General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Taxing car in south

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

How does one tax car for more than 1 day if staying in the south?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Taxing car in south

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

My understanding is that unless you are a Turkish Cypriot or hold an EU passport, then you can't.

Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving :)

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 29 Feb 2024 5:15 pm
My understanding is that unless you are a Turkish Cypriot or hold an EU passport, then you can't.

Thanks for info.
If it’s due to brexit how come that you can take your car from Uk to Europe for more than 1 day without too much trouble?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Brazen wrote:
Fri 01 Mar 2024 2:08 pm
Keithcaley wrote:

Thanks for info.
If it’s due to brexit how come that you can take your car from Uk to Europe for more than 1 day without too much trouble?

Once we left the EU, the GC's were no longer obliged to allow us all the rights and privileges that EU citizens are entitled to, and jump at every chance they get to make life awkward for any non-Cypriots living in the North.

As to your question about Europe, that is a different question altogether - you could ask someone with more knowledge of that particular situation...

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Because Cyprus is not in Europe? That maybe the reason. Just a guess mind you - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Keithcaley wrote:

The TOM is a tax exemption certificate, as I was told very clearly this car, this licence, this passport, this man 1 day. I contacted the SBA base as all that is required is access on the base but legally you do need insurance and TOM. I explained the 1 day and only issued at metehan and they suggested I gave the dates required. Unfortunately we have to go in the morning to metehan and get the TOM and he goes via Pyle later in the day.
As its a tax exemption, a good idea would be to charge for 90 days. This would also let people know that when it expires they can't go south for next 90 days. At metehan sometimes they wave you through just looking at the outside of the passport and other times log your details.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

SND1966, and sometimes if you come back through Metahan the Greek side will ask to see your insurance! Has happened to me twice so far in the last three months so beware - not that anyone from this side would ever drive in the South without getting insurance and TOM first of course!

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Waddo have you managed to get the eye test, the bubbles ask us old buggers for now. Before they will grant us a 1 date TOM

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mimi2, I have my eyes tested every two years by AA Optical in the South but so far have not been asked for an eye test!! Thanks for the reminder that I should go this month for my next one - lol.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mimi2, went South today and nothing mentioned about eye tests - maybe because the office opened late and the que of people waiting for their TOM was quite long so it was just rushed through! Did get stopped and checked by our Northern customs on the way back home but it was only for a look see and no questions were asked of me. Guess they are now used to seeing our car packed tight in the boot and don't want to dig in too deep in case the pile of stuff won't fit back in again - lol. The guys were even friendly and full of smiles, unlike the miserable passport checker on the way back out of the South!!

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Mimi. I asked about that and Mr Charmless said as long as I renew my UK licence at 70 that is all I need to do. Remains to be seen when I go later this month....

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”