UK nationals crossing into the SBA’s and then subsequently entering the ROC.".

I have long pondered on this very thing and having viewed the borders of the SBA (in the Dhekelia areas) I have often wondered how the RoC will control entry to the EU as a motorway runs right through the SBA area? To comply with their own EU rules should they really have crossing points on the motorway and all entry and exit points from it?

It is interesting times for me, as my burial plot is already booked and the burial paid for when needed in the Military Cemetary at Dhekelia - wonder if I will just be left at the side of the road in no mans land, till the smell gets too much for either side to put up with - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

[quote="waddo"]

I have long pondered on this very thing and having viewed the borders of the SBA (in the Dhekelia areas) I have often wondered how the RoC will control entry to the EU as a motorway runs right through the SBA area?

Has the MOD police post, complete with oil drums, at either end of the Dhekelia SBA gone then?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 180 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Kanonier wrote:
waddo wrote:
I have long pondered on this very thing and having viewed the borders of the SBA (in the Dhekelia areas) I have often wondered how the RoC will control entry to the EU as a motorway runs right through the SBA area?

Has the MOD police post, complete with oil drums, at either end of the Dhekelia SBA gone then?

What road within the ESBA are you referring to? The crossing from Beyermadu into the SBA is controlled by the SBA Customs and Excise, not SBA Police. Having worked in Dhekelia, I've never encountered UK MoD Police there. SBA, RMP, Regt. Police Forces and CypPol - yes.

Cyprus Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Cyprus Hector »

So it appears for us, as British 'swallows' of many years, that our regular 1 - 2-month visits during the year to our villa in NC are coming to an end. We really don't want to go through the misery of applying for residency and anyway it now appears that our normal route of flights into Larnaca and a taxi over the border are going to be stymied by the RoC. Time to sell up (if we can) and move on, unfortunately. Shame.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 180 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Sounds about right for you. As permanent residents (11+ years) we are off too!

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

As swallows of 15 years we have decided that maybe it's time to throw in the towel, a caravan on the UK South Coast beckons!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 33 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Cyprus Hector wrote:So it appears for us, as British 'swallows' of many years, that our regular 1 - 2-month visits during the year to our villa in NC are coming to an end. We really don't want to go through the misery of applying for residency and anyway it now appears that our normal route of flights into Larnaca and a taxi over the border are going to be stymied by the RoC. Time to sell up (if we can) and move on, unfortunately. Shame.
1-2 months would be covered by a 90 day in 180 tourist visa, as property owners, would it not ? Or have I misunderstood ? As to being able to fly in via Larnaca it is far from certain if they will be blocked by the RoC proposed changes as that still need EU acceptance and still much uncertainty over brexit and the consequences of that on such routes in and out of TRNC ?

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

But we can only get a 30 day Visa at a time, I believe.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 35 of 180 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

erol wrote:
Cyprus Hector wrote:So it appears for us, as British 'swallows' of many years, that our regular 1 - 2-month visits during the year to our villa in NC are coming to an end. We really don't want to go through the misery of applying for residency and anyway it now appears that our normal route of flights into Larnaca and a taxi over the border are going to be stymied by the RoC. Time to sell up (if we can) and move on, unfortunately. Shame.
1-2 months would be covered by a 90 day in 180 tourist visa, as property owners, would it not ? Or have I misunderstood ? As to being able to fly in via Larnaca it is far from certain if they will be blocked by the RoC proposed changes as that still need EU acceptance and still much uncertainty over brexit and the consequences of that on such routes in and out of TRNC ?
Agree. The 1-2 months would be covered by the 90 days in 180 day visa. There are plenty of online searches which makes it easy to work out your 90/180 day stays. The bigger question is entry via the ROC, can you cross borders and how long can you stay.....but we will all have to wait until Brexit has or hasn’t happened before that becomes clearer......hopefully!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 36 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Maisiemoo wrote:But we can only get a 30 day Visa at a time, I believe.
My understanding is that if you own a property then you will get 90 days. There are issue about how this is proven on entry but I think they can and will be resolved ? Just my understanding which may well be wrong.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 37 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Maisiemoo wrote:As swallows of 15 years we have decided that maybe it's time to throw in the towel, a caravan on the UK South Coast beckons!
Seems a little defeatist...
Last edited by Keithcaley on Sat 30 Nov 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 180 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

erol wrote:.... As to being able to fly in via Larnaca it is far from certain if they will be blocked by the RoC proposed changes as that still need EU acceptance and still much uncertainty over brexit and the consequences of that on such routes in and out of TRNC ?
While it is indeed "far from certain", there is one fact that is 100%, rock-solid, gold-plated certain - it is and will be the individual, "feet-on-the-ground", on-duty official at the airport who faces you and decides whether you go back on the next flight - NOBODY else! Whether he is (in the) right or wrong makes NO difference then and there - sure, you can object and complain then and there - and possibly end up under arrest? You can object and complain AFTER you get back to the UK (or wherever) and possibly be told that the official in question was wrong, and that you will (?) get in next time...
But on the day, it depends totally on the degree of awkwardness/bloody-mindedness or agreeability that you encounter - and that is what concerns people...

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Oh dear!!

Of course the ROC will attack the weakened status of UK nationals who no longer have European status and associated rights and protections.

What did you expect??

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Very defeatist applying for residency is not a misery and its the worst time to try and sell up unless you are giving it away. I have nowhere else to go any way I dont want to leave here is home.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 180 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Surely if the roc refuse entry to UK citizens then the roc citizens would be refused entry to the uk. So that ain't going to happen, surely. The bigger question would be movement across the green line? I was relieved to hear from erol that the roc cannot make a unilateral decision on this!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 42 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

frugal90 wrote:Surely if the roc refuse entry to UK citizens then the roc citizens would be refused entry to the uk
By means of what mechanism or legislation do you envisage this being implemented?

Or is it simply that you think that new rules should be introduced in the UK as a sort of 'tit for tat' retaliation?

Post Brexit, unless continuing arrangements are agreed with the EU, then EU Citizens would lose the right of freedom to travel to the UK, just as UK Citizens would in the EU. They may be required to obtain a Visa, and to comply with it's conditions.

The fact remainsthat the Immigration Officer on duty when you arrive at Passport Control needs to be satisfied as to the legitimacy of your visit, and to enquire about your accommodation arrangements in that Country. He has the power to refuse entry, even if it is not actually embodied in legislation. Even the remote possibility of being put back on the 'plane would be enough to deter most people and enough to do immense harm to the TRNC Tourist Industry and economy - which the ROC Government has consistently aimed to do!

Even if you are allowed in, and you are given a time-limited Visa for your 'stay' in ROC, and overstay that Visa by travelling to the North and staying there, what do you think would happen when you try to cross back to the South?

Travel via Turkey will continue, and that may well become the favoured route.

Whether ROC will be able to prevent all non Eu persons from crossing the Green Line - North to South - remains to be seen.

Just my opinion

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

On the bright side, for all of those who have gone through the "misery" of completing residency every year, or two in some cases - it has become a way of life and there is little change to it apart from an addition of proven health insurance. They have all done that because they live here and want to continue to live here or because they have decided to support the country that provides them an inexpensive place to get away from life and enjoy holidays/life in the sun in comparative safety and peace. Additionally all these people (hopefully) must have factored into their finances the costs of remaining here down the years, inflation in all things and what they will do will in the case of medical emergencies. A large number of these same people are "Boat Burners", they have moved to the TRNC on a permanent basis and have nothing left to run away back to in their country of origin, they are here for the full ride! Apart from the normal "Human Nature" moans about how much more it will cost, why is there no defined list of services for which I am forced to pay and why don't we get told everything so we don't have to work it out for ourselves - along with the perennial complaints about the way the Government does things - in the main this group of people are quite happy with their lot!

On the dull side appears to sit the group of people who have enjoyed, and still continue (until recent law changes) to enjoy, all the benefits of a life in the sun, as and when they can fit it into their normal lives. Come and go as you please, hop the border for extra legal time here or never outstay your approved time allocation when you get here - they have never had to do more than that, even down to ignoring the legal requirements for driving licenses. This group seem to be more affected by recent changes in the law than any other, but surely they must have known that sooner or later the "Good Times" boat was bound to sail?

Now of course the RoC has - in the news - published that they will approach the EU to change Green Line regulations regarding third world nationals - really? Who was really surprised that the RoC would not take such a stance following the UK's vote to leave the EU? I read with little interest such phrases as "Loss of income to the RoC" and "Commonwealth" as if such things will really change the way the RoC will fail to provide protection for its own citizens by allowing any third world national free access to it facilities! Whichever group of people we fit into, no matter if we live here permanently or just come on extended visits, we all must have understood that we live in/visit a country that is first and foremost trying to provide for its own citizens. In exactly the same way that our countries of origin have done for theirs!

Things change here, they must or there is no future for here! We must all make our own choices to stay, move onwards to another place or to go back from where we came and yes, we can all complain (human nature dictates we will) but can we not either leave or remain with the good grace with which we came? As the years swiftly pass us all by, there comes a time when the majority of us cease to think of the "What might have beens" and instead we put our efforts into enjoying the years left to us, as best we can!

I feel sure that the majority of all readers will see themselves in some of the things I have written above, maybe some will not and definitely some will disagree with everything, again this is human nature and to be expected. So what was the point of me putting my thoughts on this forum? Simply that the World has not come to an end because things have changed here - there is more to life than sitting on your thumb and hoping that somebody else will solve your problem for you. Rather than moaning about it, get behind it and solve it, whatever "it" is or ask for help in doing that.
Oh how I wish I was rich enough to solve all my own problems, never mind everyone else's. But wishes and dreams are exactly that so I live with my own decisions - without the help of 20/20 hindsight - and hope that all readers can do the same. Good luck to all in whatever you decide to do next but always remember the good times you have had here whatever you do!

Written in an unusually calm and reflective mood this bright and sunny morning in November!!!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Ah the voice of reason Waddo. Mark my words you will never get far in life thinking like that!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 45 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

He hasn't!

He's stuck here!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Got as far as I want to go mate, any further and I will have to look back again - and it's a long way to look, lol.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 180 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

We're same as Waddo. Nowhere to go in UK regardless of what Boris and Co., wangle. Couldn't sell property even if we wanted to do (No complete Kojan and never ever likely to get one) If push came to shove and for some reason or another we were forced to leave, I'd rather have a tent on the beach, than leave my furbabies behind - couldn't afford to take five of them in any case. (there were four until last week - don't ask!!!) Last but not least I do feel insulted and aggrieved in being referred to as a "third country National". Still, I've always believed that "every dog has its day" and I guess that most of us have had ours now. Let the others take the reins and see what sort of mess or otherwise they make of things.

jackvern
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 180 in Discussion

Post by jackvern »

Totally agree with you Waddo. You have spelt it out very clearly. We live here because we love it warts and all.
We still own property in Blighty and could return if we wanted to but after having visited this year it holds nothing for us. We feel safe here in old age and have tried to comply with all,regulations, We have never used the state hospitals but prefer the private clinics etc but totally agree with the state medical insurance and will purchase this when renewing residency. After all we all paid into the NHS and this is much cheaper.

Having lived here for 15 years we have seen many of our fellow countrymen living under the radar and boasting about it. Trips over the border etc. How many times have we been ridiculed for continuing with residency? Well its all a level playing field now and once up and running it’s not a great ordeal,

In my opinion the Greeks are being out foxed by Turkey in relation to Varosha, drilling and opting for a two,state solution. They are running out of excuses and the border closure issue is payback. It’s not going all their way. Let’s see what the EU have to say about it.

Great little country to live in.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

Absolutely spot on from both waddo and jackvern!

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Yes Waddo, Sophie and Jackvern well said.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”