General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Asgari ucret

•   Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Minimum wage has gone up in turkey by 50% to net 17200.

A similar rise normally happens here after which will increase net salary to around 23000 tl.

Despite the increase in interest rates I'm.mostly reading that heavy currency depreciation continues next year . Although it's all crystal ball talk.

Some are saying after the mayoral elections in April in Istanbul looser monetary policy will return .

Expect further inflation with these wage rises ..shops restaurants ...everything ...perhaps some is already baked in .

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Asgari ucret

•   Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

A similar rise would kill a lot of residency applications dead in the water as well. Lots of people who rent/lease and are on above minimum wage now would not be able to meet the three times minimum wage (Gross) requirement for sure. Everything will will rise in price for the consumer because those who make large profit margins now will not be able to resist making further profits. Maybe the Government's promise to keep a check on excessive over pricing will happen at last? Hard times ahead for all I fear.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

I don't understand your point on residency can't see how it's relevant as the currency has fallen by so much it's similar £ amounts . Plus even the £ amounts can go up with inflation UK . Nowhere in the world are prices wages standing still.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Reyntj, People who rent/lease are classed as "High Earners" and have to prove an income of three times the minimum wage or three times, twelve times the minimum wage held in savings - all amounts are Gross not net.

Current minimum wage is 18103TL Gross - @ current exchange rates of 37TL to £1 = £489.27
Three times minimum wage = £1,467.81. Twelve times three times minimum wage = £17,613.72

If new minimum wage increases old by 50% new minimum wage would be 27154.5TL = £733.90
Three times minimum wage = £2201.72. Twelve times three times minimum wage = £26,420.59

Current UK state pension is around £650 - £750 a month.

So, if the 50% rise in minimum wage does come in here a lot of elderly folk who with savings not exceeding £20K at present will find it difficult to save a further £6.5K in time to meet the increase in residency requirements. A few of them may even fall below a new TRNC minimum wage per month as well.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

The UK state pension is £203.85 per week. A 7-8 % rise last year . Plus another 8.5 % rise in April. For a couple that's £21200 pa closer to £24 k after a rise in April. So not far off. No idea where you get your UK pension figures from .

. The turkey salary has only gone up as cost of living rise inflation simple as that .The amounts required they are reasonable amounts to expect people to live here pay rent health etc and lower than other places .

Then we have people crying that citizens live only on the minimum wage why can't they ..well it doesn't work like that anywhere else in the world . Nobody wants expats coming to their country and living on the bread line .

I am UK citizen if I want to take my Turkish wife to the UK i need to show income of £29000 next spring up from £18500 and I'm a citizen there! UK expats are not really in a position to cry. The cost of living has gone up everywhere .

There seems no end of migrants coming here just look at the waiting list . There is bound to be further currency depreciation and that calculation you quoted soon changes to much lower £ levels.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Reyntj wrote:
Thu 28 Dec 2023 6:53 am
The UK state pension is £203.85 per week. A 7-8 % rise last year .
From https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/how-much-you-get

“How much you get

How much basic State Pension you get depends on your National Insurance record.

The full basic State Pension is £156.20 per week.

You may have to pay tax on your State Pension.

If you’re a man born on or after 6 April 1951 or a woman born on or after 6 April 1953, you’ll get the new State Pension instead.”

The NEW state pension is indeed £203.85 (if you qualify). I suspect a lot of the U.K. pensioners living in Cyprus might not qualify.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Don't worry anyway it will be 50 tl to the £ after the mayoral elections ..

Probably ...

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

If you’re a man born on or after 6 April 1951 or a woman born on or after 6 April 1953, you’ll get the new State Pension instead.”

Wife born in Oct 1954 - only gets full basic pension - ex service!!! She is not only a WASPI women but also a STUFFEDI one - lol. Life goes on.

Of course when the Lira hits 50 to the £ the minimum wage will have to rise again....... As the shops put their prices in the Euro or the US Dollar why no change the currency of the country to one of them?

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

The recent excellent PowerPoint presentation from TFR shows under “recent changes” that the income requirement for “high income” (renters/lease agreements) is now €20000 (euro) for 6 months if using savings as the criterion. No change for monthly income: 3x minimum wage (TL54,309 = c €1720pm)

So if using savings it seems that exchange rate fluctuations are moot?

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

waddo wrote:
Thu 28 Dec 2023 11:32 am
“If you’re a man born on or after 6 April 1951 or a woman born on or after 6 April 1953, you’ll get the new State Pension instead.”
But only if you have sufficient qualifying NI payments.
I was caught out having lived and worked outside the U.K. I planned my retirement income at age 65 based on 30 years NI stamps using voluntary contributions in addition to those paid while working in the U.K.
Then they brought in the higher pension rate based on 35 years contributions, too late for me to make them up.
But you’re right - women have been treated abominably by the U.K. when it comes to their retirement.
There again the U.K. OAP is abysmal compared to other countries. £10 for a Christmas bonus?
Sorry - this is thread drift (:Z)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

So if using savings it seems that exchange rate fluctuations are moot?

Quite right, but if not using savings then your figures are showing the same as mine - or very similar due exchange rate changes, only difference being I am using GBP and you are using Euro's.

Happy are those with savings! Until the minimum wage and therefore the savings amounts will change!!

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Post by sausage and pash »

So!!!! I cannot put £20000 pounds in a cypriot bank account but living here now 9 years on my "old" pension rates and classed as a high earner as house we bought is now classed as rental. Dont ask. How can the government maybe throw me out of the country?? I live here pay my bills, give donations but are not liable for government help ie no uk "dole" payments so if you can afford to live without cypriot government help why are they going for forieners. I think its not fair.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

sausage and pash, I quite agree, it is not fair but it is not our country and we have to abide by the laws of the country. It is the constant changing of the goal posts I find hard to bear but that is life and we love it here. I would like to see the UK adopt exactly the same laws and rules, regarding temporary residence/social sigorta/incomes and in particular rental/leasehold, to see how many foreigners would have to return to their homeland.
As that will never happen I am happy to keep supporting them with my income tax as I gain nothing from it anyway - lol.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

It's ironic that you want foreigners thrown out of the UK and are complaining about your own precarious position as a foreigner living here .

UK is far more difficult to get residency than here ..are you serious ...?? You can't just turn up in the UK and apply after you decide you like it ...imagine the UK acted like trnc and just let everyone in and they could apply later ....

UK equivalent is a 1 year visa ...try getting one of them first and then re-applying ...you can't without leaving the country

Your talking nonsense to be honest . If you don't have a work visa or family visa or student visa getting A 1 year visa is very difficult to the UK.

UK doesn't have a 1 year resident system where you can just turn up and rent a flat show some money and stay having no relatives or reason to be there .

If it did I can guarantee you the goal posts would be changed every year ...especially if too many people arrived ..are you seriously suggesting UK adopt trnc liberal residency rules ?? Jesus ...it would be packed to the rafters in months .

As I already stated UK have just increased their income requirements for settlement visa from £18500 to £28000...that's some move of the goal posts isn't it and that's not available to every tom dick and harry like the trnc post application trnc is. The only easy route to UK residency is tier 1 £ 2 million investment in uk corporate bonds ...and that's currently suspended after they let too many Russians in...

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Please note: Only you have said that I want foreigners thrown out of the UK! I am more than happy to welcome foreigners into the UK in the same way that I was more than happy to be a EU citizen, I believe that there should be freedom of choice and movement throughout the World.

However, in the same breath, I also believe that the same laws should apply to each and every country wherever possible, sadly that is not the case.

I can agree with a lot of your post, not on here to argue, UK/TRNC difference for a 1 year visa: UK you have to apply when you are not in the UK - here you have to apply after 90 days and then wait. You may get your first "Temporary Residency" (Visa) then but only for 6 months and then you have to apply again. Sorry, as I don't/can't work here I do not know the rules on work permits.

Here you can turn up, rent a flat, have no relatives here and prove you have money. You also have to say why you want to stay here. If you are lucky then you will pay for and get your "Temporary Residency" (Visa). But please note the word "Temporary" as there is no longer anyway to achieve a "Permanent Residency" so at best you can stay for two years before applying and that is generally under different rules and requirements - therein lies the "Change of Goal Posts" comment.

I am not suggesting that the UK adopt the rules of the TRNC - but I would like to see the TRNC adopt the rules of the UK.

In the years I have lived here I have seen much change and I hope to see much more when the much vaunted Digital Data Centre comes on line, maybe then everything will become more available and visible but only time will tell. Have a Great New Year and enjoy life.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Totally agree Waddo. It's the constantly changing goal posts!!

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

You wrote this "I would like to see the UK adopt exactly the same laws and rules, regarding temporary residence/social sigorta/incomes and in particular rental/leasehold, to see how many foreigners would have to return to their homeland."

Sounds like what I suggested to be honest .now you are saying you want free movement of people throughout the world the complete opposite ...if trnc adopted UK rules you wouldn't be able to live here so I don't understand that comment at all.

Waddo wants uk rules adopted here and trnc rules adopted in the UK and free movement of people everywhere...😂😂😂 Talk about moving goal posts ...

https://bugunkibris.com/2023/12/31/ozer ... k-hatadir/

Anyway back to my first post they announced the personal tax allowance but not the new minimum.wage?!

It's 49.3% increase ..it's hard to believe the minimum salary won't correspond given they usually follow turkey as well.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

It's not what you say - it's the way that you read it! If TRNC adopted UK rules then they would be the same for everyone - that would not work here anyway because not everyone is a cousin of everyone else - lol. Can't understand that if TRNC adopted UK rules that I would not be allowed to live here - nothing changes there as I can only stay as a Temporary Resident anyway? UK rules would never work in the TRNC, I much prefer the Higgldy Piggldy system here rather than a system that is the same for everyone - was it Capital Insurance that was getting residency through fast if you paid extra for it? Living here is wonderful you just have to learn to balance on the knife edge of not being allowed to - simple really.

Happy New Year to you and I wish you a most prosperous time for the future.

Back to my first post as well - if the minimum wage here goes up by 49.3% then everything I said will happen - If you really think that the amount of money you have to keep in savings (in a local bank) which is currently 20,000.00 Euros (wonder why it's not a figure in the currency of the country?) following a rise in minimum wage then dream on. The 20,000.00 Euros is simply the current minimum wage multiplied by 36 anyway - lol.

Have a great night tonight, tomorrow it's a new start again, electric goes up and so will everything else - that's life. Take care out there.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

6.9 % kibtek rise announced already today

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”