Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Longest power cut..

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

Interesting to know..
Going back present to 20 years ago …what is the longest power cut you have encountered..
Please state area ..and hours/ days you were without power..

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Longest power cut..

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Is this a memory test for us old folks - lol? 2002 (or 2003) New Years eve and beyond, over 24 hours for sure in Ozankoy. We did hove one for two days in or around 2004/5 when the new generators were moving into place - memory fails me - sorry. These days if I can remember yesterday I am doing good - lol. Lots of minor power cuts up to 8 hours long right up to around 2012 but then gave up counting and had move to Catalkoy by then anyway. Good luck with response.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

Hoping to roughly gauge how NC past / present copes with supply of Electricity …

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Christmas Eve 2004 in the Alsancak area, over 12 hours without electricity. It was cold, miserable and very very wet, I say huddled under a blanket crying and wanting to go home to central heating. Christmas Day was sunny and warm and electricity restored, but that's Cyprus weather for you.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

28 hrs Karaagac 3-4mths ago? Someone will correct me about the exact date.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

December 2005 4 days, just moved to catalkoy from yesiltepe
July 2022 4 days of 1 to 2 hours on 6 to 8 hours off
2023 purchased a generator!!!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

snd1966, I did say my memory is rubbish but being in Catalkoy as well, July 2022 and the 4 days of clock resets now rings the same bell! We have always had a generator since day 1 but have only ever used it when the power has been off for 8 hours first - hence it has not run very much at all over the last 16 years - lol. This year I even changed the petrol to make sure it would be ok for the future, even though it was still running on the original stuff! Now it sits outside in its purpose built cover, with a newly charged battery attached, just waiting for the end of the World to start.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Waddo, we have always accepted the power cuts, when visiting the parents in the 90's it was fun but I was in my 20's. Even the Christmas 4 days no power meant no cooking, living in happy valley playing board games with riaz in the evenings and snuggling under fleece blankets at night but last year in July no sleep, tried the roof, admiring the stars but not the dogs barking. Working during the day and driving to work by day 4 realised it was unsafe and never again hence the generator to ensure I get my much needed beauty sleep!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

A totally different game for those who have to work I will admit, for us retired folks in is just an embuggerance that we put up with and carry on with life. For you guys it is dangerous indeed to miss out on sleep and relaxation!!! Stick with the generator if you can sleep through it's noise.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”