General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Shopping safely online

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I spotted this guide to shopping safely online, and although it's all basic stuff, it never does any harm to do a refresher course - so have a 5 minute read if you're so inclined - Shopping safely online

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Shopping safely online

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Re. Tip 7 - when I first decided (10 years ago) that I would start "shopping online", I opened an account with a different bank and acquired a debit card, with a deposit of £20. Ever since then, whenever I have made a purchase, immediately prior to completing the purchase, I've transferred the required amount into that account. That account - and bank - is used for nothing else, so apart from those few minutes between transfer and purchase confirmation, there's never been more than £2 - £10 in the account - and as it's a debit card, nobody's going to get much if they do "hack" in....

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi jofra,

It does sound odd doesn't it?

I always consider that I have more protection against fraud by the Vendor if I use a credit card, but on the other hand, if my card was compromised, then a 'hacker' could have a spending spree to the tune of perhaps £10,000, whereas using a debit card on an account containing £20, they'd be more limited...

A credit card with a very low credit limit, used solely for online shopping might be a better solution!

What do you think?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Probably the best of both worlds, although (so far!) I've been lucky and been stung only once - ordered and paid for a micro-sd card; didn't get a card, only two sd/micro-sd adapters. Only a couple of quid, and subsequently found that many people had been conned by this firm/character for much more expensive items...

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Jofra very interested to read your post - that is actually a very good idea; and I'll definitely look into it when I go back to the UK!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”