General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

list of laws

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Can anyone direct me to an online list of the laws that exists in TRNC?

thanks for any help

frugal

fatouche
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: list of laws

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by fatouche »

The people in authority don't know about their own laws and interpret them differently.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I was informed years ago that there are laws and there are laws. There are laws that are passed by the Government and there are laws that are passed by the Government and then Gazetted and until the latter occurs they are not put into force. Fatouche is correct, that is where the fun and games begins. Whether they are enforced and then interpreted is another matter entirely (or in masses of cases, just ignored) I hope you live long enough to seek what you're looking for, I'm sure there must be some Government Department on the web that can help you in your quest.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Laws in this country only apply to foreigners and non cousins.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Then only if they are in favour of the Cypriots

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I'm sure frugal90 was asking for a reasonably straight answer, albeit also agree with messages 4 and 5!

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

frugal90 wrote:Can anyone direct me to an online list of the laws that exists in TRNC?

thanks for any help

frugal

Here's a decent place to start.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... ler.net%2F

There will be Statute Law which is made by the Govt and then Common Law which is made by the Courts.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

You could start here: http://www.mahkemeler.net/cgi-bin/elekt ... h-letter=A

That is the TRNC Courts official web site - hours of fun to be had trying to figure them out but some are in English as well. Good luck.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

http://www.embargoed.org/downloads/TRNC ... tution.pdf Makes interesting reading. According to official publicity the constitution and legislature of the TRNC is based on the British model, "except for some local differences"! Dont forget also local authority by laws. Legislation should be published inthe official Gazette.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

thanks all

I appreciate that

frugal

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I have been searching for the TRNC Official Gazettee - without success - probably due to my own incompetence! If anyone does find it I should be grateful if they could post here and let us know!

On the other hand if frugal needs to know about a specific law or area of legislation it might be a lot quicker to search for it direct, rather than through a whole batch of legislation.

Do bear in mind without joking that some of the laws will apply to Citizens, but not expats, and vice versa!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Apologies for earlier post, read RR's last post and became confused as I had given the URL for the law courts - now see error of ways and this is the correct URL that will allow you to find any law within the TRNC:

http://www.mahkemeler.net/cgi-bin/default.aspx

As you would expect, it is all in Turkish - just because the majority of laws are based on the British system does not mean that they have to be written in English - there are however a lot in English as well. If you click on the tab "Yasalar", go to the bottom of the drop down list and click for the English version. Then select the letter corresponding to the subject you are interested in and search on! It is not easy but if you are truly interested in the law here then you will find what you are looking for in either English or Turkish (with the aid of translation of your choice).

Good hunting.

RR, I have the URL of the TRNC Official Gazettee but sadly it is on another PC that is currently not in working order. As soon as I repair it I will search and let you know, if you have not found it yourself in the meantime.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks Waddo . I would be interested to see Gazettee - no rush really just curiosity.. I think the laws were originally in English based on the Brititish constitution dated from Cyprus being part of the Empire and most were adopted to the (then Republic of Cyprus) in 1960 and translated into both Greek and Turkish. Presumably post 1974 the TRNC decided it was easiest for its citizens to adopt the existing laws of the Island! Since then there have been many changes in Cyprus, the UK and the world , and laws may have beenchanged or new ones introduced, but sometimes they followed the UK. In the 1990s for instance to my experienced th wearing of seat belts in towns was introduced and so was Value Added TAx.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Personally, I loved the new law they brought out in the RoC about the wearing of helmets when riding a motorcycle. They missed out the essential word "Head" and lots of people got away with court cases because they were wearing the helmet on their arms!!! Law has since been changed but it did take a while! The main reason that guys gave for not wearing the helmet on their heads - it ruined their hairstyle!!! I always remember my old man saying to me "Got a ten bob head - wear a ten bob helmet" and always spent as much as I could afford on my helmets - waste of money my wife says, nothing inside to protect - lol.

Will get the gazette for you but may take time - sorry.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks Waddo - problem yok!

Meanwhile: commenting on thread above: quotation from latest episode of "The Durrells" re a Court action:

"This is Corfu just about anything can happen"

Response:

"Isn't that why we like it here?!" !!!!

For" Corfu" substitute "Cyprus"?!

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Quote: "This is Corfu just about anything can happen"

"Response:

"Isn't that why we like it here?!" !!!!

For" Corfu" substitute "Cyprus"?!"

My answer to that, a simple "No!'

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Then my question has to be: "Knowing what it was like before you came here, why come?"

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Let us not start another if those "why did't you do you find about the country before you came here " arguments or we will have the mods closing yet another thread! I do sometimes wonder where some people got the idea that it was little England
by sea, but there are also those of us who did do our homework - even knew the place - in advance but find that what we could cope with and amused us in comparative youth has changed with increased age and or loss of health and/or money (not necessarily the fault of N. Cyprus) has taken the gilt off the gingerbread and the edge off our senses of humour!

Did you manage to find what you were looking for frugal? and are you going to publish a rough guide to the laws of the TRNC or a competition to find the silliest one?

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”