General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

cambridge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Sunday lunch

•   Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Post by cambridge »

just had a very pleasant Sunday lunch at the Levant up in Karaman/Karmi.
Not spectacular but very pleasant with good smiley service.
Good value.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Sunday lunch

•   Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Went to Fez yesterday, all prices in Sterling. Two course meal @ £12.00 and three course @ £15.00. Good food, roast beef was tasty and just enough. Two meals and two Pepsi came out to 110TL.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Leither
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Leither »

Most places charge between 20TL and 30TL for two course Sunday lunch, charging above that and in sterling is a bit over the top.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Right, tin hat at the ready for the fans of the fez.....but, I can only think that they are charging in sterling to attract holiday makers, who probably think 12 quid for two courses may be on a par with UK prices. I have heard that the drinks are now very expensive in the fez....had some friends who went a couple of weeks ago who were totally shocked when the bill came. To be fair, someone said, and I have checked, that they are now advertising themselves as a boutique hotel and gastro pub. Well good luck to them, but if they are targeting holiday makers winter will not bode well, although at those prices they will probably make sufficient to tide them over. Convert those prices in sterling to tl, and you are talking a lot! Went to st tropez French restaurant a couple of weeks ago for a fantastic Sunday lunch meal, not your roast beef stuff, but still excellent, and no where near that price. But good luck to them if they can make a go of whatever it is they are trying to do......but, certainly would not class it as a boutique hotel.

Steve C
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Steve C »

At Lamar Catalkoy on a Sunday in the Cafe they offer a Sunday 2 course lunch
Roast pork, chicken & lamb (as available) all for 20 tl. You can also buy your wine in
the supermarket and drink for no corkage fee. Call in to book as booking
is advisable, places are limited.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Like mrsgee I might as well put my tin hat on and make no apologies for the following!! If you want to go somewhere, when it isn't a case of bums on seats and how much food for how little cash, then go to the new Macaron in Alsancak, opposite the Belediye offices. If you like your food on nice crockery, eat with nice cutlery and drink out of nice glasses (sorry about all the nices) plus have food cooked well and served perfectly then this is the place for you. Meat melted in the mouth, roast potatoes gently tossed in what I think was cinnamon, home made apple sauce with a hint of cloves, salad and vegetable cooked just right. The pate was home made and just right. Individual gravy boats plus all the accompaniments, horseradish and 2 mustards, not served from the jars. Very good selection of wine (not in boxes). There were 6 of us, all had coffee but only one had a brandy and only one had a dessert. The owner will make desserts to order if you give her some notice. Someone has asked for "properly made" bread and butter pudding to be on the menu next week. Not the usual stuff that passes for B and B pudding these days. The bill for 6 of us was 268tl - we all had one drink in the bar before eating our lunch - which considering the quality of the food and wine we thought was extremely good. We'll definitely be going back and we wish the new owners all the luck in the world. Sadly I feel an awful lot of people will still go for as much as they can eat for as little as they can pay.

The owners (they come from Turkey one speaks with a pronounced American accent) ask for your feed back and make a note there and then of anything you feel they can do to improve. They deserve to succeed and I for one wish them all the luck in the world.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

That sounds fab Sophie, not heard of that one, but definitely one to try...thank you.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

"roast potatoes gently tossed in what I think was cinnamon"

I was interested up to this point then my heart sank - COA doesn't do cinnamon at the best of times and on roast potatoes? She'd have a fit....

I really like cinnamon but not sure roast potatoes need it.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Don't worry Groucho, it was only the tiniest hint of cinnamon and it really was different and very tasty however you could have drowned the taste with the gravy which had red wine in it!! Or so it seemed to me.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

sophie wrote: If you want to go somewhere, when it isn't a case of bums on seats and how much food for how little cash, ................................... Sadly I feel an awful lot of people will still go for as much as they can eat for as little as they can pay.

How true!

I know some very well off residents that will search out the cheapest food and then moan at the quality...............and then go back there time after time because it's cheap!

I know some well off residents that will try to barter with the waiter/owner before stepping inside on the price of efes.

Some people want 2 Michelin Star cuisine served by morning suited french waiters walking away from them backwards and bowing...........................and then want a bill for 27 pence which is then discounted by an owner privileged to have their business.

And they'd still moan............

When you've spent some good years here and have got to know some of the restaurant workers and owners and their families very well................in a quiet moment ask them what they really feel about such people.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Hedge-fund.......I think I'd be too embarrassed to hear their comments.

Leither
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Leither »

I agree Hedge--Fund but that still does not give you the right to overcharge and rip people off.These places don"t last long once the word gets around and like you I have been around here a good few years,Sunday lunch at home cooked by a gorgeous wife,what more can I say.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

or Husband!!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

OK, I seem to have started it so here goes another bit. I have noticed over the years that many people will put on the forum what they had and how good/bad it was but will not say where it was they had what it was, or leave out the price or how they felt about it.

I put on the remark/information about the Fez because that was where we went, what we had and what it cost. I am not trying to say it was expensive or cheap or worth the money or not, that is up to you to go and try it yourself if you wish. I will continue to put such comments about anywhere we go and keep them non-emotional and informative - the rest is up to you!!!!!!!!!!

Dan3006
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Dan3006 »

what may be expensive to one person may not be to another.... horses for courses (no pun intended) is what i am trying to say

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

waddo wrote:...I am not trying to say it was expensive or cheap or worth the money or not, that is up to you to go and try it...I will continue to put such comments about anywhere we go...the rest is up to you!!!!!!!!!!
Cop Out!

No - I'm only joking...honest!

I've never been to the Fez, so I don't know if any of the following apply: -

A lot of Property Owners, of both Commercial and Residential Property, quote the rent in Sterling, so it does make sense for restaraunters and others who do rent commercial property to charge in that currency, just to keep up with the rent!

I know of one or two cases where individuals (not restaraunters) are on a relatively fixed TL income, but have to pay rent in Sterling - and believe me, the Sterling cost are high to start off with, without having to cope with the change from 2.5 TL to the pound - to four point 'odd' TL to the pound. I bet that they can no longer afford to go out for Sunday Lunch...

Barbieb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Barbieb »

Sorry really have to comment on this, yes lira rate has gone through the roof, but two roast dinners and two pepsi's 110tl, think I may have fainted and trust me I do not hunt the cheapest restaurant, I want good food, but this is crazy, yes don't expect to pay what I paid last year 25tl for 2 course tasty roast, but 50tl taking into account the pepsi would have been 5tl, the lira has not hit 6tl yet!

Dan3006
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Dan3006 »

Barbie if you think that is a crazy price you wouldn't want to go out in the UK or Tenerife looking for a 2 course meal and 2 drinks in a good eaterie for what is the equivalent of £25, I understand it's all relative to the cost of ingredients and surrounding restaurants but just enjoy it while you can because the more built up this place gets the more of the tourist trap prices you will find

topten
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Post by topten »

The best Sunday lunch that I have eaten out is at the Black Olive do not recall cost but the very good food.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

And, as a final bit from me: We are not rich and only go out for meals about three times a month but when we go out we make our choice and then pay the piper so to speak. We have had excellent meals for less than 30TL each and terrible meals for more than 90TL each but have always judged the food, service and surroundings in with the overall price. We have our own favorites and our own special places like everyone else - class a special place as one where the cost of the meal will not enter into the overall experience.

However, we live in the TRNC and expect to see prices in Turkish Lira as that is the currency of the land, regardless of fluctuating exchange rates we remain unhappy when prices for food are displayed in any other currency than Turkish Lira. We understand the difficulty in obtaining certain products and that some will raise the prices beyond which our experience of eating in other countries would have led us to expect but then everyone has to make a living and we refuse to judge establishments on prices alone.

Currency is a different matter entirely and when we look at the produce required to produce a Sunday Lunch, all items of which are readily available in the local markets (paid for in Turkish Lira) we are dismayed to find that the cost of a Sunday Lunch is not also displayed in Turkish Lira. The only reason for this that we can see is so that the establishment can charge a higher price than would willingly be paid by a tourist because it is in their native currency and they have no real understanding of what is available and at what cost in local currency. Normally we avoid such establishments and will continue to do so - All Year Round!!!!

harita
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Post by harita »

I agree waddo .. Prices of meals should be in TL not £'s
For that reason alone I don't frequent the Fez ..
Not many tourists here in the winter ..

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

There is a restaurant which abuts the Municipal Car Park in Girne, very close to where the bus trips from down south park. Any time now, they will stop pricing in TL and start advertising prices in Euro (assuming they do the same this year as they have for last two)

davedee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

Post by davedee »

Many Many years ago Planters Restaurant (now no more) priced menu in sterling.However not seen this practice since .

niceone
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

Post by niceone »

I also agree with Waddo, prices should be in TL

That is the currency of the country, imagine if a local came in and had no idea of the exchange rate!

solic200
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

Post by solic200 »

Nearly 50tl for a two course Sunday lunch is the most expensive I have ever heard of here in the trnc at a pub I can get two lunches for that price in quite a few places and it's good quality.
In the uk you can get a Sunday lunch for £8 for a two course in some pubs, (not London) I wouldn't pay £25 like someone mentioned earlier.

The Black Olive Cafe
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Post by The Black Olive Cafe »

Many thanks Topten glad you enjoyed it.
Our Sunday Roast cost 25tl and is an all you can eat, Roast Pork, Roast Chicken, Roast and mashed Potatoes, Cauliflower/Broccoli Cheese, Garlic Cabbage, Carrots,Sprouts homemade apple sauce and Gravy. Dessert are 5tl and all normally traditional things like Apple crumble and Bread and Butter pudding with Custard or Cream .
We hold are Sunday Roast every two weeks at 4pm and places must always be booked to avoid disappointment. Our next roast will be held on Sunday 24th May and we still have a few places left
Call Vicki on 05338355133

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Sorry Vicki, the 24th will not work for me - it is the Monaco Grand Prix! As you only do it every two weeks as well, the 7th of June is no good as that is the Canadian Grand Prix, followed by the 21st of June with the Austrian Grand Prix, then Jul 5th at the British Grand Prix - BUT THEN - because the German Grand Prix has been cancelled "CAN I PLEASE BOOK FOR TWO ON THE 19TH OF JULY???" We will be a lot thinner by then as well - lol. You would not believe the luck but all the races start at 3pm so we can't even sneak out and back early or late.

Update!!!!!! Just found out that the Canadian Grand Prix starts at 21:00 so I will call you soon to book two places for the 7th of June. Many thanks.

The Black Olive Cafe
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

I will be waiting for your call Waddo

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Maybe some of you should try the restaurants in lefkosia thier prices are much better and I find the meats better also the prices have changed very little.

Wookie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Wookie »

Must be honest and say I have several Sunday Roast's at the Black Olive, and have never been disappointed, veg and meat cooked to perfection!! "the hostess with the mostess" then runs round every table asking if anyone want's "seconds" and just as a final comment the Bailey's Cheesecake is to die for.....................yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

archie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Post by archie »

Can you tell me where the Black Olive is please.

The Black Olive Cafe
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

We are in Alsancak if you are coming from Girne you turn left at the Bronze lady then first left again at maria's corner bar then you follow the road all the way up and we are at the T junction
However we are only open for functions and the roast must be pre booked if you would like to added to our mailing list pleas email [email protected]
Many thanks
Vicki

Steve C
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Steve C »

Black olive - sounds great, do you not do lamb or beef at all?

The Black Olive Cafe
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Steve c sorry we dont do beef or lamb as beef can be sometimes disappointing and lamb is too expensive for us to use and we put everything out on your tables for you to serve yourselves
cheers
vicki

Leither
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Leither »

How can it be Sunday lunch without beef and lamb,I take it you have pork and chicken big choice eh!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”