General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Cyprus Remembered

•   Message 101 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Quite correct trooper. Opportunity very rarely arose to mix with "Locals". I remember it caused quite a stir when young GC National Guardsmen breezed into our Classroom in Berengaria casting their beady eyes over us.
However, we were aware of the discrepancies which existed between GCs and TCs particularly in Terms of status.
We sometimes managed to mix with with TCs particularly at Evdimou jetty but language was the problem.
Certainly, every effort was made to keep us cacooned in a very pleasant idyll.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 102 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

munchy wrote:So true trooper, The simple pleasures of going to the NAAFI buying ice cold Kean in glass bottles, playing Table Tennis in the club, fighting your way through the hot dunes for the privilage of shoving the girls off the platform moored off Buttons Bay. The lads that went to Ladies Mile were regarded as "sissies" but what a view of Limassol.
On return to the uk, I was quite depressed for a long time with the anti climax of 60s UK.
Have to agree about feeling depressed on return to the UK. After completing my O levels in the summer of 73, we left the island and returned to the land of rain, green fields and traffic. I got a summer job stacking shelves in the old Key Markets store and often found my mind wandering back to the care free times and wishing I was down Buttons Bay! The UK at that time just felt so alien...cannot really explain why. Fortunately in Sept of that year I set off as a shy 16 year old to commence army training - didn't have time to feel depressed then!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 103 of 104 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Kaiser Phil yes I remember the spitfire club I think it was burnt down as it was near where the train is now also the Andy cap bar with the lady who had the same repertoire as sticky Vicky. Lovely memories.

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 104 of 104 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

terry2366 wrote:Kaiser Phil yes I remember the spitfire club I think it was burnt down as it was near where the train is now also the Andy cap bar with the lady who had the same repertoire as sticky Vicky. Lovely memories.
Certainly are! I will never forget the smell of pork and beef steaks cooking over charcoal at "Smokey Joe's".

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”