General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Minimum wage

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

TRNC's new minimum wage became 24 thousand TL net and 27 thousand 587 TL gross.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Minimum wage

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

So if renting you’ll have to show just under £26,000 in your bank account

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Plus a further raft of price rises in everything.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

alphamike wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024 3:51 pm
Plus a further raft of price rises in everything.
Well that’s the problem, that drives up inflation which then leads to the minimum wage going up which then leads to more inflation & rinse & repeat on and on

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Exactly! They are never going to solve the inflation problem this way. I can see another load of people leaving.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

alphamike wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024 4:56 pm
Exactly! They are never going to solve the inflation problem this way. I can see another load of people leaving.
It will be interesting to see how much the restaurants have to put up their prices. Those that were relying on a fair proportion of ex pat business will need to be careful. How many have suffered with people who went out once a week now cooking at home and those who went out 3 times a week now going out once?
It’s not as if most of the meals offered out here are beyond the skills of a home chef.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

And go where exactly ?...there is clearly more coming than going ..

It's a good point about the restaurants . The standard here is pretty poor in general ..I'd say bog standard..

Historically restaurants have only been cheaper here due to salaries being much lower and rents compared to UK.

It's yet to be seen how much the tl depreciates but I read they are implementing a system to move to 4 monthly salary review linked to a fixed statistic ..cost of living or the like .

The new salary as it stands is a significant increase even in foreign currency terms I suppose it reflects global inflation that we all know exists .

When I was you my mum and dad where middle class and we only ever ate out on special occasions ..back then that was the norm . Now the opposite is true ..it's seems the norm now to eat out once or twice a a week if not more . I'm questioning the benefit of that ...especially what's on offer is not that great . One might actually enjoy dining out less and appreciating it more .

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

How many workers will get paid the minimum wage? I am sure that the Asian workers here will get nowhere near the correct amount, they a in a position that they will accept what they are given.

As for the Government (if that is what you call them) it just goes to show that there is no intelligence in any department. The Island will implode if this carries on.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Reyntj wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024 9:12 pm

Now the opposite is true ..it's seems the norm now to eat out once or twice a a week if not more . I'm questioning the benefit of that ...especially what's on offer is not that great . One might actually enjoy dining out less and appreciating it more .
It seemed out here the norm was to eat out 2-3 times a week. I’d be interested if that remains the same post lockdown. I suspect many may have cut 1 or 2 restaurant visits from their weekly routine. In my opinion we have 100s of restaurants out here but pretty much only one menu so no real loss to those staying in more but a massive loss to the restaurants.

There needs to be a major change in the economic thinking as a whole & a bit more imagination from the businesses out here if they are going to survive.
Property bubbles aren’t economic growth or even economic stability

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hair Cut wrote:
Sat 13 Jan 2024 9:40 am
How many workers will get paid the minimum wage? I am sure that the Asian workers here will get nowhere near the correct amount, they a in a position that they will accept what they are given.

As for the Government (if that is what you call them) it just goes to show that there is no intelligence in any department. The Island will implode if this carries on.
I have no doubt that many workers will get under the minimum wage but with prices & rents rising to such a degree even if you pay barely sustenance level wages they must be rising at similar rates eg if they are 50% less than the minimum wage they are still going to have to go up 50%?

Re the property bubble, it does seem to be over but I suspect those who have bought the million euro penthouses will be absentee owners for the most part which will add little to the economy.

There does seem to be a herd like mentality re businesses. If an Indian restaurant is doing well then why not open another 6 when the market could probably sustain 2. There are still gaps for services, so a bit of imagination in looking to fill those gaps will pay off.

Bethany
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Bethany »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024 5:12 pm
alphamike wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much the restaurants have to put up their prices. Those that were relying on a fair proportion of ex pat business will need to be careful. How many have suffered with people who went out once a week now cooking at home and those who went out 3 times a week now going out once?
It’s not as if most of the meals offered out here are beyond the skills of a home chef.
I agree. Eating out is not special Food is very repetative and nowhere near varied enough. They are very limited compared with French food, which i feel is second to none. We have this old fashioned mentality here whereby no-one seems to want to diversify. Never lived anywhere so out of touch with the real world. 2024 and still only one species of potato and 2 types of mushrooms ! No savoy or spring cabbages! Rarely see asparagus and often hard to find avocadoes. And don't even think about salad dressings . They need to catch up and fast or i'll continue to cook at home.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Bethany wrote:
Thu 25 Jan 2024 2:59 am
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024 5:12 pm
alphamike wrote:
I agree. Eating out is not special Food is very repetative and nowhere near varied enough. They are very limited compared with French food, which i feel is second to none. We have this old fashioned mentality here whereby no-one seems to want to diversify. Never lived anywhere so out of touch with the real world. 2024 and still only one species of potato and 2 types of mushrooms ! No savoy or spring cabbages! Rarely see asparagus and often hard to find avocadoes. And don't even think about salad dressings . They need to catch up and fast or i'll continue to cook at home.
Not wishing to change the topic but Avocados I never have a problem with, Metropol, Erdener, Şah, Enerji, and Supreme.

Asparagus is very seasonal look for it at the veg weighing counters.

Potatos are great, one type does everything.

The government need to do something to cap prices, at this rate we'll all become vegetarian.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”