General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Message from Turkcell

•   Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Right, a different subject to residency..... Does anyone know what this message is all about?

Last 13 Days! In accordance with the changing Electronic Communication Act, you will have to register your non-contractual line by November 6, 2019. We expect you to sign up to Turkcell Communication Centers.

It was in Turkish, but I have translated it...

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Message from Turkcell

•   Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Thank you Hector, all as clear as mud as usual, best just to visit the Turkcell shop then. Thanks again

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Just tried to WhatsApp them but message comes back on screen to say I'm not on WhatsApp. I have been with WhatsApp for years. I was going to ask if they sold any other phones than Samsung or iPhones. (Just realised I should have put this on thread re the Famagusta store!!)

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

They do sell other makes of phone Sophie https://www.kktcell.com/cihazlar

Have sent you PM

justsayin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Post by justsayin »

Going to call into shop in morning re damn messages. We gave information years ago. So why again? Will see if this is a general message/voice message automatically on all phones regardless. Yes they have our personal information usually get a happy birthday text from them.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

We have had a Contract with Turkcell for nearly 15 years and still get the flaming message, when as I understand it, its supposed to be just for Payg. At that time, they wanted to see contract for the house, passport, date we first came in to TRNC, whether we had a bank account and name of bank. And yes "justsayin" we too get birthday and New Year messages. How sweet!!

justsayin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

Post by justsayin »

Right. - went to shop this morning. Just needed passport and phone. Completed very easily.
This is for the government not Turkcell . On this occasion understand why gov is doing this - sensible. So they know exactly who owns the number. Therefore who is making the call/message..

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Alphamike very kindly sent me details of an outlet in Lefkosia that sells many other phones than Turkcell or Telsim. www. sharafstore.com/en/urun-katego. Their selection makes Turkcell/Telsim look like rank outsiders. Apparently you can visit them or choose from their catalogue. You don't pay in advance and they deliver to your door and you pay then. They have a mobile machine or you can pay with plastic or cash.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

justsayin wrote:Right. - went to shop this morning. Just needed passport and phone. Completed very easily.
This is for the government not Turkcell . On this occasion understand why gov is doing this - sensible. So they know exactly who owns the number. Therefore who is making the call/message..
I appreciate the Government's snooping. However, just because I own the 'phone, it doesn't necessarily mean I am making the calls. It could be family, friends or a temporary loan to somebody who needs to call but doesn't have a 'phone or has a dead battery.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

tomsteel wrote:
justsayin wrote:Right. - went to shop this morning. Just needed passport and phone. Completed very easily.
I appreciate the Government's snooping. However, just because I own the 'phone, it doesn't necessarily mean I am making the calls. It could be family, friends or a temporary loan to somebody who needs to call but doesn't have a 'phone or has a dead battery.
Just be careful who you lend it to then...

If there was a security alert, and they determined that your 'phone/Sim appeared to be involved in passing messages at the time, it's YOU that they would be interested in!

No doubt, you would explain your way out of it - eventually, but they would undoubtedly hold you responsible for the use of your own 'phone

justsayin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

Post by justsayin »

Keithcaley - Well said.
Unfortunately as much as we'd all like to live in a safe world we don't anymore. Normal Joe Bloggs can find himself being involved in an unpleasant situation. Intelligence observation can help and should be available if necessary.

Cyprus Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Cyprus Hector »

Just had another one of those 'special' NC experiences when we went to register our PAYG mobile phones (purchased in NC some years ago). We drove into Girne (30 -40 minutes out of the rush hour for us) avoiding the large puddles of rainwater and the careful drivers. Only 2 'Jeeez.. us' moments as the usual careful drivers overtook in the face of inconsiderate oncoming traffic.

Parked in Girne main car park where as usual everyone had parked carefully and well within the white lines. Then strolled down to the main Turkcell shop by 11.30 am.

They even have a ticket machine now (like Kibtec) for customer service and a long queue had formed at the phone sales area inside the rear of the shop. It was somewhat chaotic at the counter just inside the shop but we managed to attract attention just long enough to say 'Phone registration?' This was met with a surly 'come back tomorrow' ' we are closed for registration' I don't understand you'. It was obvious really by the numbers of people in the shop but a kind English lady who was behind the counter said that they were far too busy selling new phones to deal with phone registrations. She did say that we could register the phones at any Turkcell outlet shop except this one, obviously. We were dubious about that as we thought we'd read on this very forum that you couldn't.

Anyway, my blood pressure was somewhat challenged and we left. At least we didn't have to pay for the car park.

As we drove home we saw Laconic in Girne, the phone and computer shop and there was actually a space to park outside. Result! Thinking it was worth a try, we went inside and wow what a difference in attitude. The young lady assistant was extremely pleasant and said that we could indeed register our mobile phones which we duly did. Done and dusted in 10 minutes. Thank you Laconic!

lee666
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Post by lee666 »

Went to he Turkcell office this morning on the Karaoglanoglu road this morning by the roundabout that takes you up to Multimax.

10 minutes, all done and friendly staff. Personally I would stay out of the Girne centre Turkcell offices as they are for sure to be busy.

I'm retired so not in any particular hurry to be honest, needs to be done but no stress for me.
Last edited by lee666 on Mon 28 Oct 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

justsayin wrote:Going to call into shop in morning re damn messages. We gave information years ago. So why again? Will see if this is a general message/voice message automatically on all phones regardless. Yes they have our personal information usually get a happy birthday text from them.
We registered our 3 years ago but still had to register again,cos it's pay as you go

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

For once I'm delighted we went through the palaver of having a monthly contract, at least we're excused this latest piece of beaurocracy. Bummer, I suppose I've talked it up now!! To be honest I've never been able to see the benefits of PAYG.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

sophie wrote:....To be honest I've never been able to see the benefits of PAYG.
Depends how sociable you are (and how many friends you have!); in the UK I probably make about 2-4 calls and receive (possibly) 1 or 2 calls per year; in TRNC make about 6-8 calls (ordering water!) per year......
PAYG and £5 per year usually covers all my calls....

moneypenny5
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Post by moneypenny5 »

My friend who has 2 phones on monthly contracts with Turkcell, like Sophie, thought she was exempt from re registering her phones. On phoning me yesterday my friend also got the message to re register her phones.

Whilst re registering my phone today, I was told that re registration action is required as the NC Government are aware of illegal betting via mobile phones and this is their way to put a stop it.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I wonder if anyone told them about VPNs and VOIP/messaging apps (Skype Whatsapp Viber etc.)...

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Does it make it any clearer if it’s explained that it’s not registering phones, it’s registering SIM cards?

Phone handsets can (and often are) changed. If you want to keep your phone number then you transfer the SIM to the new handset. Hence the need to register both separately.

Or that’s how it seems to me.

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

We went into the Turkcell shop near the HSBC roundabout this morning to register my husbands phone. The young man in there spoke English and was very helpful, he checked the passport number and registered the phone for us, done and dusted in ten minutes, really quick and easy to do.

Ever onwards
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Ever onwards »

I have just been into a Turkcell office and they confirmed that only users on “pay as you go” need to register so if you have a contract you don’t need to do anything.

Mr B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mr B »

We went to Laconic this morning and were informed that they had run out of forms and suggested we come back after Friday.

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Went to Turkcell office opposite China Bazaar in Karakum this morning, 3 in front of us, took us an hour in total, think the systems are slow, but all done with good humour. Whilst in the queue, we wrote on a piece of paper, our address, mobile number, mothers name and maiden name, fathers name and the last three mobile numbers that we had rung. We gave that to the lady with our passport which speeded it up a bit!

Mr B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mr B »

We went to the Turkcell shop opposite Turkbank in Karaoglanoglu this morning - you simply send a text messaage that is on an A4 piece of paper on the counter to the number provided. A few minutes later your text is confirmed by Turkcell and the lady behind the counter then asks for your passport, together with your mobile number, she then uses her tablet to photo your passport - seconds later once confirmed she will ask you to sign in two places with her stick pen on the tablet and that's it. You will receive a text message thanking you for the updated information. (Simples as they say)!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Mr Mac, giving what other people are doing, I'm assuming your message is a "funny"?

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Sophie, no, I don't think Mr Mac is being funny. Having been to the same shop earlier this week, could have been the same day as Mr Mac, yes, you had to give all this information and sign the bottom of three pages of a form, both sides, so six lots of name and signature. Either they have changed the way they are doing it, or different shops are doing it different ways. Karaoglanolu sounds like the best option.

Lovelife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Lovelife »

I went into the shop opposite China Bazaar yesterday, I had to provide mother,father names, address, 3 previous numbers I had phoned and passport, I had to sign 3 sheets of paper both sides. All done in around 15 minutes.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Strange that isn't mrs gee? What you went through was exactly what we went through 15 years ago the day we obtained out first SIM card.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

The shop opposite China Bazaar confirmed that as I pay for my phone calls by Direct Debit, there was no need for me to register, which is just as well as she only had enough forms for the people in front of me in the queue!

SussexBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

Post by SussexBoy »

Lovelife wrote:I went into the shop opposite China Bazaar yesterday, I had to provide mother,father names, address, 3 previous numbers I had phoned and passport, I had to sign 3 sheets of paper both sides. All done in around 15 minutes.
Is that ANY 3 number previously phoned on the sim card or the LAST 3 numbers phoned?

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

The last three rang and have to have been answered numbers. If you rang and they didn’t answer it won’t count!!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

sophie wrote:Strange that isn't mrs gee? What you went through was exactly what we went through 15 years ago the day we obtained out first SIM card.
Well we got ours probably around 15 years ago.. but fact is rules change don’t they? I do think that TRNC are bringing things more in line with Turkey... and please may I ask that no one shoots me down in flames over this. Lol. But when we popped to turkey on a bit of a jolly holiday, we asked at turkcell before we went about roaming. It was only available with contract and we were told best to just get a new sim over there... fine, no probs but had to go through exactly the same process as is now here. and the new residency rules are bringing us in line with Turkey too.... or has no one quite spotted that?

Lawson
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Lawson »

sophie wrote:Just tried to WhatsApp them but message comes back on screen to say I'm not on WhatsApp. I have been with WhatsApp for years. I was going to ask if they sold any other phones than Samsung or iPhones. (Just realised I should have put this on thread re the Famagusta store!!)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Try WhatsApp Plus Alternative Of WhatsApp Use Dual Account At The Same Time.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”