Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

george olly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Car Insurance, Tax etc

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by george olly »

Hi Everone

We are swallows, so not up to speed on all the car stuff so any advice would be most helpful. I'm buying a used car from a friend but need to know how to go about getting insurance and tax. Also, how long can I drive using my UK licence before getting a local licence and how do I go about getting a licence for both myself and my wife. Help on these topics and any associated 'things to know' would be much appreciated. We arrive back in Cyprus on 23/3/17

Regards
George

gary&shirley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Car Insurance, Tax etc

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by gary&shirley »

Hi, I think because you are swallows the rules are rather complex, so to make things easier lets say you live here full time, if the vehicle needs an MOT and tax take it to Erderner Garage in Ozankoy as they will do all required to make it legal then go to the driving licence office in Lefcosia and purchase a Licence for so many years, after the initial licence is issued you can renew in Girne, insurance is available via many outlets.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

When you purchase the car, you have to fill in a form from the car tax office and take to lefkosa, the muhtar has to sign it too
Once in your name you insure it via any signorta agent and can tax it in girne when due, a lot use banks or daghil.

Mot is done on reg and you have to check this via websites or a visit to the tax office, even if done last year does not necessarily mean its ok for 3 years.

Driving licence , they say the law is if you stay here more than 90 days in one year you need a trnc driving licence but many still drive on their uk licence
If over 60 its simple, muhtar's letter etc but under 60 you require residency in the temporary category before applying.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Just to add to snd1966s post.
Friends of ours, who are swallows, were told that if you own property here then you must have a TRNC driving licence.

george olly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by george olly »

Hi Everyone

Many thanks for the advice, most helpful. In Cyprus next week and will let you know how I get on.

Regards
George

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Panchocat wrote:Just to add to snd1966s post.
Friends of ours, who are swallows, were told that if you own property here then you must have a TRNC driving licence.
So - I've bought a place last year; we're there twice a year for a total of about 4 months - we don't own but only hire a car. I have seen elsewhere that if you are driving more than a total of 90 days per year (no mention of owning property), a TRNC licence is required ...
...so, as my son also is with us for a total of less than 90 days per year, should I get him to drive while he is here, while I take up the rest - which will then also be less than 90 days per year....
(I should have been a lawyer... )

MoonageDaydream
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoonageDaydream »

I would suggest you DO get a TRNC driving licence if you;'re here for over 90 days. There are a lot of Police roadside checks, and sometimes they will stop every car and do a document check. Also there is a question mark over your insurance if you drive on a UK licence over 90 days, and you really don't want to find out you have a problem after you've been involved in an accident.

The procedure is relatively straightforward, and you can get a licence for, 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. (10 years is far cheaper per annum, and once you've got it you can forget about renewals for ages).

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”