General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Who is making the big bucks profits??

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Today I bought a small silicon "thingy" that I have to wear (the size and shape of a very small thimble) from my local pharmacist,
Cost at beginning of January 95tl, cost today 275tl. The pharmacist was embarrassed, so much so that she showed me the suppliers invoice and gave me a small discount.

Also today I went into local Supermarket to buy a small ready made salad roll. On Friday cost 62.45tl. Today 82.99tl .

I know the money is fluctuating on a daily basis, but not to this extend. Someone is really being greedy and please don't go on at me about basic wages because they are not being increased to this extent..

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Who is making the big bucks profits??

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

It's just greedflation and complacency. Customers everywhere are generally getting even more of a raw deal than they were previously. You can bet your bottom ₺ that when inflation goes down, markets settle and manufacturers / producers costs go down, the prices we pay will remain high for as long as possible as we've been conditioned into forking out. If prices do eventually go down they'll do so as slowly as possible. But when the media report on something that "means higher prices on the forecourt" or in the shops, they'll go back up again practically straight away.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

I went to a supermarket in Çatalköy, not naming names for fear of being er "negative" but half the shelves didn't have prices. How is anyone meant to shop like that!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

In the last year everything has gone up, a lot! 9 months ago my haircut was a hundred, now 350. Electric, logs, beer, wine spirits, restaurant prices have shot up. Last Saturday we went to our local Indian restaurant, when we arrived it was in darkness, we were about to turn around when the owner came out and invited us in. We went in at 7.15 pm left at 8.45, we were the only people in there.
Petrol, meat especially lamb has gone up sharply. We bought 4 medium size salmon fillets, 680 TL, I nearly fell through the floor! Its so bad here now we are out of here after 21yrs.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Yes I was going to.post about salmon in sah supermarket it rocketed ...

I like to buy from.there because they cut it nicely into small boneless fillets..about 3 week's ago I think it was 570 tl per kg ..a bit more than my local but as I say they have it in ready cut in portions .

Last week.780 tl.??? An almost 50% rise ??

Has all salmon gone up that much I need to check elsewhere...as that's ridiculous

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Reyntj wrote:
Mon 26 Feb 2024 5:12 pm
Yes I was going to.post about salmon in sah supermarket it rocketed ...

I like to buy from.there because they cut it nicely into small boneless fillets..about 3 week's ago I think it was 570 tl per kg ..a bit more than my local but as I say they have it in ready cut in portions .

Last week.780 tl.??? An almost 50% rise ??

Has all salmon gone up that much I need to check elsewhere...as that's ridiculous
Salon always was nearly the same price as eg, in germany. "frozen defrosted" in boneless portions from Lidl is now about 24 euros.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Mon 26 Feb 2024 12:04 pm
Today I bought a small silicon "thingy" that I have to wear (the size and shape of a very small thimble) from my local pharmacist,
Cost at beginning of January 95tl, cost today 275tl. The pharmacist was embarrassed, so much so that she showed me the suppliers invoice and gave me a small discount.

Also today I went into local Supermarket to buy a small ready made salad roll. On Friday cost 62.45tl. Today 82.99tl .

I know the money is fluctuating on a daily basis, but not to this extend. Someone is really being greedy and please don't go on at me about basic wages because they are not being increased to this extent..

Just on your silicone “thingy”……..

Nothing to do with greed, silicone increase in price is due to supply chain issues and shortage of the raw materials that make up silicone are in very short supply and that’s now world wide. China supplies the metaloid that goes into the process and China are the biggest suppliers but because they introduced energy rationing 6 months ago and in turn it closed down the manufacturers who supply it, so it’s down to them. As you know, Russia-Ukraine war triggered the energy crisis in Europe.

In U.K. it’s becoming a big problem in the construction industry, here in the South East we have thousands and thousands of homes being built. It’s got that bad that our local Homebase store had to put up a notice up because of the complaints of price increases in store regards silicone/resin.

It was bound to reach you eventually.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Yeah I did research salmon I think.its £23 kg; n Tesco so it's still a bit cheaper here but I need to check the fish shops I'm. presuming it's gone up there to and nit just sah.

I'm sure I read somewhere that turkey has many salmon farms which in theory should make it cheaper here

Just googled for info

htTps://www.turkishsalmon.org/

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

inflation in TRNC is indeed shocking. The collapse of the tl continues to fuel inflation. President Erdogan doesn't seem to be willing or able to stabilise the ship.
I fear for the TRNC particularly construction and banking Construction projects seems to continue without pause. The financing of these via any TRNC banks charging all time high interest rates must put massive pressure on cash flow for many construction entities.
Property prices and rents are also at all time high. How the lower paid manual workers on minimum wage survive..who knows?
The monetary and supply and demand bubble must soon burst with some big consequences.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”