General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

carobmill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Poor service from Turkish Airlines

•   Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

Post by carobmill »

Having always had great experiences with Turkish Airlines, it was always our first choice, but never again. At the last minute, literally as we were boarding the plane in London, we were told that due to a booking error (theirs, not ours) we had to pay an extra £681 or have our luggage offloaded and our seats cancelled. We felt like we'd been mugged. Has anyone else had this experience?
We thought we were being loyal. It's Larnaca for us from now on.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Poor service from Turkish Airlines

•   Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

That is outrageous... Our friend has just arrived via THY too and they lost part of his wheelchair en-route - all he got was a shrug of the shoulders!

WotNoDeeds
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

Post by WotNoDeeds »

What an awful experience. Shame on Turkish Airlines.

You mention flying from Larnaca in future.
I have to say that we have flown many times with BA from Larnaca over the years and they are not the airline they were though their prices have gone down and we think they are more like a budget airline now. They no longer serve food (you can buy M & S food on board if they don't run out!). They do fly into Heathrow and they are nearly always on time.You also have to factor in the price of cab to Larnaca as well which is considerably more than one to Ercan

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

So what was the £681 for? What was the booking error? Where you approached with this at the gate or check in?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

A quick email to the Daily Mail Travel guru or the BBC travel fellow would seem appropriate. Companies are not keen on bad media publicity, particularly when it's viewed by millions.

Lovelife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Lovelife »

I would use their 'contact us' page, complain and ask for an explanation. As it was their fault they should give you a satisfactory answer.

I was in the departure gate in Istanbul last year and a lady ( T,A. ground staff) came up to me and asked if I was prepared to catch the next flight to the UK, they would have put me up in a hotel and given me compensation (cannot remember the amount) I said I was a business class passenger and was this overbooked? she apologised and moved on, I presume from that , that economy was overbooked.

LL

Fesenjan123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Fesenjan123 »

We stopped flying from Ercan some time ago. Always use Larnaca now and much prefer it. It may be a bit further to drive to but you gain more time back by not sitting on the Tarmac at Istanbul for the best part of an hour. Norwegian Airlines are excellent - prompt and efficient with free wifi during the flight. BA are ok but the legroom is much less so you are packed in like sardines. I try to avoid Easyjet though as they have a huge number of delays and have in fact just been voted the airline with the highest number of delayed flights.
I imagine more people will switch to Larnaca after the ban on laptops in the cabin on Turkish flights, and being forced to get off the plane at Istanbul.

aripointer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

Post by aripointer »

I disagree Fresenjan123 I have flown with EasyJet approx. 6 return flights per annum for many years. Either into LCA or PFO. If the flight has been delayed leaving LGW it has always made up time. My last trip back to the UK from LCA arrived at LGW half an hour ahead of schedule. What you must factor in is the EJ aircraft are very modern, seating is very good, food reasonable and the flight prices are very good. Also thee flights per day to either LCA or PFO

I cannot comment on Norwegian all I can say the outward leg from LGW to LCA the price is very cheap. You get stung on the price hike on the return leg from LCA. I also think the flights are not daily?

It is no secret BA have been trialling the Low cost airline model for some years especially on the LGW- LCA /PFO route. The early morning cooked breakfast was stopped some three years ago and replaced with a filled croissant and a sweet snack biscuit. In the summer BA run three flights per day + to either LCA or PFO.

A word of warning regarding TA. As it is not a EU airline To try and get compensation for delayed flights, missed connections and lost luggage is virtually impossible. Yes I have had the usual shrug with missed connections and lost luggage. How they got airline of the year for 5 years on the trot. God only knows?
I am afraid it is LCA or PFO for me all the time.
AP

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Dear Aripointer,

For lost or delayed luggage you can use the IATA - Montreal Convention 1999. Atlasjet didn't transfer my bag at Istanbul en route to Luton. You can buy essential clothing and toiletries and they have to re-reimburse you.

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

We have flown Birmingham - Istanbul - Ercan and back for the last 7 yrs and never had a problem, nice aircraft decent food and always on time...
Luck of the draw I suppose

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

We fly Manchester Ercan never had a problem in 12 years, also fly with them for Turkey holidays flying to Izmir or Dalaman change to domestic flights at Istanbul but always had good connections.

pedmoreapollo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

Post by pedmoreapollo »

Woodspeckie,
We are flying from Manchester to Ercan on Sunday on a package holiday. Are you informed at Istanbul what gate you will need for the transfer flight? Is there a fast bag drop for Turkish at Manchester?
Thanks

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Fesenjan123 wrote:. Norwegian Airlines are excellent - prompt and efficient with free wifi during the flight.l.
I agree Norwegian are excellent, however it looks as though they may be dropping the Gatwick/Larnaca route unfortunately, at least during the winter which leaves us relying on Easy jet. I won't travel through Turkey as my husband requires special assistance and I couldn't cope with the stress of changing planes.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

More details needed about the original post?

Charlotte55
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Charlotte55 »

What was the charge for then

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

pedmoreapollo wrote:Woodspeckie,
We are flying from Manchester to Ercan on Sunday on a package holiday. Are you informed at Istanbul what gate you will need for the transfer flight? Is there a fast bag drop for Turkish at Manchester?
Thanks
If you check in on line 24 hrs before flight you can print your boarding a cards the take luggage to drop off point near the check in desks. At Istanbul you are directed to the transit to Ercan your boarding card for Ercan are checked as you go through, no passport control.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

I asked earlier about the charges but no answer forthcoming.

eastendjoker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

Post by eastendjoker »

managed to get a couple of £36 singles from Luton to Larnaca in June with blue air , im quietly confident everything will be ok

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Went LCA to LGW with Thomas Cook last Wednesday for £31
The return journey was a bit more tho'... - £48

niceone
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

Post by niceone »

turtle wrote:We have flown Birmingham - Istanbul - Ercan and back for the last 7 yrs and never had a problem, nice aircraft decent food and always on time...
Same route we take
We flew to the south when we found cheap flights, big mistake
Our luggage did not arrive, we had to go back the next day to get them, they had put labels on our luggage saying "occupied area" it was a very bad experience
Turkish Airlines everytime for us

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Complain using resolver.com found it works most times. It sends your complaint to right person

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

niceone wrote:
turtle wrote:We have flown Birmingham - Istanbul - Ercan and back for the last 7 yrs and never had a problem, nice aircraft decent food and always on time...
Same route we take
Our luggage did not arrive, we had to go back the next day to get them, they had put labels on our luggage saying "occupied area" it was a very bad experience
As you were travelling from the UK to the south how did they know the final destination for your bags was going to be the TRNC?

Lodger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Lodger »

Groucho wrote:
niceone wrote:
Same route we take
As you were travelling from the UK to the south how did they know the final destination for your bags was going to be the TRNC?
Because they must have written it on their baggage tags. What can you expect flying into a Greek airport with a Turkish address on? It's a wonder they ever got them at all. Just put a name and a mobile number on.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

Only done Larnaca flight once, a lady was going along the people collecting luggage with a clipboard and was asking where their final destination was, we refused to answer.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

So, if the mobile is an 0900 start, the Hermes staff will not identify that with "the occupied zone" then?

carobmill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

Post by carobmill »

Since you ask - sorry it's a bit complicated, don't want to bore people - but here's what happened. We booked a return flight from Ercan to U.K., going in January and returning in March. About a month before our initial flight we decided we'd like to stay here another week, so we went to the Turkish Airlines office in Lefkosa and asked if we could change the outward flight, but still return on the same day. We were told unequivocally that we could do so upon payment of an extra £204, which we decided was ok. So we paid. We were specifically told our return flight was still valid.
Arriving at Gatwick in March, we checked in, went through to the departure lounge, checked in at the gate, and waited for boarding. Literally as we were about to step on the plane, we were told our booking had been cancelled and we had to pay an extra £681, or our luggage would be offloaded and we would be denied boarding. Of course we had no choice but to pay. Which meant our economy return ticket cost us a total of about £1,250. What a bargain! Complaints to customer services have fallen on deaf ears, who said it was our fault, despite their sales clerk assuring us it was ok. We simply wouldn't have changed our ticket if we had been told otherwise - there was no pressing need for us to do so. So there we are.

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

Did you not print out your E-tickets? Or boarding passes?

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

niceone wrote:
Same route we take
Only flown into Larnaca twice, both with Monarch......never again !

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Flew BA Heathrow to Larnaca in March. One of our suitcases went astray. We reported it missing and had to state we were staying 'in the north' which as said by others they said was 'in the occupied area' but they didn't make a fuss about it. The suitcase was still at Heathrow, Flown over the next day and Swissport put the case in a taxi and sent it to the border (Metehan at our request). We had to cross the border to meet the taxi. All fine.

niceone
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Post by niceone »

Same route we take
Turkish Airlines everytime for us[/quote]

As you were travelling from the UK to the south how did they know the final destination for your bags was going to be the TRNC?[/quote]

Because they must have written it on their baggage tags. What can you expect flying into a Greek airport with a Turkish address on? It's a wonder they ever got them at all. Just put a name and a mobile number on.[/quote]

Why would you assume we would do something so stupid? There was no address on our luggage. What actually happened was they asked us where we were staying as they deliver missing luggage, I had to tell them we were in the north

mermaidsexist
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

Post by mermaidsexist »

sorry but this sounds strange and confusing to me, you've given a different explanation from what you first said. surely you should have checked in online before checking in at the airport or had tickets valid for travel? this isn't just the airlines fault by the sounds of it. you say about not wanting to bore people with the details but in all fairness if you post about an airline as big as TA being of poor service, then you need to explain why so people can understand the situation.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”