General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

chris463
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

can i buy from Amazon

•   Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Post by chris463 »

maybe a silly question can i buy something from Amazon and get delivered here in the north, does it cost more to be delivered, what Im after is only small, if i can order which country is best to order and what address ETC ETC.
if can not order from then then at least i know TIA

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: can i buy from Amazon

•   Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

I don't know the answer to your question but......can you get what you want from Amazon Turkey? https://www.amazon.com.tr. Otherwise you may find Amazon US delivers more to Turkey than the UK branch. Obviously you will use the Mersin 10 address.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Chris463,
Yes you can. I have used Amazon UK a number of times. Items have been delivered to the door by courier.
You will also be able to track your items which is updated regularly. However you will need to make sure that the item is sold and fulfilled by Amazon.
All the information is supplied when you are on the website.
Yes it will cost a little extra but not much.
The way it works is when you placed the order the VAT is knocked off the price by Amazon and replaced by the tax in Turkey which is less than UK. There will be a delivery charge but not as much as you think, but obviously it varies with size and weight of item.
At the end of the day it’s how much it actually cost at the check out compared to if you had it delivered in UK.

I have never paid any additional tax when items have arrived in TRNC.

An example, I ordered a couple of items on a Wednesday evening, the item was in Istanbul on the Friday and was delivered at my home in TRNC the following Wednesday, so a week for delivery, although ten days is more normal.

The thing is as the items are trackable if they do get lost ( not happened to me) Amazon will Refund.

chris463
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

Post by chris463 »

Do you give your full TRNC with mersin, and as not used for a while can you tell me what I write after my street name please

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Your address should look something like this,-

Name Joe soap
Address 129, Baker Sokak
Village name if applicable Edremit
Area. Ie. Karalanoglu
Mersin 10.
Post code. 124367
Country. Turkey
Phone number. 0542 etc

chris463
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Post by chris463 »

Thanks I will give it a try

PortisheadScouser
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Post by PortisheadScouser »

Mr Chinnery
That's a really useful bit of information you have supplied, just what this forum is all about.
I like chris463 will be giving it a go!
Many thanks for your helpful knowledge.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Yes excellent info. Many thanks.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Problem - I can fill in the address but the telephone number, no matter how I put it in is not accepted? Found the item I want and tried to put in my TRNC address but can not get past "There is a slight error with your phone number". I have a 0533 mobile number. Help please??
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

Do you need to put in the Turkish code first 009

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

My Number is also a 0533 number. Try putting it in without any spaces.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Tried that - failed! Put in +90533 etc as that is the number that Amazon actually use to send me my login code and that is fine. But when I use it as the telephone number of the address - problem, it won't work - beginning to lose heart now - lol. Tried without spaces tried it like this - 09 0533 0000000 & +9 0533 0000000 & +90533 0000000 & +90 533 0000000 & +90 533 000 0000 & any other combination I could think of - IT HATES ME!!!

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

The only thing I can suggest is emailing Amazon once you have logged into your account. They are very responsive.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Have you entered your address under ‘Add address’ in your account or are you adding your TRNC address as you are ordering. I don’t know whether it will make a difference or not but may be worth a try.
Also the item you are ordering is it sold and fulfilled by Amazon. If it’s through a 3rd party seller that may be a problem.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I am trying to add an address under "Add address" and that's where it fails. I will keep at it because it is going to end up being my own stupidity in the end - that's the way things are. I will start all over again but I have tried to remove the item from the basket following their instructions as well - that don't work either - this is going to be a basic error on my behalf. I am logged into Amazon.co.uk so it should be ok, I have ordered stuff from TRNC for delivery to a UK address and a RoC PO Box as well, no problem. Thanks for all the help if I get it sorted I will let you know if not then look in CT this weekend for a suspected suicide - lol.

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

waddo wrote:Tried that - failed! Put in +90533 etc as that is the number that Amazon actually use to send me my login code and that is fine. But when I use it as the telephone number of the address - problem, it won't work - beginning to lose heart now - lol. Tried without spaces tried it like this - 09 0533 0000000 & +9 0533 0000000 & +90533 0000000 & +90 533 0000000 & +90 533 000 0000 & any other combination I could think of - IT HATES ME!!!

if i recall + only works with mobile networks try 0090 533 xxx
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Tried that - failed - lol. Must be me. Thanks anyway.

PortisheadScouser
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Waddo
IT'S NOT YOU!
I've have just like you in the last few minutes tried to set up a new address here in Girne, and likewise Amazon keeps refusing my 0533 number (like you I have also tried every possible combination).
So I contacted Amazon Customer Services via on line chat and explained the problem, they then told me to start again whilst they were on line with me in the chat.
It again failed -- to which their reply was; you must have a problem so try again latter!
If you or anyone does crack the problem and manage to enter a TRNC phone number I'd be interested to know how to do it.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

There was a computer glitch in the end. Not at my end I am happy to say. I have spent over 30 minutes on the phone with Amazon - they phoned me - sorting it all out and getting a new address registered with them as well. So now I will wait to see if my order actually arrives here - lol. Thanks for all the help people and I advise anyone who has problems with orders to contact them on "Chat" and if that fails get them to give you a ring, they could not be more helpful.

PortisheadScouser
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Waddo
Before I phone Amazon, what did you enter for your phone number because after seeing your successful post, I've just tried again and got the same TRNC telephone number refusal.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Waddo,
When your item is dispatched you should be able to track it through your Amazon account.
When it arrives in TRNC, courier will ring you to make sure you will be around. Each package I have received does have to be signed for.
The fact it’s trackable means it is unlikely to go missing as it’s scanned all the way.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Waddo
Forgot to mention, keep an eye out for a text from courier. Depending on which courier is used you may get a text with a customs type form, don't panic it’s straight forward Name Address, Phone And passport details and what the item is, send it back filled in I did it by sending email copy back to them.
When package is delivered have your passport ready as courier will double check details.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I would be very interested to see if stuff ordered actually arrives. If it is sent tracked by courier then there really is no need to faff about with a PO Box in the South and all that entails is there?

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

One thing you need to check is, that the courier will deliver to you. In the past I have had quite a few things bought from Amazon. You had to make sure you had your order delivery address correct and it then would tell you if it delivered to TRNC or not. If it was not a big item they used the postal service and all was well, if a little slow. Now it seems to be entirely by courier and they are not interested to deliver anywhere a little bit out of the way. Last time the goods got as far as Lefkosa. I had given a friends address as delivery address (Dipkarpaz is definitely not on their map), they phoned me and said could the friend come and collect from their office. I phoned the Istanbul office and told them, that they were too lazy to even deliver anywhere in Lefkosa. That did the trick and then they did deliver. I don't know if it's any better in Girne or if they will deliver to Magusa, when we move there. At least the post delivered, even if it took 3 or 4 weeks, but we are totally disillusioned with couriers

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I did not phone Amazon! I contacted them via Chat and they phoned me using my Amazon registered TRNC phone number - exactly the same phone number that was refused when trying to order! In the end the very helpful lady at Amazon did it all at her end of the phone and the order was accepted. I still wait for dispatch details to arrive and will take it from there. The post & packing cost £20 by the way so for that they had better deliver my Black & Decker paint sprayer to my door - lol. If it works - if - then I will try ordering something else smaller and see what the post & packing is then. Seems very expensive to and wish I had sent it to my RoC PO Box instead. Live and learn.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Waddo,
Did amazon knock off the UK vat.

wjms
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Post by wjms »

Tried yesterday on the German Amazon site. Only way I could get my phone number to work was by omitting the first zero and not putting +90 or similar. E.g. 5488xxxxxx

Must have worked because I got a text message from DHL Turkey with details of tracking number etc. Package currently clearing customs at Istanbul. Will be surprised if it gets here by Monday which is the estimated delivery date.

Amazon (de) deducted the German VAT, did cost a few euros more for delivery charges and a customs duty fee.

Will report if/when package arrives.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Yes, UK vat was taken off but something else - import fees deposit - was added on. Still not received notification of dispatch!

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Waddo,
Just out of interest how much do you think approximately the item you are having delivered to TRNC would have cost delivered to south.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Could not say on that particular item but as an example - a child's car seat costing £85.00 had a delivery charge to the North of £46.00 but was sent to the South PO box for a charge of £6.90 - a considerable difference as it was a EU country to EU country cost. But then we are leaving the EU soon so Amazon delivery prices will go up to the South as well - back to the Golden days - lol.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

The delivery charge must be down to volume and weight.
I have had a box of items on one delivery to the value of a couple of hundred £ and paid about £20 to £25.
The box size being about 12 inch x 12 inch.x 8 inch high.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

waddo wrote:... it was a EU country to EU country cost. But then we are leaving the EU soon so Amazon delivery prices will go up to the South as well ....
Think about it - if, in the uncertain future, you get stuff delivered from an Amazon supplier in the EU to your ROC PO box, nothing will have changed!

Just don't specify Amazon.co.uk!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Mr Chinnery wrote:Your address should look something like this,-

Name Joe soap
Address 129, Baker Sokak
Village name if applicable Edremit
Area. Ie. Karalanoglu
Mersin 10.
Post code. 124367
Country. Turkey
Phone number. 0542 etc

Just going to give this a try but where do I find our postcode please? Quick Google comes up with 99370. Is that right? In any event I only have a UK phone and they won't accept that number no matter how I put it in.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

The end of the Amazon tale. My item has sat in the customs at Turkey since the 3rd of September - and it is still there. After a short time the customs moved it to temporary holding where, by law, it can stay for 20 days. Today I got a text all in Turkish, from UPS to tell me that my item is still there and if I want to get it out then I have to pay them 200TL to get it out of temporary storage and back into main customs. Then I will have to pay the customs duty on the item as well and have to provide proof that it is mine. I have not answered them and am not going to as I told Amazon UK the whole story around the 15th of Sept and they canceled the order and refunded all the money paid.

Will I try to get anything from Amazon delivered here again - NO!

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

Lorraine at Firstcall property management is a DHL agent. It may be worth talking to her.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”