General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Renewal of TOM at Metehan

•   Message 51 of 63 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Mimi2 wrote:Have to wait & see if any new TOM issued after 31st January.
Have to wait & see if any of our cars are allowed across!

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 52 of 63 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Quite right Keith. Probably won't let us over even if you a valid TOM. Because they can!!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 53 of 63 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Best to wait and see...

...and in the meantime, make a cunning plan

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 54 of 63 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

The crossing of the border post 31st Jan seems to be something many are interested in. I am reasonably confident that nothing will change until the end of this year and individuals will be able to come and go as normal.

Of course whether we can take a TC registered vehicle across during this time will be something that will no doubt be even more interesting given that some are saying that this will not be allowed by the GC authorities after 31st Jan. We will of course have to wait and see.

It has been discussed in another thread but there is still the interesting situation of what may happen when crossing from the TRNC directly into the British Sovereign Base Areas, using the crossings at Beyarmudu (Pergamos) and also at Vrysoulles (Black Knight) on the edge of Gazimagusa. This is not and area administered by the ROC. Wonder if the British HC have a view on this, I.e. will British nationals be allowed to cross into the SBAs and will they be allowed to drive TRNC registered vehicles onto the SBAs either post Jan 31st or after the end of this year.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 55 of 63 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I predict a rise in the sale of folding bicycles!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

yorgozlu
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 56 of 63 in Discussion

Post by yorgozlu »

Keithcaley wrote:I don't think that they give a damn about the revenue as long as they inflict 'alarm and despondency' and damage TRNC's economy by putting people off living here and travelling to here...
or,perhaps,they no longer have to tolerate people that had bought properties,built on stolen land!(not all in same boat,of course)
always be yourself because the ones matter don't mind and the ones mind don't matter

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 57 of 63 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

yorgozlu wrote: or,perhaps,they no longer have to tolerate people that had bought properties,built on stolen land!(not all in same boat,of course)
Good morning Salahı!

I trust you are keeping well !

You do have a point there, but us '10 bob millionaires' like going over there and annoying 'em

yorgozlu
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 58 of 63 in Discussion

Post by yorgozlu »

Keithcaley wrote:
yorgozlu wrote: or,perhaps,they no longer have to tolerate people that had bought properties,built on stolen land!(not all in same boat,of course)
Good morning Salahı!

I trust you are keeping well !

You do have a point there, but us '10 bob millionaires' like going over there and annoying 'em
Good afternoon to you,too Keith
We are doing ok,dough,planning to return soon,as I have some axes to grind with brexitters

However,I,purposely,commented on yours because I did not fancy,nor can be bothered, with intolerant others.......if not you,it'd have been waddo I'd comment on
always be yourself because the ones matter don't mind and the ones mind don't matter

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 59 of 63 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser
newsletter

Meeting with High Commissioner
27th January 2020

Dear Member,
This morning representatives of the BRS met with Stephen Lilley, the British High Commissioner at Shakespeare House, Lefkosa.

We requested the meeting to seek clarification regarding, amongst other things, the anecdotal evidence of persons attending the Metehan border crossing in order to obtain the T.O.M. documents, required to purchase insurance, for persons taking their vehicles to the Republic of Cyprus.

The information being fed back to the BRS was that the T.O.M. documents would cease to be issued following the UK’s exit from the EU on 31st January, or that UK citizens driving a TRNC registered vehicle would not be allowed into the Republic of Cyprus beyond 1st February 2020.

The High Commissioner stated that neither of the above statements were correct. He confirmed that following the UK’s exit from the EU later this week, the UK then entered its ‘transitional period’ with the EU which meant effectively that the UK remained tied to EU rules for free movement until at least 1st January 2021.

He confirmed that members of the BHC’s Consular team had met with officials within the RoC government to confirm that this was the case and had requested that the Greek Cypriot officials at the border crossings were instructed that this was the case.

Of course, we are aware from recent TRNC ‘residency’ issues, that officers manning border crossings and immigration posts sometimes are not sufficiently aware of the actual rules and that mistakes were inevitable. In these cases, we would ask that you have patience and report any anomalies to the BRS via the website, or at clinics so that we can report them to the BHC for them to inform the relevant officials within the RoC.

The other matters discussed at the meeting will form part of our Newsletter which will be circulated next week.

Peter Wilkins

BRS Chairman

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 60 of 63 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Question - has this rule / policy below taken effect ? grateful for any advice

The information being fed back to the BRS was that the T.O.M. documents would cease to be issued following the UK’s exit from the EU on 31st January, or that UK citizens driving a TRNC registered vehicle would not be allowed into the Republic of Cyprus beyond 1st February 2020.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 61 of 63 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

No, it hasn't. We drove South in March without any problems. I think that the problems may start after 31st December when the agreed transition period ends.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 62 of 63 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Need to be allowed across borders first

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 63 of 63 in Discussion