General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Repairs to a steel door frame

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Bit of rust needs repairing on the frame of a steel door. Suggestions please, it's only a bit and want to treat it while I still can and before it gets worse. Knock out the rust, treat with krust then car body filler maybe?? What would I look for here, what would I ask for in a yapi please that might work if not car body filler? Thanks in advance

Tanky
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Repairs to a steel door frame

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Tanky »

sorry I posted my reply to you instead of submit. Hope you find it in your box. If not let me know.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Can't see any private message I am afraid??

Tanky
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Tanky »

Hi Frugal90. I am surprised it is a steel door frame and not Aluminium. However if there is rust then it must be steel. What I would do is call in at a local garage to see what they use on cars and who knows you may be given just enough to treat your small area instead of you going out and buying a full tin Apart from that your own idea sounds good as that is what we used on the boat and it worked well as long as the filler is rubbed down well to a smooth finish. Local garages are very helpful.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Just go to car spares shop sell tin of car filler. Easy to apply. Rub down and paint

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Just go to car spares shop sell tin of car filler. Easy to apply. Rub down and paint
I would add car body filler comes in two parts - large ting with small tube of hardener; usually a pea size of hardener to paste. Large tin will keep a long time if lid sealed properly.

For painting you can also use Hammerite paint, designed to coat rusty metal, so does not require you to take the old rust off (unless there are loose huge flakes!). Comes in smooth or hammered finishes.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Have seen metal filler sold in supermarkets and yapi's on a card, comes has two pellets that you mix together and mold to shape, sand when dry.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Applying vinegar to rust dissolves the oxide and leaves behind a water-soluble salt that you can remove easily. It is called neutralisation, and this reaction happens between rust and acetic acid, which is why cleaning vinegar helps remove iron oxides from household surfaces and objects.
Then add filler, smooth down and paint.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Great hints

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”