General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Is it time to move?

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Read this morning in CT that the unions are demanding a rise in the minimum wage, good for them! Only problem for ourselves is quite simple really, the new "demanded" minimum wage is 9977TL (Gross) which puts ourselves - as renters - requiring to prove that one of us has an income of three times the monthly minimum wage and that would be 29931TL a month. Of course we could simply produce our bank statements proving that we have twelve times that amount - 359172TL - in savings instead.

To put it into perspective it means I may soon require to prove an income of £3903.00 per month or savings of £46.836.00!!! All of my three pensions clubbed together fall short of the three months income by over £1,000.00 and as for having the amount required in savings - that is just a pipe dream for us. So, IF it happens it looks like we will have to leave - sad. Not that I think it will happen, as an MP in the TRNC only earns 20,000.00TL a month, which would be nearly 10,000.00TL short of the requirement that I have to prove anyway, I think it is time to look for other places.

I have looked hard at Turkey as a fall back and wonder if anyone who has moved from Turkey to TRNC would care to comment? For the moment, until September this year, we are safe as that is when our current residency expires but think it wise to plan for the worst and hope for the best anyway!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Is it time to move?

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Makes you think doesn't it Waddo. As a property owner, the savings and monthly incomes (from UK) is slightly better than people renting, but not a great deal and as we get older I find it very worrying. For goodness sake, don't encourage those no hopers in Parliament to increase their salaries and change their cars more often. Give them an inch …………………!!

Jeremy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Jeremy »

Is it time to move?

Sadly, I think it is.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Although I am 'only' a swallow, I think it may be time to move on, it just doesn't feel the same place we fell in love with 25 years ago.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

But where to move to is the point? Certainly will not be going back to Brexit land, I don't speak the same language as over there anymore and I don't want to end my days on the point of a knife or part of a drive by shooting!

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Not all of the UK is like that waddo.

Briannu
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Briannu »

We were swallows and sold up and left in MAY, this after 17 years. We never felt safe on the road since the influx of Turkish workers and certainly never felt appreciated in the latter years, not like the early years when the welcome mat was pulled out in front of us. Plenty places to re locate to and cheaper now to live than Cyprus especially since the reduction in interest rates have taken their toll on savings returns. Spain appealing but we have decided to spend 9 months of the year in Tenerife, not as much property for your bucks but a small apartment away from the Tourists, all round year sunshine for £650 a month. Coming over to sign up this Thursday. However we miss our friends in Cyprus but we will meet up again soon.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Isn't Tenerife in the EU?

Do you know what the restrictions/requirements will be for you to live there post Brexit?

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

Yes, as a part of Spain, Tenerife is very firmly within the EU and its currency is the Euro. However, the island has VAT free status which means it falls outside of EU Customs allowances.
So that's a big yes and no Keith far too many English for my liking very much like Blackpool
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Did think of Tenerife (the Canaries smaller islands really) but I feel you need to visit places quite a lot before you make any move and if possible spend a good few months there learning the many small things that will affect your life later. The Canaries are to far away for me - from here - so will look closer to what is now my home. We are not swallows so have nothing anywhere else but here and that must make a big difference to choice. Thanks for the information and best of luck with Tenerife.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Briannu wrote:We were swallows and sold up and left in MAY, this after 17 years. We never felt safe on the road since the influx of Turkish workers and certainly never felt appreciated in the latter years, not like the early years when the welcome mat was pulled out in front of us. Plenty places to re locate to and cheaper now to live than Cyprus especially since the reduction in interest rates have taken their toll on savings returns. Spain appealing but we have decided to spend 9 months of the year in Tenerife, not as much property for your bucks but a small apartment away from the Tourists, all round year sunshine for £650 a month. Coming over to sign up this Thursday. However we miss our friends in Cyprus but we will meet up again soon.
£650 a month for a small apartment out of the tourist spots doesn't sound so cheap to me.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

TAC WHAT IS WRONG WITH BLACKPOOL?Tenerifw has certainly hit a lot more to offer than Cyprus and the way it’s going here most definitely a great option

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

If I paid that much a month i would have hardly anyhing left to live on!

Samson
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Samson »

WHAT IS WRONG WITH BLACKPOOL?.......more like what isn't wrong with it,dirty,scruffy,run down,cheap,chavvy.........plus loads more,when was the last time you visited it?

rockpebbler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by rockpebbler »

Waddo, we had property in Turkey for 12 years, we have lived in the TRNC for the last 5 years, so I think I know enough about both countries to answer your question.
To get a residents visa in Turkey is more expensive and much more time consuming process, it can take up to 10 visits to get it, the final stage to get the visa entails going to the capitol of the province concerned. This in the case of Bodrum is 150 Kilometre journey each way, they give you an appointment time to suit themselves, but when you get there if they are busy, running late or just cant be bothered you have to repeat the journey the next day. As part of the process you have to have compulsory health insurance, if you are over 60 then you will have to join the state scheme, the cost is now 710 TL per person per month, around £2400 a year for a couple, the insurance excludes pre existing conditions and you have to have a medical. The process to get residency here is relatively simple and inexpensive compared to Turkey. That is why out of over 100 expats in our village in Turkey there is now only 9 left there, 18 friends from our village in Turkey are now living in the TRNC. Fresh food is better in Turkey but English food is expensive and difficult to find, petrol and road tax is also more expensive, alcohol is very expensive. Getting a driving licence is very difficult, expensive and with no guarantee that at the end of the process you will be issued with one.
Turkey is a beautiful country and friendly people but it is slowly being destroyed by its political regime.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

rockpebbler, many thanks for your post - that takes Turkey off the plan straight away I am afraid. TRNC looks like it is going exactly the same way as well which is sad but predictable and I will continue to search other regions. Thanks again.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”