General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Another whammy

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

On top of the proposed scrapping of the no visa requirement for the over 60's and requiring residency for visits for 90+ days in 180 and health checks for foreign residents applying for a first-time residence permit, the latest whammy is the proposed new driving licence requirements. According to this Saturdays (12th October 2019) Cyprus Today under the headline 'More tests for older drivers' is that all motorists will have to pass a health test every 10 years and then again at 65, with yearly checks from age 70 onwards. It 'might be possible' to merge residency and driving licence health checks, with the addition of eye test as they were 'broadly similar.'
As well as sight and hearing tests, drivers will undergo an evaluation of "locomotion, motor co-ordination and extra accessory requirements" and "disorders such as diabetes, epilepsy and sleep apnoea".
Driving licences will be cancelled for "unrehabilitated" drug or alcohol dependent drivers or those on "green prescription" drugs such as Xanax.
State health officials have said privately that the move would create "chaos" in hospitals while admitting that no board has yet been set up to oversee the new health regulations.'

Words fail me..

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Another whammy

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

The new driving license is quite clever really - if you are over 70 or 80 or 90, blind in one eye, deaf as a post, taking high dose prescription drugs that send you to sleep, have just ticked the "Healthy" box in your UK license renewal every three years, only have one arm and are in a state of perpetual drunkenness - BUT - you are also a swallow who only visits less than 90 days every 180 days, have your own car and can legally drive on your UK license, then you won't need to get a "New" TRNC license as you don't have an old one and anyway you are just a visitor! And words fail you?

Really well thought out plan this one is - another rule made by committee!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

And will this new health check be as thorough as our recent car MOT test I wonder?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

How will the health services cope with all this extra work they are overwhelmed now.

Mr B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Mr B »

I think the sign is saying, go home you foreigners, we don't need you here anymore or am I just having a bad day?

This is our 14th year here, and no I do not expect or indeed want it to be like England, however I would like to see that any legislation is properly assessed before it is presented to press, who may well wish to add their slant to it.
Last edited by Mr B on Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I think the authorities are trying to bring this country up to the standards of a modern state to help facilitate recognition at some point in the future. I am upset that things are changing as I quite enjoyed living in toytown, as it were. I appreciate Hector's concern as I know him and his wife personally. New developments do put a spoke in the works for many visitors.

I get really fed up with Brits taking the p*ss out of this place, showing no respect at all for the indigenous people here, while at the same time expecting everything to happen and to work as if they are still in the UK. I experienced this recently in the local muhtar's office where I had to bite my lip on several occasions. I felt like saying that if I were the lady trying to provide a voluntary service to this mickey-taking bunch of so-and-sos, none of whom had a word of Turkish between them, I might feel like saying "Why don't you frig off, if it is so bad!"

This is a third world country trying to do its best. Yes it's not perfect, but we threw ourselves into the life here a good while ago and don't regret a thing, worts and all.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Well said that man

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I trust that the locals will be asked to jump through these licence hoops. No disrespect to your feelings frontalman, on the subject of locals. Because of they are not, then I feel foreigners of course are going to feel they are been unfairly treated.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

frontalman, Agree with you, I may take the "Micky" out of the place from time to time but that is my way of coping with change! I think it will do us all good to reflect on exactly why we came - and when. 20 years ago things were very different and difficult and time consuming but that was then and this is now, the world has turned and time has moved on but the reasons we all came are probably still the same anyway. It is just that we have learnt the "System" that was in use and now are faced with change when we have become happy with the old system. Would you really want to go back to the time when you came here, honestly? Your life has changed over time, you are now used to being able to cross into the EU and buy things that you still can't get here and certainly could not get then, the postal service here remains the same but now more and more people have PO boxes in the South would you want to change back again.

I have read with great interest - the little that is available - about the new residency rules, can't make head nor tail of them but I will in time and then I will commit to them the same way I have the rules that are in place now. The new license laws will pose the same problem, although I am now well over 70 so may not be able to commit to them and have to find another way to get around. The locals don't all have cars and they can do it so why not me? This country is growing fast and we all will change and grow with it or leave but grow it will.

My only gripe is the lack of communications and understanding, as well as planning, that always occurs between Government departments but hey ho, Just go with the flow and enjoy your time here. Would I consider retirement here if I was retiring now - yes! But I must admit I have enjoyed being a European Citizen and if my crystal ball had told me 20 years ago that the UK would leave the EU then I would probably have gone to Germany instead.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

I trust that the locals will be asked to jump through these licence hoops. No disrespect to your feelings frontalman, on the subject of locals. Because of they are not, then I feel foreigners of course are going to feel they are been unfairly treated.
The way I read it, is applied to everyone. However, I can't help thinking that they are missing the point. The real reason for accidents here is not health, not particularly bad roads - it's pure and simply lack of driving skills, DUI and speeding. Every day the Kıbrıs Gazetesi online publishes articles about accidents and these are the main reasons plus a high proportion of them are caused by under 30s. Unfortunately, it's a blame culture here - blame everyone/thing else but yourself.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

If only the Traffic Police would get out on the roads more often in unannounced spots and become as proactive in asserting their power of enforcement as most European traffic police forces are, the offences of 'using/texting on the 'phone whilst driving, speeding, overtaking in unsafe areas, unsafe vehicles, uninsured, untaxed vehicles and DUI' would reduce. Special, 'fast-track' courts could deal with those cases within weeks. Harsher 'income-related' penalties with a minimum punishment would soon change the habits of the arrogant, ignorant or unlicensed who frequent the TRNC roads. Will it happen, rhetorical? The current proposal on new TRNC DLs based upon age/health check (by which organisation as the current system is reeling) will not address the problem of high death rates and damage costs? Another ill-thought through governmental knee-jerk reaction to bad, but deserved, press.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Come on Aylin; what always worries me is the huge number of traffic accident reports that include the magic words ''no other vehicle was involved....''

enough said.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”