General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Just a thought re Greatstone properties - not sure if possib

•   Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

Just a thought! Does anyone know how many ex pats live here? Feel so sorry for these people as it could have happened to anyone of us. BUT if there was enough support and the landowner accepted say his 300,000 pounds, could all the expats give some towards it to help out. This would depend on how many live here and also whether any Turkish Cypriots would join in! Anyone any thoughts or views on this.

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Just a thought re Greatstone properties - not sure if po

•   Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

As a lot of people have read this but not commented I will give you my thoughts to further think about it. A quiet committee could be set up ( I hate committees but necessary in this), get Cyprus today involved. They could perhaps set up an account for donations. Approach local businesses and those that want to do fundraisers could, auctions etc. In the first instance, Cyprus Today may agree to meet with the committee and the person who has purchased the properties to find out what the lowest offer would be. After all houses aren't selling, and I am sure no English expat would want to purchase. Also Cyprus Today could place it in a Turkish Cypriot paper. Anyone interested? We would show people that we stick together. Most of us have known the beautiful generous culture here from the Turkish Cypriots whereby they share with one another and us, lets show them we can do the same!

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

BTT

gillken
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Post by gillken »

I along with other sites have problems. We need to address this legally and stop this happening again and again
We need to lobby the government to change laws that cause the same issue time and time again.
My landowner has just told me he has had all the contracts cancelled on our site and wants money off us if we want our paper work.
But he wants the money up front. He won't supply us with any infrastruture. Or pay any of his taxes. Just laughed in my face.
This means we give him money and then he says us yet again as the site won't be completed so we won't get our paperwork.
He has told me he put a notice in a paper saying he was cancelling the contracts. That anybody with an interest would need to object. Yet he didn't put a letter through any doors.. he is always up visiting one of us.
He is giving one fully paid up house to his son.

The Black Olive Cafe
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Post by The Black Olive Cafe »

The Black Olive would be willing to help

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

Thank you Black Olive. Will see what other replies are received. I know other people have dire problems but these people have had the ultimate, facing eviction. There again, maybe they want to go down the legal route only as well. It was just a suggestion to receive views. One I would carry on with if wanted.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Perhaps we could make a start by boycotting the major players involved in this disgraceful affair, the mortgage lender for failing to conduct due diligence and the various "solicitors", advocates and legal advisors who failed to do their duty and had no regard for a duty of care. Another angle of approach would be for members of the main residents associations to lobby the groups to petiton the government with a list of the major grievencies/complaints regarding the purchase of property. Small steps and no comfort to the people involved with Greatstone but a start and show of unity.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Waste of time the government will take no notice as for the so called solicitors they are just out to make money they do not care what happens to their clients, remember Kulukis 5 and Emaraty valley (forgive the spelling)

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

It was all these other shameful cases that I was thinking of jimm. We've done nothing as a body and successive governments have turned a blind eye to the well documented scams and sharp practices so now is the time to unite and use our not insignificent financial clout. Boycott the businesses that have played any part in these scandals.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Unless this is solved through legal means it will keep recurring and if solved by expats ourselves through donations there will never be any change. The government will let the scams continue whilst laughing up their sleeves at us who donated. I feel extremely sorry for those involved but it must be solved lawfully to stop it happening in the future. I do however believe that all those involved in this scam, such as banks and solicitors etc, should be named and shamed so that we can avoid them in the future.

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

Naming and shaming is okay. Boycotting is okay, but this will not help the people now who have just had their homes sold from underneath them.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I agree with naming and shaming locally but in the long run it will not help the present sad affair occurring again. In the past I have believed that we should not broadcast internationally the problems here because it would only fuel the fire and delight the RoC. But because of this latest and other problems we are having, I have FINALLY COME to the conclusion that we should take the blindfolds from our eyes, take our heads out of the sand and broadcast far and wide throughout the world what can happen to the potential purchasers of property in the TRNC. If we only moan and groan in C2D, what good does that do anyone, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, get it in the UK and other foreign press (Russian in particular) and it might just benefit people. Stop people coming here and then just watch the change of attitude, This Government and the courts is just a talking shop, in it to benefit themselves and to help no-one, particularly foreigners. Don't keep moaning in local press and forums, but publicise it far and wide. For goodness sake don't even think of doing a form of "crowd funding" The so called lawyers in the TRNC will love it and do nothing other than bleed the fund dry.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Medjoul1 wrote:It was all these other shameful cases that I was thinking of jimm. We've done nothing as a body and successive governments have turned a blind eye to the well documented scams and sharp practices so now is the time to unite and use our not insignificent financial clout. Boycott the businesses that have played any part in these scandals.
The old Home Buyers pressure group gave it a good go, but nothing really changed.

http://www.hbpg-trnc.net

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Yes, Marion tried to help us but to no avail. The basic problem is the law or lack of it. When you have a watertight contract and the law can't help you then theres no hope. The govenment, whoever is in power at the time have shown no inclination to reign inthe Bar society or the judiciary. One is left to the conclusion that foreigners problems aren't high on their to do list.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Medjoul1 Sounds like the penny has just dropped.

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

Based on the limited "facts" in CT the problems here were caused by:
The financial incontinence of the developer
The complete failure of the lawyers to protect their clients from the pre-existing mortgage.
I don't think there was an inadequacy in the law in this case.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Trooper it dropped fourteen years ago, this latest scandal has just brought it to the fore. These criminals have been picking us off one by one and development after development and its time we united. I don't think that a lot of very fortunate people realise that its often a case of "there by the grace of god" that they haven't fallen victim to the criminal activities.
This is the latest in a long line, read Amaranta, Olympus, Harmony, Kulaksiz and these are the highest profile ones, no doubt there are plenty of other less well known ones. I personally know more people with problems related to property purchase than sucessful ones.
£eagle, I admire your defence of the legal system but a cursory glance reveals a failiure of the "lawyers" to protect there clients. No duty of care, lack of advice, in other words inadequacy of the law.

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

In many cases there has been an inadequacy of the law. In many other cases there has been an inadequacy of the lawyers. Nearly all cases involve the financial failure of the developer whose wrong doings have not been pursued by the Police or liquidators. The Prime Minister's office has hundreds of files on property wrongdoers. I think they are in a cupboard marked "asla bu kapının kilidini aç".

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Exactly eagle, we should stop pussy footing around in this country asking for help of a system and successive governments which don't care a damn about us and publicise it far and wide. I say again, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT US. Lets face it, we were all warned on Foreign Office web sites 16 years ago that buying property in the TRNC was not advised and 95% of us at the time probably thought "it won't happen to us. We have lovely professional builders and lawyers working for us, they take us to see their families and take us to the best restaurants, buy beautiful flowers on my birthday, they won't take us for a ride" How very, very wrong we were. 15.5 years later, we're still fighting for our rights, the builders no longer exist and I can't say what I think about our then Advocate for fear of being knee capped"

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

As foreigners don’t have the vote the government won’t care.

topten
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Post by topten »

Its like Band Aid it will never end, it is not the first or the last time greedy B@@@@@ds have robbed expats. Who,s Country without your money would be bankrupt!

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

Looks like the Government are now lending a sympathetic ear.

gcnews.com/pm-committee-set-to-investigate-brits-evictions-from-lapta/

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Kanonier, I'm sure that Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan, Jack the Ripper etc., etc., would lend a sympathetic ear, but actually do s+d all, why believe anything whatsoever this or successive Governments say. Sympathy is cheap, action means they would actually have to do something positive!.

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

Wasn't this a UK builder, who returned to the UK? A bit like Gary Robb....So maybe the whole industry is corrupt, similar tales from the South, from Spain etc.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

sophie wrote:Kanonier, I'm sure that Vlad the Impaler, Ghengis Khan, Jack the Ripper etc., etc., would lend a sympathetic ear, but actually do s+d all, why believe anything whatsoever this or successive Governments say. Sympathy is cheap, action means they would actually have to do something positive!.

I didn't say that I believed it, I was being ironic!

Jeremy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Jeremy »

Does anyone have faith in the TRNC government nationalising the Greatstone property as reported in Saturdays (25th January 2020) Cyprus Today?

Charliedog
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Charliedog »

You can say and do what you like, you will not win under any circumstances. we purchased a property 12 years ago, fully paid for it,went to court for 6years only for the judge to bankrupt the site. Our villa and 20 + others gone along with all monies paid. Solicitor and I use that term lightly was just paying us lip service and taking our money.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”