General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Chimney Sweep Query

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Just a query for now = Karsiyaka area. Are there chimney sweeps who use very flexible tubing attached to small flue brush ??

There are two tight bends in the flue for our burner and last time it was swept they had to take the whole burner plus flue out of the chimney. It was a mess wrecking the hearth and breaking the back chimney cover! They did put it all back but surely there must be a better way? When I asked about using flexible brush and tubing the men just shrugged!

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Chimney Sweep Query

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi SD,

I have a wood burner and the chimney goes up two floors then another 10' above flat roof. I borrowed a proper UK chimney sweep brush/flexible rod sections & cleaned mine this summer . I also have one bend into the wall and another two in the house.

Thought I had cleaned it through, but on lighting it the first time this winter it had all gotten stuck in the 1st bend, don't ask what happened in the house (:()) ((W\)) (:Z) !

So I had to cut an access panel and then made a metal plate, securing it with high temp engine gasket stuff (worked all winter thus far) into the metal chimney pipe to enable to clean around the bends- flexible genuine sweep pipe simply couldn't get round the bend. So you might need to add an access hatch to the pipe with the bend?

If you go south, Super Home Centre used to sell chimney brushes (metal) and rods, but another alternative, is to get one of those electricians thin wire rolls for pulling cables in pipes through, using that pulling a piece of rope through with a tightly tied bundle of rags or similar to pull chimney through?

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Thank you. Unfortunately there isn't enough room above burner to cut access panel into flue pipe as very short piece before first bend then second one is behind a fixed panel. I had thought of that. Sad to hear flexible brush etc didn't work. So looks like everything will have to come out again next winter! 're mess in room, we know what that was like as same thing happened here, thought blockage was all out but not!!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We have the same problem thankfully not that many bends, there used to an English guy who swept chimneys but he stopped due to health reasons. Thanks for the tip where to buy the brushes and rods.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”