Anyone registered/paid duty on non TRNC phone lately?

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Anyone registered/paid duty on non TRNC phone lately?

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Hi I need a new phone & would like to buy one here but they never have any staff in the Turkcell shop & the Lemar kiosk did not have the one I want.
Has anyone bought one from UK or South recently & gone through the registration/import duty process please?
I bought my friend a 'holiday Sim' to use while she was here & she thought that Turkcell registered it over the phone but she did not know for sure.

aerhere
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Anyone registered/paid duty on non TRNC phone lately?

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by aerhere »

Try Super-cyprus.com in Nicosia, very helpful and efficient, competitively priced phones and TRNC registration completed, nothing further to do. They transferred all apps and data over from old phones for us, we were thrilled with purchase and service received. Give them a call 0392 2280724 of look at their webpage.

(

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thanks for the tip I will have a look at them, must admit I never think of going to Lefkosa for anything except drinking glasses from Pasabache!

zanky
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by zanky »

Hello, yes registered one a couple of weeks, its still in the same place but they have speeded ip the process. Of course there are not masses of students here at the moment so it was very quick. They do stop taking more at 11am so go early. We came back and paid the tax at the New Harbour.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

aerhere, what a great set up. Wish I'd know about it a while back. Trouble is, do they sell phone away from the norm sold here? I don't like iPhones or Samsung. Thanks.

aerhere
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by aerhere »

If you look at their web site they list the current stock. Or give the chap a call, lovely person can't remember his name but we have always found him very helpful and speaks English. They also have a brilliant repair shop.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Hi Zanky, What phone did you register recently and how much did it cost?

Mike and Sue
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mike and Sue »

I bought over a Samsung S9 plus from the UK and paid 900 lira tax, I think they are over £1000 here, easy process ,

DenizIsmail
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by DenizIsmail »

I tried to register a TRNC phone which my sister who lives in TRNC bought for me. I went along to a phone shop in Girne and was told that the registration only last 3 months and has to be renewed each time I visit TRNC ? Is this correct ?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

DenizIsmail wrote:I tried to register a TRNC phone which my sister who lives in TRNC bought for me. I went along to a phone shop in Girne and was told that the registration only last 3 months and has to be renewed each time I visit TRNC ? Is this correct ?
I suspect that this is a different issue altogether, rather than the need to register phones bought outwith the TRNC and pay customs duty.
A phone bought in TRNC should already be registered, as customs duty already paid on it (am referring to shop bought here). If you don't use your TRNC sim card for 90 days it will become inactive, so therefore, when you come back here, you will need to go into a phone shop to have the sim card re-activated. Sending a text near to the end of the 90 day period, should keep the sim card active, provided that you have enough credit on your phone.

I've got a UK sim card which will stop working if I don't use it for 180 days. I've got a reminder on my calendar to send a text message nearing the end of that period, unless I happen to use the phone prior to that, then will have to work out when the next 180 days is up.

Terri299
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Terri299 »

The 3 months is the life of the credit if you don't top up, the sim remains active longer, 10 months I think. We just top up each time we come and it reactivates the phone and adds on the credit from before. If it's a data sim that only has a 3 month life if the sim if not used, data lasts a month, unless you use it up first

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”