General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

cjtill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Permanent residency

•   Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

Post by cjtill »

Does anybody know what are the requirements now to apply for permanent residency? Is this the same as the white card that was introduced a few years ago?
I would be interested if anyone has been through this procedure to know what is required and how long it takes.
TIA

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Permanent residency

•   Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

The rules have changed and may yet change again... I have spoken to the lady who deals with applications in Lefkoşa, she says you need a kocan for a property to the value of €125,000 (approx. £100,000), photocopies of your passports and obviously a number of years of unbroken temp residency stamps, she'll check that on her computer. She says health insurance is not necessary, I feel that may change...
She is located in an unmarked office in the same corridor as you go for temp residency, next door to cafe, directly opposite the pay office/Vezne. I'm not sure how much it costs, I heard 2000TL, nor how long it takes, I read it has to be approved (by council of ministers?)
I've also heard a rumour today that the requirements may be relaxed next month... So as usual everything is as clear as mud. Even if someone has gone through the process recently, it could all change tomorrow, as has been seen with the temp residency process. You pay your money you take your chances.
Should say don't bother going to any other offices, like district office, they know nothing, go straight to immigration office in Lefkoşa.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Am interested in the number of unbroken years. Started in 2005 for 11 years consecutive years then ceased as we were both well past the age restriction. My query is, I wonder whether they go back from the present or do they count from when you started. If its from the present, then won't bother, if its from the past then we might give a go at it!!!

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

My understanding is that it is unbroken to present so you wouldn't qualify, though for over 60s the number of consecutive years required is fewer. You could pop into the office I mentioned above to double check.

cjtill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Post by cjtill »

Thanks for the info. We will definitely look into this further and let everyone know.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

We went today with the paperwork as stated above. Details checked on the computer and we were told we will get a phone call in a month from her manager. That's possibly when other details will be requested I suspect....

cjtill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Post by cjtill »

Panchocat wrote:We went today with the paperwork as stated above. Details checked on the computer and we were told we will get a phone call in a month from her manager. That's possibly when other details will be requested I suspect....
Please keep us updated, it will be interesting to know the procedure.

karakumc5
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

Post by karakumc5 »

If your property is worth less than £100,000 what are the requirments to gain resendency my property is only worth £90,000

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

https://cyprusscene.com/category/trevors-corner/

Courtesy of Trevor Hughes.

This is an alternative to the Temporary Residency, for Ex-pats who reside here in excess of 90 days in 180, each is eligible to apply.

Firstly, my contact in the Ministry informs me that there are several changes in the “pipeline” and people who qualify should hold back until April 2020.

Your property must hold a value of at least 125.000 Euros.
You must have a valid koçan for the property.
An application can be made by visiting the Ministry of Interior and by-passing the need to go to the main Police Station.
The documents you need to support your application are the same as those needed when applying for Temporary Residence, however, you must hold a recent report showing your “In’s and Out’s”.
An application can be made for an initial 2 year period with renewals every 2 years.
The initial cost is 2000TL + 250TL per year for renewals.
These are some of the requirements, so it may be a little early to contemplate your application.

As I see it, there is little advantage in applying over and above the Temporary Residence application. But maybe, the Government changes currently under revıew will reveal all.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Surely the word permanent should mean that, not having to renew every 2 yrs.More money! What are the advantages any way?

cjtill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

Post by cjtill »

Yes it will be interesting to find out the advantages.
I think if your property is not worth 125,000 euros you must have the equivalent of that in a bank account.
It does seem ridiculous to havve to renew yearly.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

cjtill wrote:...It does seem ridiculous to havve to renew yearly.
2-yearly I think, but I do agree!

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

cjtill wrote:
I think if your property is not worth 125,000 euros you must have the equivalent of that in a bank account.
It does seem ridiculous to havve to renew yearly.
According to the lady processing the applications it can only be a Kocan, not savings or contract of sale/PTP. It'll be interesting to see if Trevor's correct and they are going to relax the requirements. At the moment it's not worth doing for 2 years at a time, what's permanent about that

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

As I no longer own a property - used to have a 50 year leasehold but cancelled that and now rent instead - it looks like, regardless of the fact that I have not set foot off the Island since the 24th of June 2007, I can never become a "Permanent" resident? Wonderful news but sad that I will lose all the advantages that "Permanent" residency gives me such as: "To be continued"...............
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

One further complication (from the lady who deals with P.R's) is that if the kocan shows more than one name on it (e.g married couple) the value is double - 250,000.

Perhaps Trevor Hughes can confirm if this will be reflected in the pending changes.

Also does anyone know if those of us who have had continuous temporary residency, will have to visit the police station first, when renewing or can we go direct to immigration (as in the past).
Last edited by greengate on Sun 02 Feb 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

An interesting development but not sure if it’s really of much use or help to those seeking permanent residency.

The renewal every couple of years albeit it seems for a small cost doesn’t sound “permanent” to me. Why would this be required?

Also the having to have a property to the value of 125,000 Euros or possibly double for a married couple doesn’t make sense to me. Again I would wonder why? Surely if you are single or just a couple you may well have a small place that is more than sufficient to meet your needs in terms of size, running costs etc which of course may only have a value much less than the 125,000 Euros that is being mentioned. Maybe I am missing something and others could offer a sensible explanation for this.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Can all the couple's who have property worth €250,000 please contact me so I can send them a begging letter.
I must move in the wrong social circle.
Let's hope it is FAKE NEWS.
Last edited by 13roman58 on Sun 02 Feb 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

I wonder also if you would have to get a formal valuation of the property in order to prove the value?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

mrsgee wrote:I wonder also if you would have to get a formal valuation of the property in order to prove the value?
A very good point.

Not sure that having a property valued at 125,000 euro or possibly 250,000 euro makes you anymore a better “permanent” citizen than someone living comfortably in an apartment worth 50,000 euro.

Another gem of an idea.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Greengate. I think everyone needs to go to the Police station first since the new rules came into force.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

The figure of 125k is correct however the valuation and what you paid for it are two completely pile apart figures . I believe that if your not careful and the valuation of your property is requested then you may face an increase in property tax .

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Bert wrote:The figure of 125k is correct however the valuation and what you paid for it are two completely pile apart figures . I believe that if your not careful and the valuation of your property is requested then you may face an increase in property tax .
Another good point.

However I am still of the opinion that there are plenty of people who have been living in the TRNC for many years who do not own a property that would be valued at 125,000 or even 250,000 euros. They could be single or a couple who have purchased a smaller property which meets their needs fully, with low running costs thus allowing them a comfortable lifestyle in the country of their choice.

So why would a property valuation be a requirement if you wanted to be a permanent resident?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Answer is I feel, don't go bothering yourselves one way or another. What will be, will be and NOTHING we say on this forum or any other will make a blind bit of difference or influence this Government one iota.

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

Kerry6138 - Thanks for your answer.

Re - property valuations - the immigration people will only accept valuations by TAPU, which will be reflected on your property tax, therefore and increased valuation will result in a higher tax.

karakumc5
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Post by karakumc5 »

My wife and I had been intending to spend 6+ months a year in Cyprus in couple of years time but sadly this will no longer be possible under these rules. We have been coming for nearly 20 years spending a lot in the local economy in shops ,bars,restaurants etc.
We must now decide if it is worthwhile to continue to keep an apartment or call it a day.
The local economy is going to take a big hit because of this madness.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

karakumc5 wrote:My wife and I had been intending to spend 6+ months a year in Cyprus in couple of years time but sadly this will no longer be possible under these rules. We have been coming for nearly 20 years spending a lot in the local economy in shops ,bars,restaurants etc.
We must now decide if it is worthwhile to continue to keep an apartment or call it a day.
The local economy is going to take a big hit because of this madness.
Of course it will be possible, if you have an apartment, just apply for a Visitor Visa stamp in your passport (AKA 'Residency') - then you can spend as long as you like here!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Msg 22 probably because you cannot get state aid if you fall on hard times so maybe the property would be sold? Just an idea.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Deniz1 wrote:Msg 22 probably because you cannot get state aid if you fall on hard times so maybe the property would be sold? Just an idea.
Sounds like the UK that take your property when you are taken into residential care.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I think that it may be simply to demonstrate your commitment to the Country, as well as showing that you do have some assets, I doubt whether there is any legislation allowing your property to be seized and sold, although 'in extremis' you would always have the financial security of the value of the property...

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Keithcaley wrote:I think that it may be simply to demonstrate your commitment to the Country, as well as showing that you do have some assets, I doubt whether there is any legislation allowing your property to be seized and sold, although 'in extremis' you would always have the financial security of the value of the property...
I would agree to some extent about showing commitment, but I do not think it really a strong argument. Circumstances change and I cannot see how having a property valued at say 500,000 euros means you would be more likely to remain in the TRNC. There are many long term residents living in the TRNC who may be on their own or a couple who are very happy in a small apartment, flat or villa worth less than the 125,000 or 250,000 euros which has been mentioned. It’s these people who have shown a commitment but if the latest information is correct are very unlikely to qualify as a permanent resident. As I have said before a small place more than meets their needs, is economical to run and allows them to live within their means and enjoy life in the TRNC.

All will be revealed in due course and of course we may be somewhat baffled by the logic of it all. It’s Cyprus after all.l

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I fully expect to get shouted down for my comment but think a little before you do please! I agree with Keith that having a property in the TRNC shows that you have some assets - of course being able to make use of those assets should you ever need to, may well prove very difficult, ask the many people who have their property for sale at the moment - but I fail to see how having a property here demonstrates a commitment to the Country!

I agree it shows that you have spent a sum of money in obtaining the property but who has that money gone to? Perhaps you purchased a property from an expat who was leaving - they will have probably made a profit and you will have effectively paid your money to the expats country and not to the TRNC? Perhaps you have purchased a "Swallows" property, now convince me you did this to benefit the country and not to make a profit on your original purchase please. This is not meant to put anyone's back up but just a way of looking at property ownership here - as ownership anywhere is the same, nobody buys a property with the expectation of losing money when they sell it???

OK, so you have bought, invested in, property at "X" cost which is now worth "Y" cost, but to gain Permanent residency you need to have a valuation of "Z" cost, which for most people is more than "X" was originally - what kind of system is this? Yes, you have proven commitment to either spending some time in the TRNC or making money out of your property by letting it out to others. Yes, I agree that you pay your taxes, your bills, buy your provisions and fuel etc here, thus making a contribution as well.

However, if I rent for a nominal £300.00 per month (£3,600.00 per year) and stay here for 25 years (£90,000.00) then either leave or die, have I not shown more commitment than a person who buys at £90,000.00 and sells at £150,000.00 25 years later and leaves??

Personally I have lost interest in even trying to become a Semi-Permanent Resident as the rules keep changing faster than normal people can keep up with them. I notice the rules have changed for Turkey as well - that is interesting - and of course if Peace ever descends upon Cyprus and both sides agree to "share" then the rules in the North will change as well - again. So I have at last given in to the Cyprus Shrug, learnt how to do it without expression and am much happier for it. Good luck to all who go through the paper chain or pass the brown envelope of freedom to get your Permanent Residency - but is it really worth it??

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Great summary waddo.

Plenty to think about and things change like the wind so the Cyprus “shrug” is probably the beat way.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Well, I've read both of your counter-arguements, and admit that they make at least as much sense as my guesses, 'cos I really don't know how their minds work or what the plan is when they specify eligibility criteria

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Keith, it's sad to say that it's not really worth the effort - I used to think it was and I would still be proud to be a citizen of this country but the facts of life tend to become really tarnished after a time. I have played the game straight down the line since day 1, wasted my time and watched people "Buy" their way into permanent residency and even citizenship as well. Been to the offices of the higher powers and asked the questions and been told "It never happens that way, everything is above board" then found that the guy I was talking to would sell what I wanted at a price! I guess it's the same all over the world and I don't wear the rose tinted spec's that a lot of expats (of any nationality) seem to wear either.

So now I will just go with the flow, try to stay within the lines and see what happens later in life - not lost the plot, just tired of the game. Take care out there.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”