Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Nick
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Girne Harbour in the 1990s

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Nick »

Hi,

I am a documentary maker from Ireland and I am hoping to speak to anybody who lived in the vicinity of Girne Harbour in the 1990s and would be willing to talk to me about their memories of that time. I'm especially looking for anybody that might have had a boat, lived on a boat or drank in a bar called Limani. If you have any memories of this time in Girne, I'd be very grateful if you could contact us at [email protected]

Many thanks,
Nicoline

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Girne Harbour in the 1990s

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

Deleted
Last edited by ginge on Mon 26 Feb 2024 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caulkhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by caulkhead »

I think you might benefit from speaking to Deirdre Guthrie who lives in Bellapais and used to run the Gardens of Irini. She has lived here since God was a boy and was quite a socialite. She used to frequent the Harbour Club and knew anybody who was anybody.

Nick
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Nick »

Brilliant, thank you Caulkhead

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

If you’re going to look for Deidre Guthrie you may, if he is still around, is ask her ex partner Hikmet Ulucam at Cactus Gardens, Lapta.
He was very knowledgeable also.

The late Ian Smith from Ian Smith Estate Agents (used to be Keskin & Smith) I was told back in the late 90’s, purchased an apartment in a block looking over the harbour ( no idea if it’s still in the family) You could enquire whether his daughter who runs the Estate Agent whether she remembers anything from when she was younger.

There are a few from that era, if they are still around, Kemal Karapasha who ran the hire car company then in Ozankoy , Abdul Abant who ran the hire car business in Girne near Pia Bella. Everyone in those days knew one another.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Those were the days. Sadly, most of the people I knew in the early 80's are now deceased. Should you require further info please send me a private message.

RJW
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by RJW »

Deidre Gutherie lives in Bellapaise as mentioned by Cauldhead. Having met her a few times while having a cold drink in her garden of Irini, she told us about herself. She has some interesting stories to tell of her life and that of her parents .Deidre broke her hip some 4 years ago if memory serves me right and the local community raised funds for the operation .When up by her home last year i think she still lives there but now a quite life. Deidre used to rent out her studios at the end of her garden and advertised them on Lonely Planet .She was a professional Flamenco dancer having trained in Spain .She had one child who lived in the States .Deidre parents lived if memory is right out in the Middle East ,one was a Doctor and the other a Academic/Artist before settling in Cyprus .During the conflict her Father treated casualties from both sides .Her Father wrote a book called A BELL IN BELLAPAISE. She also knew Lawrence Durrell as a family friend .Hopefully my memory is correct on all this.

Nick
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Nick »

Thank you all for your suggestions. If anybody has any idea how to contact Deirdre Guthrie I would be very grateful. I have found her on Facebook and have messaged but she may not have seen it. If anybody knows her, feel free to pass on my email to her: [email protected]
Thanks so much

dickieandjane
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by dickieandjane »

I have forwarded your email address to Deirdre

Nick
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Nick »

Hi dickieandjane

Thanks so much for doing that. Deirdre emailed me and I have replied but for some reason I don't think she is receiving my emails!! Would you mind passing on my number that she could WhatsApp me on if she isn't getting my emails: 00 353 86 836 0727

All the best
Nicoline

Nick
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Nick »

Deirdre and I are now in touch - thank you for your help!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”