Travel on British Passport is 6 months required?

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

toaodave
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Travel on British Passport is 6 months required?

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by toaodave »

Ive just booked to come out to Northern Cyprus at the end of the month however my wifes Passport expires in February next year. Could anyone tell me if she will be allowed entry as there is less than 6 months remaining on it? I know 6 months is required for Turkey and the gov.uk website states that its "Recommended" for North Cyprus. Just think could be cutting it abit fine to try and renew now before travel.

Thankyou

kiwikid
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Travel on British Passport is 6 months required?

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kiwikid »

You may get away with it, but I wouldn’t risk it! You could also be stop before leaving the UK.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Not worth the risk really.

toaodave
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by toaodave »

Its not a risk as we will be flying into Larnaca and staying with the Inlaws for a few nights anyway, Just would have liked to travel over to my place in the north while we are there. Just didnt want to apply for a passport and it not come back in time then we wouldnt be going away at all.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Well, if you are going to be in the South anyway, it would do no harm to see whether they will let you (both ) into the North for a visit - depending on how far you need to travel to get to the crossing point of course!

In the interest of domestic harmony, I would advise against abandoning your wife at the crossing point and carrying on single handed!

toaodave
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by toaodave »

Thats was secretly my plan lol , I have actually just phoned the consulate in London and they say it will be fine so hopefully wont have any issues.

Thanks for the comments

rosiesmidge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by rosiesmidge »

We are in the same situation our passport runs out in Feb and we are coming out next week to Cyprus, checked with passport office and the say it will not be valid so now we have to go to the Passport Office on Thursday to get New passports, I suggest you phone the Passport Office they were very helpful

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Absolute rip off IMHO. You pays for your 10 years, one should expect to travel right up until the expiry date. I think i'm right in saying they don't even add on any unexpired time but do correct me if i'm wrong. Imagine if your house burned down and you put a claim in 2 weeks before your buildings and contents policy expired and was told it is invalid as it has nearly expired???

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

MnM wrote:Absolute rip off IMHO. You pays for your 10 years, one should expect to travel right up until the expiry date. I think i'm right in saying they don't even add on any unexpired time but do correct me if i'm wrong. Imagine if your house burned down and you put a claim in 2 weeks before your buildings and contents policy expired and was told it is invalid as it has nearly expired???
It's the Country that you are intending to visit that imposes the restriction, not the UK agency who charge you for the passport!

Who do you think is ripping you off?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

From Gov.uk - "Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one."
They used to; my current passport has a validity (date of issue to date of expiry) of 10 years and 2 months - because there was 2 months remaining on the previous one - so added on. Since last year (?) they haven't done this - so IMO it is a rip-off by the government.....

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jofra wrote:From Gov.uk - "Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one."
They used to; my current passport has a validity (date of issue to date of expiry) of 10 years and 2 months - because there was 2 months remaining on the previous one - so added on. Since last year (?) they haven't done this - so IMO it is a rip-off by the government.....
Yes, I agree with you, that part is - I was commenting on the bit about needing 6 months validity in order to visit certain Countries!

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Dalartokat wrote:Explanation given here....
Note that this is from September 2018....

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Yes knew that but it’s an explanation as to how it all started and why, Brexit. Assuming you have read the article, you will see, in my opinion, it’s not a rip off. It’s life.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”