General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: New system at crossing points

•   Message 51 of 74 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Now I found this interesting from the http://www.gov.uk website: "Turkish visit visas issued on arrival are valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period.", also this bit, "If you plan to remain in Turkey for a period of more than 90 days, you should either apply for a longer stay visa before you travel, or get a residence permit from the local authorities in Turkey before your 90 day stay has elapsed. If you intend to work in Turkey, ensure you have the correct permits. More information is available from the Turkish Ministry of the Interior. If you don’t abide by the terms of your visa or permit, you may be fined, deported and banned from re-entering the country.", now not saying that the TRNC would follow Turkey at all, but how simple it would be to just adapt the current law on aliens visiting to read the same. Then how would you plan on staying here long term - by "flitting" North/South/North then? In any case, why should you be issued with a bit of paper to remind you how long you have stayed, you already know the law says it is a maximum limit of 90 days continuous, or you should! The only way it should cause confusion is for those in the minority group that do not have residency stamps in their passports, for those who have stamps then there should be no change at all apart from not having to bother with the silly bit of white paper.

Going South tomorrow for a night stop in Paphos with friends so will know a bit more by this time on Wednesday anyway.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 52 of 74 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

scubadubaqueen wrote:Posh,
Giving anything less than 90 Days without the white visa slip would be unworkable, and besides I sometimes stay over in the RoC and plan to do so more frequently in the future. So having 90 days coming North whenever, will be pretty much the same as an unrestricted "WELCOME" instead of feeling tense or getting the Spanish inquisition at the TC Border. We all spend money here and lots of it on property, schools, cars, shops, restaurants, and some of us even encourage other visitors to come and spend money as well, further adding to the local economy. We should be welcomed rather than driven out! And if the 90 day visa no white slip is correct, that certainly is a confidence boosting measure, and will be welcomed by many.

Not unworkable at all. You cross for a day....you return same day. Passport scanned as normal.....normally you get 90 days on arrival in TRNC but the official on duty notes you have crossed for the day or only a few minutes/hours. He notes on the computer max stay 30 days, tells you that you only have 30 days and lets you thro. He/she has logged on computer that its 30 days, its up to you to either remember, write it down or set a reminder on your mobile. The only difference is you dont have a bit of paper saying 90 days, 60 days, 15 days or whatever. Staying in excess of 90 days will attract a fine.....but reckon that staying in excess of whatever amount of days you are given will also attract a fine......should the officials choose to interpret the ruling this way.

As for being made welcome, spending money etc etc.......thats not part of the regulations.....how much you spend in the TRNC is your own decision.

We can all interpret what is experienced at the crossing point or we read on this forum in our own way and of course we want it to work in our favour, however to avoid all this the new regulations need to be made clear to all. At the moment it is far from clear.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 53 of 74 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:Now I found this interesting from the http://www.gov.uk website: "Turkish visit visas issued on arrival are valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period.", also this bit, "If you plan to remain in Turkey for a period of more than 90 days, you should either apply for a longer stay visa before you travel, or get a residence permit from the local authorities in Turkey before your 90 day stay has elapsed. If you intend to work in Turkey, ensure you have the correct permits. More information is available from the Turkish Ministry of the Interior. If you don’t abide by the terms of your visa or permit, you may be fined, deported and banned from re-entering the country.", now not saying that the TRNC would follow Turkey at all, but how simple it would be to just adapt the current law on aliens visiting to read the same. Then how would you plan on staying here long term - by "flitting" North/South/North then? In any case, why should you be issued with a bit of paper to remind you how long you have stayed, you already know the law says it is a maximum limit of 90 days continuous, or you should! The only way it should cause confusion is for those in the minority group that do not have residency stamps in their passports, for those who have stamps then there should be no change at all apart from not having to bother with the silly bit of white paper.

Going South tomorrow for a night stop in Paphos with friends so will know a bit more by this time on
Wednesday anyway.

Very interesting and makes perfect sense. The individual should know the rules, so no reason for a bit of paper. I reckpn you may have found what the TRNC may well be trying to copy, but of course at the moment they are making a bit of a hash of it.

We have started the procees and will be continuing down the route of getting our 90 day visa extended so as not to have any uncertainty and remain legal as things currently stand.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 54 of 74 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I do not think that the TRNC will do very much in the way of change and virtually nothing in the way of following what is already law in Turkey - not because our current regime is not that friendly with Turkey but because I believe they feel that the TRNC will shortly be recognized and therefore become part of the EU fully. When/if that happens the rules are already in place and make it simple for everyone to fall in line. Of course if the talks fail then nothing has changed and the 200 year supply of now useless white paper can be brought back into use again - zero loss!

Meanwhile - your guess is as good as anyone's and it still remains a delightfully "suck it and see" country to live in.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 55 of 74 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

PoshinDevon wrote:
scubadubaqueen wrote:Posh,
Giving anything less than 90 Days without the white visa slip would be unworkable, and besides I sometimes stay over in the RoC and plan to do so more frequently in the future. So having 90 days coming North whenever, will be pretty much the same as an unrestricted "WELCOME" instead of feeling tense or getting the Spanish inquisition at the TC Border. We all spend money here and lots of it on property, schools, cars, shops, restaurants, and some of us even encourage other visitors to come and spend money as well, further adding to the local economy. We should be welcomed rather than driven out! And if the 90 day visa no white slip is correct, that certainly is a confidence boosting measure, and will be welcomed by many.

Not unworkable at all. You cross for a day....you return same day. Passport scanned as normal.....normally you get 90 days on arrival in TRNC but the official on duty notes you have crossed for the day or only a few minutes/hours. He notes on the computer max stay 30 days, tells you that you only have 30 days and lets you thro. He/she has logged on computer that its 30 days, its up to you to either remember, write it down or set a reminder on your mobile. The only difference is you dont have a bit of paper saying 90 days, 60 days, 15 days or whatever. Staying in excess of 90 days will attract a fine.....but reckon that staying in excess of whatever amount of days you are given will also attract a fine......should the officials choose to interpret the ruling this way.

As for being made welcome, spending money etc etc.......thats not part of the regulations.....how much you spend in the TRNC is your own decision.

We can all interpret what is experienced at the crossing point or we read on this forum in our own way and of course we want it to work in our favour, however to avoid all this the new regulations need to be made clear to all. At the moment it is far from clear.
As this new measure is supposed to be a confidence building measure, and the notice in the window says (reportedly, as I haven't been over myself) that visas will be issued for 90 days, then I would assume that without a paper slip, stamped saying otherwise, that all would be granted 90 days. I see this as a welcome relaxing of red tape. Things have been pretty relaxed recently anyway, for over 60s anyway.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 56 of 74 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Frontalman.....whilst I would like to agree with you, I am not convinced at all that popping across the south at a crossing point would automatically gain another 90 days. To assume could be expensive!

For those over 60 whilst there appears to be some unwritten agreement that a visa extension is not required and possibly you no longer need to pop across the border....I may be wrong but not sure anyone has actually seen this in writing/law?

As for the under 60s....which is us, we know that max stay is 90 days and to stay longer you need to follow the rules and formally apply for an extension. The popping across the border could of course be done but by following the rules means we dont have the worry of suddenly being only granted maybe 30 days or 15 days or possibly even less. In addition taking this to the next stage, there are insurance implications when driving on a UK licence if you have not formally applied to extend your stay over 90 days. We believe you need to have a TRNC licence....which you can only get once you have received your extension to stay longer than 90 days. Who knows what the outcome may be if involved in an accident. I also cannot see the authorities giving up the money they receive for visa extension and driving licence applications.

Dont want to be a killjoy and some may like to live on the edge, we would rather relax and enjoy our stay without the worry.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 57 of 74 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Posh,

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that there is any linkage between 'Residency' (Visitor status stamp in passport) and eligiblity to apply for a TRNC driving licence.

The BRS Website states that you need: -

a) Passport bearing a residence stamp, a photocopy of photo page and permit
b) 2 passport size photos
c) Original and a photocopy of the national driving licence
d) Application form
e) Fee (depends on validity of licence – 2,3, or 5 years

BUT that if you do not have a residency stamp, "you will require a muktars letter" - simply to prove where you live, presumably...

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 58 of 74 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Keithcaley wrote:Posh,

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that there is any linkage between 'Residency' (Visitor status stamp in passport) and eligiblity to apply for a TRNC driving licence.

The BRS Website states that you need: -

a) Passport bearing a residence stamp, a photocopy of photo page and permit
b) 2 passport size photos
c) Original and a photocopy of the national driving licence
d) Application form
e) Fee (depends on validity of licence – 2,3, or 5 years

BUT that if you do not have a residency stamp, "you will require a muktars letter"
- simply to prove where you live, presumably...
Thanks for the above....good to know. We will be applying in the next week or so for TRNC driving licence so will ask the question re residency stamp/letter. Either way we understand it is needed once you go beyond 90 days.

Its great here!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 59 of 74 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Good to know you can get the driving licence with a muhtars letter....in the UK to renew your driving licence you do need a UK address. So maybe that is one thing that is easier/simpler? Posh in Devon we think its great here too.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 60 of 74 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

When working, I was once told by a customer at a high profile meeting that " I prefer things to be clear/black and white".... however despite this trait I do love the way things happen/dont happen out here....its taken awhile but we just try and go with the flow. Lets face it if it doesnt get sorted today, there is always tomorrow or next week.

Its what makes this place unique.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 61 of 74 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Just been through Metehan tonight gave passport to lovely policewoman sitting on a chair and watched as she gave it to a guy in the kiosk who stamped it as normal she wished me goodnight and off I went. Came back later and pulled up behind a Greek car 15 mins later still waiting Greek guy getting agitated lots of finger pointing from said Greek other three guys got out all started arguing with the policeman in the kiosk after another 10 minutes he let them though and off they stormed. I asked the policeman what was wrong, he said I,ve had a bad day with all this new stuff and thought I,d make someone else pay for it. I said good on you. And off I went with a smile.

ham on brown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 62 of 74 in Discussion

Post by ham on brown »

terry2366 wrote:Just been through Metehan tonight gave passport to lovely policewoman sitting on a chair and watched as she gave it to a guy in the kiosk who stamped it as normal she wished me goodnight and off I went. Came back later and pulled up behind a Greek car 15 mins later still waiting Greek guy getting agitated lots of finger pointing from said Greek other three guys got out all started arguing with the policeman in the kiosk after another 10 minutes he let them though and off they stormed. I asked the policeman what was wrong, he said I,ve had a bad day with all this new stuff and thought I,d make someone else pay for it. I said good on you. And off I went with a smile.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 63 of 74 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Oh dear!

So, when they go back across, and tell their mates at the checkpoint, on the GC side what happened, and they decide to retaliate, that will be the end of that.

Mile long queues on both sides.

They're like little tin gods, the lot of 'em - give 'em a bit of power, and they'll abuse it...

I hope that those of who who are still 'Charmed by the eccentricity of the place' will find it amusing when some Little Hitler decides to take his frustration out on you... - Just because he'd had a bad day, and because 'He can'...

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 64 of 74 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Keithcaley wrote:Oh dear!

So, when they go back across, and tell their mates at the checkpoint, on the GC side what happened, and they decide to retaliate, that will be the end of that.

Mile long queues on both sides.

They're like little tin gods, the lot of 'em - give 'em a bit of power, and they'll abuse it...

I hope that those of who who are still 'Charmed by the eccentricity of the place' will find it amusing when some Little Hitler decides to take his frustration out on you... - Just because he'd had a bad day, and because 'He can'...
Happens the world over...unfortunately.

There are plenty of "jobsworth" types in the UK and whilst sometimes it is very frustrating I just smile, shake my head and give the "unbelieveable" look.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 65 of 74 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Never get stamped again
So if you fly into the South and cross to the North no stamp either way but you are on the system
Fly into the North you are still stamped
I needed a report of ins and outs some years ago
Ercan and the North South crossings were on a different sheet indicating a different programme
Thus easily identifying the over stayers

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 66 of 74 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

I do not see it that way I,m afraid we were all waiting in the line these guys tried to jump the line and were told to wait in the car till it was their turn the rear seat passenger jumps out and starts shouting at the guy in the kiosk then they all got out and did the same. Hardly normal behaviour they bypassed the policeman outside and went directly to the guy on the computer. They all stunk of cheap aftershave and alcohol most likely off to a night club. Personally I think they were lucky not to be arrested. But then maybe that's what they were hoping for ???

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 67 of 74 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

TRNC have just anounced scanners for passports are to be installed to speed up the process
I hope they are not like the self service at Morrisons & B&Q they don't work properly on a windy day

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 68 of 74 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

terry2366 wrote:I do not see it that way I,m afraid we were all waiting in the line these guys tried to jump the line and were told to wait in the car till it was their turn the rear seat passenger jumps out and starts shouting at the guy in the kiosk then they all got out and did the same. Hardly normal behaviour they bypassed the policeman outside and went directly to the guy on the computer. They all stunk of cheap aftershave and alcohol most likely off to a night club. Personally I think they were lucky not to be arrested. But then maybe that's what they were hoping for ???
Fair enough, that wasn't quite how it came across the first time...

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 69 of 74 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

wanderer wrote:TRNC have just anounced scanners for passports are to be installed to speed up the process
I hope they are not like the self service at Morrisons & B&Q they don't work properly on a windy day
Passports scanned at Morrisons & B&Q?

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 70 of 74 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

UKIP policy passports need to be scanned by supermarkets

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 71 of 74 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Right just to try to get back on topic....crossed today at Bostanci to go to lovely Kako Petria for trout.....I digress......This side, nice police lady say on a chair came up to the car and took our passports, without the slips, to the desk....so no need to get out of the car.....oh and by the way for all the debaters about whether it is a border or not....big blue sign saying Bostanci Border Gate.....so clearly the officials here think that is what it is.....ooops I digress again....anyway, onward and upward to the Greek Cypriot checkpoint. They now have barriers and you have to get out of the car and take the passports...not all of you just one person, so actually the passports might not correspond with the folks in the car cos from where we were sitting they could not see. they spent at least 5 minutes scanning....I thought scanning was meant to be quick?....in the past they have just waved us through, but no probs if they are trying to tighten up security....ha ha....then coming back, again stopped by the GC side, passports scanned......then onto TC side, passports taken by chappie who was more interested in his mobile phone being charged, but handed them to another chappie who duly keyed them in. All in all, considering we were the only ones going over, pretty pathetic....would hate to go on a busy day......really do not see any benefit at all in removing the need for the bit of white paper.......it was acually the slowest we have ever been using that crossing.....but hey ho....this is Cyprus.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 72 of 74 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Crossed today at Metehan on way south. TRNC side, sat in car, passport offered and taken, scanned and given back and friendly farewell.drove to Greek side, passports offered but not taken just waved thro saying go go.

Back via Beyamudu crossing, stayed in car, passports offered and taken, checked, given back and waved on our way.

At no time at the TRNC checkpoint was any mention made of number of days given.... Presume 90 as normal.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 73 of 74 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Went South Tuesday, returned today, same procedure as Posh above - looks like it is coming together again, till it changes again.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 74 of 74 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”