General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Scruff dog
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re Gall Bladder operation

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Scruff dog »

has anyone had one here if so which hospital or Doctor any recommendations please

offshoredi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Re Gall Bladder operation

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by offshoredi »

I had gall bladder operation about 7 weeks ago here Dr Varoe at Kamiloglu Hospital it is down past HSBC Bank first right and on the right hand side. There is somebody that speaks English at reception

Scruff dog
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Scruff dog »

Did it all go ok? Was it keyhole? Did you come out same day and what was cost? Sorry to ask so many questions, need to make quick decision thanks

offshoredi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by offshoredi »

It was fine and yes keyhole. Went in at 2pm operation at 4.30pm was kept in 1 night got home the following day. Cost was just over £1000. Doctor very good staff lovely even if they cannot all speak English they had me up walking at 11 pm same night

Scruff dog
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Scruff dog »

Thank you very much that is very helpful

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

I went to Near East today to visit someone, not gall bladder I hasten to add but standard of hygiene was pretty poor. No hand washing prior to trying to put cannula for drip in, made worse by nurse wiping sweat from his brow I'm afraid I had to intervene and stop him until he had washed his hands. Tablets handed over being held in the palm of the nurses hand, no medicine glass or spoon. The patient had been there for 48hrs and had not been given any opportunity to wash face hands or anything else when I went to find out if this was possible staff were all at desk playing with mobile phones. I suppose I could be very cynical and say could have been a hospital in UK but at least hand cleanser dispensers are everywhere in hospitals there.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Which NE hospital, Lefkosa or Girne please?

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Which NE hospital, Lefkosa or Girne please?

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

Lefkosha

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

This must be reported, immediately, to the hospital administrators.

Agobard
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Agobard »

Good luck with reporting anything at Near East to the hospital administrators! We have been - for months - trying to arrange a meeting with the appropriate people there to discuss what they are going to do about a hospital infection that has caused months of further treatment and expense. So far we have been stonewalled at every turn.

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

To the best of my knowledge no hospital here tests for MRSA, standard practice now in the UK prior to admission, in a country where antibiotics are used in large doses indiscriminately you would have to question how widespread it is and if the standard of cleanliness I witnessed yesterday is anything to go by I dread to think.

muzzamint
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by muzzamint »

I am at present in Near East Hospital in Leftkosa. In the past year I have also been in Kyrenia Medical Centre and Girne State Hospital. All for different reasons,. A&E Girne state excellent. Inpaptient at Girne State I would not recommend I will never stay in that hospital again. Hygiene disgusting, mice in rooms, rude staff need I say more. Kyrenia Medical Centre overall very good. Near East Leftkosa well all I can say is that it is a palace compared to state. OK so not many of the nursing staff speak English but hey we are in TRNC and they do try and communicate. Yes hygiene ie hand washing is not what I am used to in the UK but I also have to say that hospitals here do not have the infection rate that UK hospitals have. As with all ops and procedures there is a chance of infection. I remember being in a private hospital 15 years ago in the uk and got a very severe infection which resulted in me having a second op to clear up the damage. No hospital in the world can offer infection free treatment that is life, all that can be done is try to prevent spread. All staff in hospitals throughout the world should pay more attention to cleanliness. TRNC hospitals will be different for other people and different procedures. I cannot fault dental department and dental surgery. Well done to Near East Hospital

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

I'm not sure what you have based the statement that hospitals here have lower infection rates than UK on, these things have to be measured and there is no process for that here.I haven't fortunately had a lot to do with hospitals here but the little experience I have had has seen a patient still with soil contaminated clothing taken to theatre, staff entering a theatre without plastic overshoes and cardigans over uniforms, nursing staff with elaborately decorated finger nails treating patients I could go on. Infections are treated with huge doses of antibiotic often just sold over the counter - MRSA !!!!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Loobyloo wrote:I'm not sure what you have based the statement that hospitals here have lower infection rates than UK on, these things have to be measured and there is no process for that here.I haven't fortunately had a lot to do with hospitals here.....
LoobyLoo, Sorry but these posts don't sit well with me. You appear to make statements of fact and then add words like 'as far as I know' which may mean that you don't know for sure.

How is it you know that "there is no process for that here" when you also state that you haven't had a lot to do with hospitals here?

Is it one hospital or many?

If the bad experience outlined is what you are basing your comments on then that's not the impression you give.... You make it sound as though you have extensive and detailed knowledge of the entire hospital regime and the working and statistical analysis of its many establishments...

Did you know that many UK hospitals have been reported as failing and falling below the required standards of care and hygiene by the Dept of Health

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... finds.html

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

I am well aware of hospital failings in UK and if you want to know about a hospital GP practice or other health care giver in UK you can look at their latest inspection report on line. It is possible to check some consultants infection rates on line too. Prior to admission to hospital in the UK you will have swabs taken to check for MRSA here to the best of my knowledge no check is made I asked the question of my Dr here. If you have concerns then I suggest you do as I have done and ask.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Have had some experience of Kyrenia aMedical Centre and the Kolan hospital. KMC has been excellent all round.Bags of attention to limiting infection, the hospital generally is very clean and certainly the rooms are. My neighbour speaks highly of Near East but to be honest I hear more negatives than positives once conversations get round to medical stuff.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”