Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

How much to paint a house? (Roughly)

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Hi,

Does anybody have a rough idea on how much it would cost to paint the outside of a two bedroom townhouse, semi detached, two levels plus rooftop terrace.

Thanks

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: How much to paint a house? (Roughly)

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

I asked a similar question - might help: http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... =8&t=48761

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

steveodp wrote:I asked a similar question - might help: http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... =8&t=48761
Thanks, that was very useful.

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by compass »

I have a team at my house right now..... 3 bed detached villa including the metal rails..... £2000.

So a 2 bed semi should be less, hopefully. They have just started so can't recommend them yet .

Compass

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I'm doing ours myself at the moment, it is only a bungalow so no high ladders involved. I must admit I enjoy it - I did it for a living many, many moons ago. Just remember it's 90% preparation and 10% painting. If you don't cut those cracks out properly they will be back in a flash.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

frontalman, how do you cut the cracks out? Is it chisel then how do you fill them afterwards?

thanks for any hints

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for the info.

Our site management have said they will paint the house. Prep work and all paint for £1200.

Starting to think it’s not that bad a deal.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I still have all my old painting tools, and a good old fashioned paint scraper is often all that is required. The short answer is you scrape out the cracks until the surface is sound underneath. That may mean going back to the concrete construction. Make sure the surface is sealed with the equivalent of unibond, there are good equivalent products sold here. It's difficult to give a suits-all answer acquired by experience, unfortunately. Deeper cracks require sand and cement. Kale supply good quality powdered fillers that you mix yourself, or you can buy ready-mixed fillers, but buy the coarser type fillers which match the roughcast surfaces here,

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by compass »

Just a quick update to say the painting team I mentioned in an earlier post completed their work today at noon. Four and a half days from start to finish and an excellent job overall with good attention to detail. The site was left spotlessly clean and tidy at the end of the job .................... as it was each evening with all dirt/dust and tools removed.

Very happy indeed and would highly recommend them. Mahmut is contactable on 0548 8366121

Compass

COG
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by COG »

Could you tell me please whether you supplied the paint to your own requirements re quality, as this seems to be the biggest differential in the quotes given.
Thanks

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

noted thanks.

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by compass »

No I didn't specify the paint quality............... they used Akrisil Quatro100% acrilic paint by Kale Boya. I have a pragmatic view that due to the building methods here, ie no damp proof course, the house need repainting before the paint finish degrades, no matter what type is used.

In my 15 years here I have tried many types and regardless of what claims are made about how "good" a particular paint is the end result is much the same.

Compass

COG
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by COG »

Thanks for that compass. I tend to agree, and I think that perspective may make negotiating a price a little more straightforward!

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Frontal man thanks for you advice. You mention sealing with the equivalent of unibond. Is exterior PVA OK or will any concrete sealer do? Thanks again.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”