General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Over 60. 90 day visa

•   Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Arrived Ercan last night. UK passports stamped 90 days. Asked over 60? No 90 day! Told new rule!!!
First we've had in 6years

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Over 60. 90 day visa

•   Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Yes, I mentioned this about four weeks ago as two people I know were given ninety days.

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

We went to the south yesterday and on returning were told "30 Days, New Rule", I did try to say that the new rule was not in force yet and he said 23rd October. According to previous publicity it stated that it would come in October 23rd but we would then have a year to do the necessary (whatever the necessary might be).

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

We went to the South yesterday and wasn't told anything at all. Nor were we when we went over to collect our guests last week nor when we walked across in Ledar Street with them either. It would seem that some are interpreting the rules in their own way before the rules even come in. We could get someone to seek clarification but then you get into trouble for that sort of thing.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Being a 'swallow' how can we plan ahead to get reasonably priced airfares? 90 days in 180? When does the 90days start? Our days are numbered in the TRNC I'm sorry to say.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I went to the South yesterday, no problem there or back.

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

As you say, either someone interpreting the rules in their own way or a jobsworth bully who likes to intimidate people. I have emailed the BRS and the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister seeking advice, so I wait to see if I get a reply. The trouble is at the moment, as the new rules have not been officially published, what do I do when my 30 days are up?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

A tc friend called someone at the Interior Ministry today for some information regarding how much income has to be shown when applying for temporary visas he said he knows a lot of people are concerned about this and other questions so they are trying to organise a meeting very soon where all nationalities can go and ask questions to clarify this and other points and get accurate answers. Date to be announced soon.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Teatime, you say ‘ what do I do when the 30 days are up.
Four choices from what I can see.
1. Leave the country
2. Apply for residency
3. Go to immigration and ask for an extension
4. Be prepared to pay huge fine if you overstay.

Whether new rules are in force or not you have been given thirty days by immigration. The only way round that is to ask them for an extension.

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

Mr Chinnery

1. Do you mean leave the country and then return to get more time, or leave the country for good, which, with the attitude they are showing at the moment I am seriously thinking of doing. I prefer to live in a country where I feel welcomed, which I used to feel here and still do by my Turkish Cypriot and Turkish neighbours?

2. Do you mean the temporary visitors stamp that I used to get every year before I opted for the "Gentleman's Agreement" after the age of 60, which I will of course do when the powers that be inform us of what is required?

3. Could you explain further how I go about doing this?

4. Is this "huge fine" on exit or re-entry, as that could make a big difference to my decision?

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Teatime,
If you have been given thirty days, you need to do something you can’t stay unless you want a fine which I believe is a daily fine, how much I don’t know but it won’t be cheap.

With regard to annual visitor permit you have let your old one lapse, the new system is not in place yet, so I would guess you will need to start as if it is your very first permit, if that’s what you want to do.

Some might argue that as the new system is not in place yet just carry on - as you are over sixty and you don’t need a visitor permit. Me personally would not take that route.

In relation to asking for an extension to the thirty days you would need to go to immigration at the Police Station and ask them, make sure you get something in writing. If not satisfied go to immigration in Lefkosa. This is the option I would take first.

Remember it is your responsibility. You have a thirty day stamp. Do not under any circumstances ignore it .You need to do something.

If all else fails I would leave the country before the stamp expires.

Gentleman’s agreements are not law, it was only a matter of time before it was cancelled.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Teatime, according to the BRS website, the fine is 120 TL per day (June 2019), no idea if this is on exit or re-entry.
http://www.brstrnc.com/index.php/lifest ... june-2017-

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

alphamike wrote:Teatime, according to the BRS website, the fine is 120 TL per day (June 2019), no idea if this is on exit or re-entry. -
They used to let you leave with no fine but if you return you would have to pay a lot more, this I gather is explained at the time so never to return is good. I know only of one person who tried to return after 4 years and it was still on record. The only problem if you have a 'visa' when it expires, in this case after 30 days you have no legal right to stay here.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I agree with the others who say that you need to do something. I would go to the Immigration office and explain what has happened and see what they say. It is obviously not the law yet as otherwise those of us that have been over on the same day as you would be subject to the same 30 day restriction and nothing was said to us at all. Of course it could be that our passports were marked as 30 day and nothing said to us but how would we know?

I think a lot of people are jumping to the wrong conclusion with all of this they don't want us here. Yes they do want us here as they rely on our money. What they want is to know how many of us are here so they can control it the same as the UK does and I guess pretty much most other Countries. Just because the TRNC have been lax with their visa rules in the past does not mean it will remain that way. I up to now have relied on the over 60 rule but when it changes I will do whatever I need to do to abide by the new rules as that will mean we can stay here. As far as I know and no one has said anything different the new system does not come into effect until the 23rd of this month. They are saying you will be able to apply on line as of the 1st of November (I doubt it) and then you have one year to complete your residency application. In which time you will be recorded as having applied and therefore will have complied with their rules. As of yet there is no set amount for income or savings and if they set the amount too high meaning thousands of us are ineligible then it would harm their economy beyond belief.

Whilst it is wrong that you are having to jump through this extra hoop just because someone at the border has given you 30 days you still need to do something about it sadly. I wish you luck with it and will be pleased to hear how you get on.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Chriswright03 wrote:I agree with the others who say that you need to do something. I would go to the Immigration office and explain what has happened and see what they say. It is obviously not the law yet as otherwise those of us that have been over on the same day as you would be subject to the same 30 day restriction and nothing was said to us at all. Of course it could be that our passports were marked as 30 day and nothing said to us but how would we know?

I think a lot of people are jumping to the wrong conclusion with all of this they don't want us here. Yes they do want us here as they rely on our money. What they want is to know how many of us are here so they can control it the same as the UK does and I guess pretty much most other Countries. Just because the TRNC have been lax with their visa rules in the past does not mean it will remain that way. I up to now have relied on the over 60 rule but when it changes I will do whatever I need to do to abide by the new rules as that will mean we can stay here. As far as I know and no one has said anything different the new system does not come into effect until the 23rd of this month. They are saying you will be able to apply on line as of the 1st of November (I doubt it) and then you have one year to complete your residency application. In which time you will be recorded as having applied and therefore will have complied with their rules. As of yet there is no set amount for income or savings and if they set the amount too high meaning thousands of us are ineligible then it would harm their economy beyond belief.

Whilst it is wrong that you are having to jump through this extra hoop just because someone at the border has given you 30 days you still need to do something about it sadly. I wish you luck with it and will be pleased to hear how you get on.

A great summary of the position at the moment.

Nothing is set in stone and whilst there are a few answers there are still many questions.

We also have no issues with the new rules. It seems to be sensible for the TRNC to want to know how many people are entering, leaving and living here. I certainly do not feel the new rules are being implemented to squeeze out the ex pat population. The timeframes to comply, such as they are at the moment seem reasonable. The actual process is still vague, as are the costs etc. It will shake itself out in due course....yavas, yavas.

There is of course many other questions as to how the ROC will react, what rules will they impose. Who knows. Remember there are British Sovereign bases in the south. What happens if you enter the ROC via the crossings at Beyarmudu or Vrysoulles ( Black Knight). Again we just do not know and guessing really isn’t any use.

Whatever happens things are changing, just go with the flow.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

I don’t buy the ‘They need to know how many people are arriving and leaving’. Every legal arrival and every legal departure is logged on a computer as such. So they must know how many are in the country.
Anyone who enters illegally is not going to declare that fact by registering.
The main reason for getting everyone to register under the new system is to get money from those over sixty years of age who made use of the so called Gentleman’s agreement.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

One of the main reasons for the new rules is to crack down on illegal workers . Most of you may well think so why should that include expats over 60s? Well the facts of the matter are there are a number of uk expats working illegally! Taking people to airports doing odd jobs working in. Bars cleaning painting selling stuff etc etc. also its the expat community who are supporting them .

If the rules come in and turn out to effect you the first people to point the finger at are illegal uk expat workers and the expats who are supporting them !

And regarding income its the expats who dont have enough money to live on who are doing the illegal work to boost their income so again if they bring in an increase in income proof for residency the reason will be they dont want people coming here working illegally taking the income of trnc citizens and depriving the country of much needed tax and revenues.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

"Taking the job's of the trnc citizens "
That's a laugh most won't get out of bed to clean pools or garden work.
I can't remember the last time I made an expensive purchase to be told that it was cheaper without a tax receipt.
People in glass houses comes to mind.
Last edited by 13roman58 on Thu 17 Oct 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Your argument has no rationale . Uk expats are being included because there are expats working here illegally . Yes there are other forms of tax evasion but thats irrelevant . And saying the trnc people are lazy is insulting to the peoples whose country you are staying in . There are many hard working trnc citizens just like there are in the uk . You only have to go to a council estate in the uk and look all the drugged up scroungers living there . So there are lazy people everywhere but it has nothing to do with the facts here or people in glass houses throwing stones.

And just because you are helping others evade taxes by not taking a receipt thats nothing to do with new immigration rules . Your argument is baseless .two wrongs do not make a right !

Also as a point you write taxi receipt instead of tax receipt but thats a salient point as the local taxi drivers who are paying inurance and tax are not happy at the illegal exapts ferrying people about and stealing their business ! Or are as you say they all lying in bed ........

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Predictive text.
Try to spell 'british ' advise predictive text.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

At the end of the day what will be will be. It’s called change

We from the whole ex pat community (Not just the British) as visitors, swallows or all year round residents will have to comply. The “gentlemen’s agreement” is ending. Whilst many including ourselves took advantage of the over 60s so called agreement it did raise a good few questions in itself.

I just hope that a proper process will be in place and once things are finalised whatever the requirements it will be documented, easy to understand and straightforward. The current process isn’t that onerous, so hopefully any improvement would be welcomed. Also the current costs are not that excessive especially when calculated on a daily basis over the year. I am all for making things clearer as vagueness is open to different interpretation by everyone, ourselves included.

I still maintain that as the BRS raised this topic and sought clarification they have a duty to inform everyone (Not just BRS members) of the procedures as they understand them. It affects us all.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

frontalman wrote:I went to the South yesterday, no problem there or back.
Yes, so did we. Just as before....entered passport details on computer each way. No stamping.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Reyntj, I can agree with you but feel I must ask why should i be asked to show what savings I have, when my pensions income is clearly much more than the National minimum wage here? I am more than happy to show anyone how much I have as "Income" but savings are a different matter. I would be happy if the amount I am required to prove is more than the minimum wage but see no reason why it should be. If a local citizen can afford to live on the minimum wage then I should be able to as well???

I am retired here, I support myself with my income from pensions, I do not work and if I do something for anyone I will not accept money for doing it, I do it because I want to or the person I do it for needs help!

Every person who lives here should hold some form of identity card and be registered on a National database then nobody can complain, I would be very happy to be part of a system that can be accessed by all Government Offices and I think the only reason this has not happened before is that the use of "Joined Up" IT and Networked Information is only just in the process of becoming a reality here, times are changing fast these days!

As for Taxi services - find me one single taxi driver who charges his family for a trip from/to the airport and I will stop taking my family to the airport or picking them up from there. For the people who provide "illegal" and uninsured taxi services I have no time at all, they are taking the bread money out of working people and that is sad indeed.

My one big gripe - and I doubt it will ever change - is that information is so difficult to obtain from any official source. If a thing is a law or a regulation then put it in writing on a web site so everyone can find it. The current system of telling the press what "might" or "may" be about to happen in the future is a shortcut to disaster - I give Brexit as a perfect example of this!!! At this time I think I may have to register after the 23rd of October, this even though my current visa (as I have a current visa, why do I need to register?) does not expire until September next year, I may also have to gain a new style driving license and have a medical check first (because I am over 70) but that is in the future - possibly. Can I find any solid and true Government released information about either of these - No! But if you know better please let me know. http://www.mahkemeler.net/cgi-bin/default.aspx is useful but really hard to navigate - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Mr Chinnery wrote:I don’t buy the ‘They need to know how many people are arriving and leaving’. Every legal arrival and every legal departure is logged on a computer as such. So they must know how many are in the country.
The main reason for getting everyone to register under the new system is to get money from those over sixty years of age who made use of the so called Gentleman’s agreement.
It would appear the computers don't talk to each other. I know of people who use different borders and it is obvious that the questions asked of them show the information is either not shared or the individuals working the computers are lacking in the required skills. I agree it 'should' be simple enough to interrogate the computer system and show exactly who is in and who is out at any one time but apparently it isn't. Any computer programme writers fancy a job?

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Mr Chinnery wrote:I don’t buy the ‘They need to know how many people are arriving and leaving’. Every legal arrival and every legal departure is logged on a computer as such. So they must know how many are in the country.
It would appear the computers don't talk to each other. I know of people who use different borders and it is obvious that the questions asked of them show the information is either not shared or the individuals working the computers are lacking in the required skills. I agree it 'should' be simple enough to interrogate the computer system and show exactly who is in and who is out at any one time but apparently it isn't. Any computer programme writers fancy a job?
maybe a job for an ex pat

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

Post by erol »

It is not just about counting an individual in and out again and recording that. It is about future ongoing intentions of those entering the country. With the current system when an over 60 persona arrives, that arrival is recorded but there is not way to know if they are arriving for a one week holiday, 1 month holiday, 4 month swallow visit or to stay permanently. The task of extrapolating back, once they have left again is not trivial either and even then will only tell the authorities what their historic visits was for, it does not give any indication of a current one, until they leave again and the numbers are crunched. The new proposed system provides better information as to the ongoing intent of those who enter the country, which is useful for all sorts of reasons.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:Reyntj, I can agree with you but feel I must ask why should i be asked to show what savings I have, when my pensions income is clearly much more than the National minimum wage here? I am more than happy to show anyone how much I have as "Income" but savings are a different matter. I would be happy if the amount I am required to prove is more than the minimum wage but see no reason why it should be. If a local citizen can afford to live on the minimum wage then I should be able to as well???

I am retired here, I support myself with my income from pensions, I do not work and if I do something for anyone I will not accept money for doing it, I do it because I want to or the person I do it for needs help!

Every person who lives here should hold some form of identity card and be registered on a National database then nobody can complain, I would be very happy to be part of a system that can be accessed by all Government Offices and I think the only reason this has not happened before is that the use of "Joined Up" IT and Networked Information is only just in the process of becoming a reality here, times are changing fast these days!

As for Taxi services - find me one single taxi driver who charges his family for a trip from/to the airport and I will stop taking my family to the airport or picking them up from there. For the people who provide "illegal" and uninsured taxi services I have no time at all, they are taking the bread money out of working people and that is sad indeed.

My one big gripe - and I doubt it will ever change - is that information is so difficult to obtain from any official source. If a thing is a law or a regulation then put it in writing on a web site so everyone can find it. The current system of telling the press what "might" or "may" be about to happen in the future is a shortcut to disaster - I give Brexit as a perfect example of this!!! At this time I think I may have to register after the 23rd of October, this even though my current visa (as I have a current visa, why do I need to register?) does not expire until September next year, I may also have to gain a new style driving license and have a medical check first (because I am over 70) but that is in the future - possibly. Can I find any solid and true Government released information about either of these - No! But if you know better please let me know. http://www.mahkemeler.net/cgi-bin/default.aspx is useful but really hard to navigate - lol.
I would agree with your comment about information is difficult to obtain from an official source. This is a frustration and applies to a number of rules/regulations that should be complied with. I don’t understand why that should be but not convinced that will ever change.

However; in this instance a single source “feeding” the information as and when it becomes available would be helpful. (BRS?). Everyone should accept that what we read and hear from all sources here in the TRNC is subject to interpretation and change but as long as information is posted in good faith when received that would be a start.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Posh, And I agree with you as well that a single source of information would be ideal. However, having failed to even gain an acknowledgement of my last three emails to the BRS Liaison Officer I have my doubts that the BRS really care enough to be that source - knowledge is power after all! Yes I am a BRS member, subject to ever being able to gain a reply to emails that is - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Terri299
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Terri299 »

We arrived on 28th September and got 90 days. Both over 60.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:Posh, And I agree with you as well that a single source of information would be ideal. However, having failed to even gain an acknowledgement of my last three emails to the BRS Liaison Officer I have my doubts that the BRS really care enough to be that source - knowledge is power after all! Yes I am a BRS member, subject to ever being able to gain a reply to emails that is - lol.
It would be dissapointing if the BRS did not take the opportunity to provide a service for all.

It could be the ideal way for them to show that they do indeed care and of course it may well encourage some to join such a helpful and caring organisation.

Just my thoughts. Unlike you, we are not BRS members. We have considered joining but are yet to be convinced.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

The last four visits (2018/2019) - possibly more - crossing via Metehan, merely entered on computer (I assume), no white slips, no stamps, never any indication or specification of how many days.... both over 70. First visited 2011 (both over 60), given white slips and subsequently printed my own in advance until no longer requested...

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”