General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

East of Girne road widening

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Sallywebstersnipples »

I have seen this mentioned on here, will this be following the existing road or a new by pass style similar to the one west of town. Any maps available? Thanks in advance.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: East of Girne road widening

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

No idea but I love your forum nametag. Makes me think I should use my full name - FullFrontalman

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

According to the report in CT it is going to follow the existing road - that is something I really hope I live to see - but as I travel the existing road on a daily basis, I can not see how they can fit in another two lanes plus a carriageway divider in the amount of space available unless they knock down loads of buildings.
However, I have seen a single part of the "Master Plan" map that puts a new "Dual Carriageway" in behind Storemax and comes out onto the existing road just before China Bazaar. I say "Single Part" because that is all I have managed to see yet, apparently anyone who owns land/property on the route of this new dual carriageway has been sent their part of the map so they know what "Might" happen to their little bit of it. My TC friend owns a section of land where the new single part will go and we can see it will pass behind both Storemax and Paralik before coming out on the existing stretch towards Erdener Market. Where it comes from is anybody's guess and despite hours spent on Google Earth we have yet to form any "sensible" opinion.
It is in the lap of the God's as far as we can tell and the bit of map he has may already have been superseded with yet another "Master Plan", best guess is that we will all find out once the work starts and the empty coke bottles on garden canes make an appearance to inform us that there are new holes in the roads.
If I find out any more definitive information I will gladly post it.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

CatalkoyChris
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by CatalkoyChris »

I hope it looks similar to what they have done between Bogaz and Gazimussa (spelling). Whilst not perfect it does improve things for walkers and cyclists.
"Two heads are better than one!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Cheers Waddo. I ask as we are looking at buying a property coast side of the main road along by Shayna Beach. Although the property is nearer the sea than the road there is not a lot of built property between us and the road and Doris & I don't fancy looking out on to a dual carriageway whilst taking ones morning cuppa.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Plus a row of new hotels or a least three that are being built right next to Shayna so construction traffic night and day. The heavy lorries have already almost destroyed the road to Shayna.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Sallywebstersnipples, can only go on what has been reported so far BUT, it looks like the "New" road will go from Girne - following the existing road - all the way over the mountains (unless it goes through the much talked about tunnel under the mountains - take that with a pinch of salt) along past the turning off to Esentepe and down to the roundabout on the main road from Lefcosia to Famagusta. Given that it comes true then the first section of 9km will be from Girne out to the Arapkoy turning on the mountain road. That section will travel right along the existing road I would assume and that means straight past your front door.
If the builders had any sense it would start at the Arapkoy turning as the gravel trucks etc would have the least distance to travel and logically it would cause less disruption to traffic as they could use one side of the new road whilst leaving the old road still open for business - but this is Cyprus and logic is sadly lacking.
Not trying to dampen any spirits but I would be very careful where I purchased these days as things change at the drop of a hat and if "logic" actually happened the sea side of the existing road may find it difficult for access whilst building takes place! Head for the hills would be my only thought but even then I would be careful because you never know what the next lot of road planning staff will do once the elections have taken place.
I have no idea where you could view a complete map of the "proposed" new road but there must be one somewhere!!!

Good luck.

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I have heard that the route map got lost when the head of "planning" accidently threw away the fag packet the plan was written on. Any truth in this?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Don't think so as I have seen the single part of the overall plan - and it was certainly not written on a fag packet! Keep in mind that Turkey is actually funding this road so it will go where THEY want it to go, in the same manner as the main water pipes have gone, because if TRNC say's no to the route then there will be no money to spend on it!
I honestly do look forward to this new road because without it my trip from Catalkoy to Girne will mean setting off at around 05:00 each morning to make sure I get there by 09:00 in time to join the BIG traffic jam at the main Lefcosia traffic island - and that will happen in less than 3 years at current rates of vehicle increase, based on the last 10 years of watching it grow! I would buy a bike around now but will be too old to cycle by the time I really need it - lol.

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Waldo: To be fair to the Authorities they are putting in the dual carriage before the bulk of expansion east is done where as my local 2 authorities here in the UK has in the last few years granted planning permission for 35k+ new homes without announcing any upgrading of the surrounding A roads or dual carriageways which are chocker now.

Anyway, back to my original thread, please let me know if you hear any more news.

Thanks SWN

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

SWN, please be kind - the kind and informative gentleman is not (as far as I am aware!) related or connected to any of the examples here or even such famous personages as Ralph Waldo Emerson or Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones (two separate people), but is (self-) entitled waddo.....
I've noted that once or twice previously, he has been mis-named, but has born it with fortitude.....

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Bloody spell check!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Worry not! Spell check won't pick it up because "Waldo" actually exists and is a real name - sad to say, so doe's Waddo and now having found it, I may just change my handle - lol. Apologies to anyone who is upset by the following but they are not my words - honest!!! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=waddo

Now you know why I may change my handle after all - lol.

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Nice!

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion