Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

faro
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

UK Bank Letters.

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by faro »

Hi All.

Has anyone had letters from UK Banks asking for tax reference numbers for here. (TIN Numbers)

Cheers.

B.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: UK Bank Letters.

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Whilst you should always check any letters, emails or telephone calls for scams, this information required could be genuine in that, since January 2015 there has been new legislation regarding Exchange of Information....https://www.gov.uk/guidance/automatic-e ... troduction. If you have opened or closed a bank account since the above date it could have triggered off the letter.

However, scams are going on all the time so better to check....https://www.lovemoney.com/guides/15794/ ... al-fake-uk

Contact your bank or tax office.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

We have and have told the bank twice we don't have a TIN number in northern cyprus,but do they listen,NO so my wife has just emailed them again that we are retired and do not get the document they are so worried about so now waiting a reply after they accepted our explanation last year

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

We have and have told the bank twice we don't have a TIN number in northern cyprus,but do they listen,NO so my wife has just emailed them again that we are retired and do not get the document they are so worried about so now waiting a reply after they accepted our explanation last year

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

We have also had this 'saga' twice, and each time i ended up sending lots of paperwork showing that my income derives from the UK and is taxed at source. So far they have accepted that the TRNC does not issue a TIN, and that according to their criteria - i did not need one.

But guess what - i got another letter this month asking the same questions & "Please send your TIN" - so i have parcelled up a baked bean can and sent it to HMRC.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

Just ignored it.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

greengate wrote:"Please send your TIN" - so i have parcelled up a baked bean can and sent it to HMRC.
Like it. They'll probably understand that.

Did my tax return at the weekend for last fin yr and they wanted to take thousands more in two stages in advance of the current fin yr. Told them where to get off and didn't pay.

torontomapleleaf
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by torontomapleleaf »

My wife has had four of these letters to date for which replies and requested documentation has been sent each time. Number five came in last week.
What i'm wondering is, is this just one particular bank or are they all doing it?
Our bank for the record used to have a branch in Girne.
The Mountie always gets his man

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

And ours,I will consider another bank when I return to the uk

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

It’s all banks. I’ve had them from Ulster Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland and Permanent TSB (a Southern Irish bank).

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”