General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Diabetes and cornflakes

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

This may not have a very large target audience, but for those affected, it could be quite important.

If you suffer from diabetes or care for someone who has diabetes, you are probably aware that although Cornflakes are not an ideal breakfast choice, being fairly low in fibre (fibre tends to slow down the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar in the body, and thus moderates the potential for blood sugar levels to 'peak'), they are not too bad in moderation - particularly if eaten in combination with a higher fibre cereal such as All Bran.

However, I have discovered that all Cornflakes are not created equal

'Normal' English branded Kellogs Cornflakes have a nominal sugar content of 8%, and I supposed that this was fairly standard, until I picked up a pack of Kellogs Cornflakes made for the Turkish Market, and discovered that they had a sugar content of 17% - more than twice that of the English equivalent !

A brief check around the shelves showed that some other brands (Brugen, for instance) have a much lower sugar content of 2.9% - so as well as being cheaper, they are healthier.

That's it really, just keep an eye on those nutrition labels!

cyprus2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Diabetes and cornflakes

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by cyprus2016 »

I do tend to study the ingredient labels obsessively (despite usually forgetting to bring my specs!) to avoid animal-based ingredients and what you have spotted Keith is interesting. I wonder whether the Turkish market product has yet to be influenced by European governments' push for lower sugar and salt in everyday foods. Or it could be that they were simply using up old stock and the next batch may arrive re-formulated. Personally, I always avoid big brand names especially when I have found a shop-brand that is perfectly acceptable and much better value. Even better if it is produced locally rather than needing to be shipped in from elsewhere. Sometimes the labelling is clearer too.
“Caysiz sohbet, aysiz gok yuzu gibidir”

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

Have to ask why is this allowed

jameslevel7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by jameslevel7 »

Keith's very thoughtful posting was very interesting for me as I am a type 1 Diabetic. In common with most diabetics I count carbohydrates so I can match with the appropriate amount of insulin to inject. This calculation is based on the total carbohydrates not just the sugar element which is usually referred to on packaging as"of which sugars x%". I avoid cornflakes, Kellogs or otherwise, because of their large carbohydrate content. It is 84 grams per 100 grams of which sugars are 8grams. There are kinder cereals for diabetics or indeed anyone counting cabs or calories in pursuit of healthier eating.. I would urge anyone to check the carb/calorie content of all cereals as some ,whilst offering the benefits of bran, can have a high carb content.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

As a type 1 for 40yrs i have always found porridge the best option for me with sensible carbs and good fibre and keeps me content til lunchtime... they say shredded wheat is also a very good option also (don't like the stuff myself. )
Always put a bit of chopped fruit in as well.....started eating overnight soaked porridge with milk and natural yogurt again with chopped or tinned fruit on top...really tasty and healthy.
The thing to remember and most of us are guilty of it is if you eat what it says on the box eg 30/40g bowl with milk it is a very small portion and we tend to "top the bowl up"....which is why wd tend to over do it a little at breakfast.

jameslevel7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by jameslevel7 »

The weight/quantity problem can be helped by using a guide which illustrates weights in grams as quantities on/in plates or bowls. I have found the book and App "Carbs & Cals" Carb & Calorie Counter by Chris Cheyette & Yello Balolia very useful. They can be used by anyone watching what they eat for any reason.One quickly gets used to equating weights with what that looks like on plate and vice versa.If in doubt look it up.I bought the book and was so pleased with it I bought the App as well.So wherever you are you can look up anything you are not sure of.There are a number of such guides but I found this one suited me well.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”