General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

The Memo obviously has not been sent

•   Message 1 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

We have lived on the Island for 12 years and always done our residency up until last October. The only reason we did not continue was that the Lefkosia immigration kept saying that we were wasting our money as we were over 60, plus the Immigration Police on the border also told us this. Anyway, we returned to the Island last Friday via Larnaca after 3 weeks in Bangkok to be told 30 days. Then on Saturday, the Cyprus News reported that the Interior Minister Mrs Baybar was sending a memo to the Immigration to say over 60's had until 2020 to do their residency! Obviously not sent as today we went shopping on the south and on the way back, the smiling lady officer told us 1 month!
Anyone know her lawyers number!!!! Such confusion!!!!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The Memo obviously has not been sent

•   Message 2 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

There are at least half a dozen threads running on this with a lot of them having much of the information you want.

Basically if you are over 60 you still need to get residency but have a year to do it from the 23rd of October. What is not clear yet is whether you can leave the border after the 30 days without a fine if you have started your application.

There is a lot of confusion but there are people trying to sort it out. If you use facebook there is a group North Cyprus Ex Pat Group where there is a lot of discussion and questions being answered.

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 29 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

I do not think to start talking of lawyers is the correct forward.
I initially had temporary residency, as my husbnad of 83 does and he renews, despite what they say. I have had a work permit for many years. 1 year ago September, they (the Ministry) told me that I could apply for citizenship and stop the work permit. I had the blood tests, paid the fee etc. I played safe and renewed the permit for 4 months, just to cover myself, knowing how the system is so lax here. I am still awaiting the citizenship 14 months later!!! Being well over 60, I have also been told at the border, why renew you are over 60? until last week and now all changes with no advice! Shambles.

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

Actually my thread was tongue in cheek! I have read every thread possible, but no one knows anything clearly. The BRS who seemed to have started all this is very quiet. I sent them an e mail and the reply was they had a backlog. If something is not Broken, Don't try to fix it comes to mind!!!!!

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

I have just got home and this is on Facebook....Juris Law Firm said yesterday they would compile their own take on the subject matter. I have not read it yet, nor have I read any comments yet. So have a look and see if it helps.

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Juris% ... FUsPlBwe_r
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 29 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Dalartokat wrote:I have just got home and this is on Facebook....Juris Law Firm said yesterday they would compile their own take on the subject matter. I have not read it yet, nor have I read any comments yet. So have a look and see if it helps.

Still quoting 3 x min wage for home owners which contradicts BRS / Cyprus Today, Interior Ministry Lawyer on Facebook.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Dalartokat wrote:I have just got home and this is on Facebook....Juris Law Firm said yesterday they would compile their own take on the subject matter. I have not read it yet, nor have I read any comments yet. So have a look and see if it helps.

Still quoting 3 x min wage for home owners which contradicts BRS / Cyprus Today, Interior Ministry Lawyer on Facebook.

Yes that’s been pointed out on the comments on the Facebook page.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 29 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Looks like a good solid translation of the laws as initially released. It also fails to cover any type of permit that a foreign person/person must obtain should they live here on a permanent basis but either in a leased property or in a rented accommodation.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

One thing I reckon it has achieved. This place is quiet this week with hardly any posts. I suspect everyone is in a queue at Immigration. Tongue in cheek!

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

Aah! Chris Wright, that brings up the one question that no one has made clear. Do we go to police or Lefkosia immigration if over 60. Very conflicting views. Maybe Juris solicitors will know!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 29 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Heaven wrote:Actually my thread was tongue in cheek! I have read every thread possible, but no one knows anything clearly. The BRS who seemed to have started all this is very quiet. I sent them an e mail and the reply was they had a backlog. If something is not Broken, Don't try to fix it comes to mind!!!!!
I really think people need to stop blaming the BRS. This is all coming in line with Turkish laws, and have to say from what I have seen, it is much cheaper to get legal here than Turkey at the moment. It is quite ironic that for years now over 60s have kept asking what the rules are, and have been able to take advantage of the gentleman’s agreement. Now it is all being clarified suddenly it is problem. The fact is also people have been taking advantage of popping over the border and get another ninety days, which is the thing that has been far more likely to cause the current change than anything the BRS have done, so, I think rather than blaming the BRS you should be blaming people who have taken advantage of the loophole for years which has now been so rightly closed. There is more than enough information now available on the situation, and people need to stop taking it personally, like oh I am a Brit and they don’t want me here..... get a life and you have a year to do so. Consider how much has been saved by either being over sixty and taking advantage of the ‘gentlemans’ agreement, or, the fact that many have flaunted the law for years by popping over the border and getting another 90 days. Do you think it is acceptable or possible for non uk residents, in UK for example, to be able to do this..... I think not. And usually Brits are the first to complain about immigrants in uk.... so stop whinging get legal and get on with life.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 29 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Heaven wrote:Aah! Chris Wright, that brings up the one question that no one has made clear. Do we go to police or Lefkosia immigration if over 60. Very conflicting views. Maybe Juris solicitors will know!
A lady over 60 with existing residency went Girne police yesterday to renew and was advised that she would receive a call from immigration in approx 30 days to be told when to go to collect her residency.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Joandjelly, that is good news. I have been asking for a few days what we are supposed to do. Do you know what documents your friends took with them?? I used to get my residency every year for 10 years until the border people told me i was wasting my money. And now i just need to know what i need to take and where to go.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

waddo wrote:Looks like a good solid translation of the laws as initially released. It also fails to cover any type of permit that a foreign person/person must obtain should they live here on a permanent basis but either in a leased property or in a rented accommodation.
Looking through Facebook on the North Cyprus Expats Forum, the same question has been answered and someone’s opinion is.... sorry but opinions?.

“If you look at my answer from the Ministry lawyer Uğur Çulhaoğlu he explains that we follow the same procedure as homeowners but have to provide 3 x monthly income if we rent. I think we have to apply through the category 'high income'.”

A long way to go maybe, but, copied this....think it’s Bogaz..

” Sütcü law are holding an information session on Thursday 11 am at karsel restaurant .The session is free.we will make a note of recurring problems and will raise this directly with İskele police station”

I have tried googling this restaurant but to no avail, so if anyone knows either correct spelling or where it is maybe might help. I tried Karusel, but nothing.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 15 of 29 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

mrsgee wrote:
Heaven wrote:Actually my thread was tongue in cheek! I have read every thread possible, but no one knows anything clearly. The BRS who seemed to have started all this is very quiet. I sent them an e mail and the reply was they had a backlog. If something is not Broken, Don't try to fix it comes to mind!!!!!
I really think people need to stop blaming the BRS. This is all coming in line with Turkish laws, and have to say from what I have seen, it is much cheaper to get legal here than Turkey at the moment. It is quite ironic that for years now over 60s have kept asking what the rules are, and have been able to take advantage of the gentleman’s agreement. Now it is all being clarified suddenly it is problem. The fact is also people have been taking advantage of popping over the border and get another ninety days, which is the thing that has been far more likely to cause the current change than anything the BRS have done, so, I think rather than blaming the BRS you should be blaming people who have taken advantage of the loophole for years which has now been so rightly closed. There is more than enough information now available on the situation, and people need to stop taking it personally, like oh I am a Brit and they don’t want me here..... get a life and you have a year to do so. Consider how much has been saved by either being over sixty and taking advantage of the ‘gentlemans’ agreement, or, the fact that many have flaunted the law for years by popping over the border and getting another 90 days. Do you think it is acceptable or possible for non uk residents, in UK for example, to be able to do this..... I think not. And usually Brits are the first to complain about immigrants in uk.... so stop whinging get legal and get on with life.
I think that whilst there are a few who may blame the BRS for me it’s frustration with the BRS rather than blame.

I do believe the over 60s “gentlemen’s agreement” did need clarification. The BRS I do believe sought clarification. If the BRS did indeed seek clarification then they must also be aware that whatever decisions were to be made affects all ex pats over 60. This includes BRS members, non BRS members plus also other nationalities.

Therefore in my opinion the BRS do have an obligation to ensure that everyone is provided with information and guidance concerning the new rules and regulations. Most of us are not moaning about the new rules, it’s the frustration of not understanding what is required to comply and the process to be followed. Even BRS members posting on this forum are voicing concerns about the lack of feedback and information from an organisation of which they are members.

It’s taking time but slowly slowly thro members posting on the forum and Facebook it seems that the rules are becoming a little clearer. Still a way to go, especially around the on line process but it’s getting there.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 29 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

Well, think yourself lucky you had a reply, I wrote to them on 15th October and have still had nothing back, not even an acknowledgement of my mail.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

This link, although older, shows almost the same information, except it’s more about the Interior Ministers motives for the changes and also the last paragraph about Email addresses and mobile phones.

https://cypriumnews.com/2019/09/08/tigh ... e-country/

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

Posh in Devon, I agree whole heartedly with what you say. It is total frustration and being left in the dark. We have no problem with doing our residency, I would do it tomorrow, especially as we have only 30 days. But the frustration is where to do it and when can we do it!

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 29 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Geoff1131 wrote:Joandjelly, that is good news. I have been asking for a few days what we are supposed to do. Do you know what documents your friends took with them?? I used to get my residency every year for 10 years until the border people told me i was wasting my money. And now i just need to know what i need to take and where to go.
This is what she posted on FB:

Went to immigration office behind Girne police offices yesterday (over 60 route).
Copies of :
Kocan
Passport
Previous residency stamp in passport (if you have)
Muchtar letter +stamp
Bank statment(s) showing income/bank account (local)
(Plus original Pink book if issued.)
Police check papers to make sure you have all required/eligibility and provide a stamped chit in your passport explaining you will get call /text in 30days to go to Immigration Lefkosa to pick up/pay for residency permit. Make sure they have your phone number noted.

Go very early because only open in morning. Obtain ticket from machine, settle down for a wait/coffee shop outside to right. If your number is not called before lunch you have to return another day. There are a few seats but lots of standing otherwise.
I got there about 8.15 & on No 22 but luckily my friend got ticket on arrival so I was No 10. .. No 2 was being dealt with. I left at around 9.30 am

If you go to Lefkosa it will be the same routine but more people being dealt with through the day (but close for lunch if my memory serves me right).

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Do you mean an extra stamp apart from the one on the Muhtars letter?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 29 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

And what stamp is needed for Muhtar please. You realise you are being used as a Guinea Pig don't you? BTW Do you get a number each?

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 29 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

sophie wrote:And what stamp is needed for Muhtar please. You realise you are being used as a Guinea Pig don't you? BTW Do you get a number each?
My experience with muhtars letter for old residence applications (Ozankoy) was they came with stamps has part of the cost, and if making a joint application just take one number

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 29 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

sophie wrote:And what stamp is needed for Muhtar please. You realise you are being used as a Guinea Pig don't you? BTW Do you get a number each?
go to the local post office and ask for the stamp for your muhtars letter.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 29 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I have just returned from the UK via Larnaca airport. I went on the 17th October - nothing said on leaving Metehan checkpoint. Came back last night at 10pm (Metehan), handed passports in, said "Iyi aksamlar" to the lady who fiddled on her computer then handed passports back and off we went without a word being said about new law, 30 days or anything. Sally took me to the airport on 17th and collected me last night, not a word was said to her either.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 29 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

frontalman wrote:I have just returned from the UK via Larnaca airport. I went on the 17th October - nothing said on leaving Metehan checkpoint. Came back last night at 10pm (Metehan), handed passports in, said "Iyi aksamlar" to the lady who fiddled on her computer then handed passports back and off we went without a word being said about new law, 30 days or anything. Sally took me to the airport on 17th and collected me last night, not a word was said to her either.
Interesting!!! Do you already have residence permit and are over 60?

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

I have today received an email from the BRS, I'm aware there's some ill feeling against them by some.
There's been a meeting between the BRS. and Ministers responsible, those in authority have agreed that there has been mixed messages from border staff, they stated those that overstay 30 days if already In possession of temporary residency, will not be subjected to any adverse action, fines etc, they are working on the problem.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 27 of 29 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Bogaz58 wrote:I have today received an email from the BRS, I'm aware there's some ill feeling against them by some.
There's been a meeting between the BRS. and Ministers responsible, those in authority have agreed that there has been mixed messages from border staff, they stated those that overstay 30 days if already In possession of temporary residency, will not be subjected to any adverse action, fines etc, they are working on the problem.
The email from the BRS has been posted by a Kibkom member in the Residence permits and Visa regulations topic.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

Didn't see that, thanks, thought it would be of interest.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 29 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

jayceebee wrote:
frontalman wrote:I have just returned from the UK via Larnaca airport. I went on the 17th October - nothing said on leaving Metehan checkpoint. Came back last night at 10pm (Metehan), handed passports in, said "Iyi aksamlar" to the lady who fiddled on her computer then handed passports back and off we went without a word being said about new law, 30 days or anything. Sally took me to the airport on 17th and collected me last night, not a word was said to her either.
Interesting!!! Do you already have residence permit and are over 60?
No we don't hold residency and yes we are over 60 (though you wouldn't think so!)

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”