General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: Cyprus Remembered

•   Message 51 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Munchy....Cliffs were to daunting for me as well....went fishing a lot off the cliffs but jumping for me was a no no. My legs would be wobbling just thinking about it. Plus if Mum had found out I had been jumping off them I think it unlikely I would ever be allowed out again!

Time was much better spent down at Buttons Bay with the girls.......even walking home the 3 miles werent to bad, sometimes we would get a lift others times we may not. However walking down the long hot straight from the beach back to home on a Saturday was always good as there was always the BBC World Service and Sportws Report to listen to.........the walk seemed short as the footy results came crackling across the airwaves.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 52 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Episode 12
Occasionally the warm embrace of "Base" Life was interrupted by the reality of life outside the gates
As usual, Mum & Dad had gone "the extra mile" to look good for their anniversary outing. They had decided on a popular Restaurant in Nicosia this balmy evening.
I was woken by an unusual commotion to find Mother crying and Father distressed. It transpired that , just as they were finishing their meal, there was a "drive-by" shooting and bullets had whizzed through the Restaurant forcing Diners to scramble to the floor. Thankfully, no-one was hurt but it was a stark reminder of the threats that existed at that time.
Not all Evenings were so traumatic. It was still common practice for "Celebrities of the day" to visit Forces Outposts for charitable purposes. Many a night, parents chatted enthusiastically about meeting the likes of FRANKIE VAUGHAN or HARRY SECOMBE, both of whom, took the trouble to join us at our Youth Club. Frankie is remembered by his mop of jet black hair, gleeming white teeth and firm handshake. Harry, on the other hand, was a cheerful incessant talker, the Trademark, that had recently made him famous as part of the "GOONS"-----------

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 53 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

THE HORSESHOE HIKE

One of the major events each year which all youth organisations participated in was the Horseshoe Hike. For those of us 14years and over the challenge was to hike from St Johns School on the coast at Episkopi up to Mount Olympus and then down to Limassol. It took place over 7 days camping out each night after the days hike. As I was in the scouts we naturally entered a team, but before we could take part we had to complete a series of training hikes beforehand. Firstly there was the clothing and equipment to find, menu planning and map reading tests. As far as clothing was concerned, the event took place in April so whilst the weather could be expected to be set fair, there was a good chance of rain as we climbed into the mountains, so a good set of waterproofs were essentlial. Next walking boots........Cyprus in the 70s was not the place to find good walking boots, in fact they did not exist. However; no problem the RAF came to the rescue and as Dad was a Supplier he used his contacts to obtain some military isssue boots....they will be fine he said! Well they would be once broken in but initially they would produce blisters and sores within minutes of putting them on. Much discussion on how many socks should be worn, do we tape our feet up or do we rub olive oil into our soles as some suggested. What to eat....for simplicity breakfast was to be sausages in beans heated over the hexamine stoves kindly supplied by the RAF Regiment or known to all as the rock apes. Lunch was to be eaten on the ground so bread and cheese was the decision. At the end of each day we boiled up some reconstituted stuff, again kindly supplied by the RAF. 

Training was a series of three hikes lasting 1 day, 2 days and 3 days during which time we honed our map reaxing skills, built up our fitness and also got used to carrying all our gear, tents and food in our rucksacks. Finally the big day arrived, not much sleep the night before but we were up at 5am and off to school for kit check, registration and weighing of rucksacks. Once completed we had an hour to wait whilst we planned our first days hike which involved navigating between checkpoints along the way. At last we were off and the five of us headed thro school, across the playground, down a ravine and into the bondu to pick up a dirt track wending its way up into the foothills. Wandering around the edges of the vines, small grapes just beginning to show we followed goat tracks skirting round hills and dropping down into the cool ravines.

It was well known that the real long legs were the last 3 days coming down from Troodos so it was best not to peak to early. I was sharing a tent with my best mate - but whilst I thought I knew him well, apparently not - he smoked! Shock horror, but as boys do he offered me a ciggy....it was a Consulate...think they had a menthol sort of taste, smell or smoke? I had no idea what I was supposed to do but as this was the era of cigarettes being advertised in the pictures by hunky guys and shapely females it was cool to smoke. Asked if I had enjoyed the smoke I of course said yes....I was cool wasn't I? We would creep into our tent for a quick drag out of the sight of any adults. Fortunately, on the hike up to Mount Olympus the weather was dull, misty and very vedy wet....the cigs were in my top pocket, they got so wet that they fell apart when I opened the packet that evening. So that was it, I threw them away and never returned to them again.

Day five was the longest hike...Troodos to Zoppiyi .....25+ miles if you never got lost. We got lost and as we descended down the mountain the temperature got hotter and hotter. Much knashing and wailing of teeth as we had to retrace steps for 4 miles, thro tiny greek villages where donkeys were the main transport. The local people were bemused by our antics and offered us a lift on a donkey or in the back of a beat up pick up...we had to refuse or be eliminated. If we would not have a lift then take some water, oranges, grapefruit. Eventually the heat took its toll and one of our team had to pull out....this again wasted time whilst pick up was arranged before the rest of us could continue. With 3 miles to go and the sun setting it was a motley team shuffling along getting slower and slower...we were done in. Eventually as it was getting dark we arrived at Zoppiyi...shattered. 

The second to last day was another long leg and as we were one of the last teams in the previous day, we were one of the first out that morning. By now the finish was only a day away and despite the tiredness we pushed on and arrived at Kellaki village in mid afternoon. Tradition had it that the hikers played football against the hike check point controllers and organisers...sorry not for us we contented ourselves cheering from the sidelines. 

Final, day and another 25 miles to go, but who cares we will finish. We kept going and slogged on to the penultimate checkpoint which was at the top of the last piece of uphill trekking for the day. We scrambled to the top and then suddenly there below spread before us was Limassol...what a fantastic sight. Only 5 miles to go and bouyed up with a spring in our step we stretched our legs and ate up the miles. A dry dusty track suddenly joined a narrow piece of tarmac as we walked thro Ayios Athanasios on the outskirts of Limassol.....all along this narrow road cars were parked, military and civilian and parents, teachers, youth leaders and friends lined the route and cheered us all home. Up some steps and into a village cafe and the final check point. We had done it! The reward was a freezing cold can of beer, buckets of water thrown over us and congratulations from very proud parents. Home and real good scrub, think all my clothes were thrown out...they stank and then off for the obligatory full kebab, glasses of Kokinelli before collapsing in bed.

Again those 7 days had a life long impact which would hold me in good stead in the future. We learnt to work as a team, make decisions, drive ourselves on when we were very very tired and overcome the obstacles put in our way....it was an event that was talked about all year. Of course completion did also come with the admiration of the girls, many who had taken part themselves and the post hike party a few weeks lated was a night to remember! For a long time afterwards everyone still felt as if they were walking tall and all of us had huge grins on our faces.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 54 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

What fun Posh. I do not recall this Hike, maybe it was associated with St Johns only, or , it was introduced after 1968 ?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 55 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Not sure when the Horseshoe Hike was started. I did it in 1972, there were two hikes really. One lasting 4 days for ages 12 - 14 yrs from Episkopi to Troodos and then the7 day one for 15 - 18yrs old.

It was a right of passage to have taken part, sort of a graduation from just being a teenage sloth to proving that you were growing up, determined and capable.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 56 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Reading thro these threads I think that the early 70s indeed were idyllic times....the problems that Cyprus faced post independance in the early 60s seemed to have calmed down. No doubt there were enclaves and no go areas for both communities but the shootings and violence were not prevalent. Yes security was occasionally heightened but as a teenager we never felt unsafe. Trips to Kyrenia passing thro the turkish areas never felt different, maybe we were nieve. In those days a huge turkish flag was hung between the hillsides from St Hilarion Castle, it was said it could be seen from Turkey and if the flag should fall it was a sign that the turkish Cypriot community was under threat. Was it true - no idea but it made an impact!

Our time on the island from 1970 - 73 was very undisturbed unlike others. One incident that I recall but never hit home until many years later was a birthday party for my sister. Dad hired a mini coach to take us from Akrotiri to the party venue.We had to pick up a greek Cypriot girl, the daughter of our old landlord from our first house in Limassol. Pick up done we proceeded to the edge of town and to the Brittania Bar for the full kebab and juke box for some dancing. Most of the turkish community lived in the west of Limassol and certainly the restaurants we went to were all in the turkish side of town.

Insensitive, nieve or just never thought....but the poor little greek Cypriot girl was not at all happy and you could sense she was uncomfortable. There she was in a turkish Cypriot restaurant.........but for us the past troubles had not impacted at all and we had no idea what would happen two years later in the hot summer of 1974.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 57 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Episode 13
The Berengaria School Run was never dull. The creaking Truck would ferry us past the Salt Lake on the right , the sub station with bristling Antennae on the left and through the "cool" of the Fruit plantations past Kolossi and into Limassol proper.
On some occasions Thunderstorms would cut off the passage through the Salt Lake flats, hopelessly stranding us. Like the male equivalent of "St Trinians",we would lark about without realizing the danger we were in.
Berengaria was a collection of Huts adjacent to a sturdy Cypriot Building acting as the Staff's HQ. I am ashamed to say that I did not always take Lessons seriously and it was during one History Lesson, where "Miss" decided to frogmarch me to the "Head". A diminuative man, he ,nevertheless, wielded the Plimsoll with some ferocity. It had the desired effect, as,come End of Term, I received "THE HISTORY PRIZE", a book on Winston Churchill, for outstanding effort.
It was to my astonishment that on one occasion, Members of the "Greek National Guard" breezed into our classroom, searching for goodness knows what, trying to impress I think?
The Return Journey brought us into greater contact with the SBA Police. We were always treated well and, in time, we began to form individual preferences among the Greek Cypriot & Turkish Cypriot Officers. The Greek Cypriots were pleasant, courteous and efficient but, for some reason, I took to the patient and Helpful attitude of the Turkish Cypriot Officers. It was this lasting image which was to influence me greatly after my 1st visit to N Cyprus in 1982.
A possible reason for this difference in attitude was that, the handful of Turkish Cypriots who attained this Rank on the SBA, had to undergo strict selection, not unlike the Ghurka's, from a big pool of hopeful applicants. The successful Applicants were therefore held in the highest esteem by their Compatriots. This reflected in their positive outlook in the job they so enjoyed doing.-----------

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 58 of 104 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

I remember arriving at Nicosia and being surprised how warm it was even tho it was St Paddy's day. (march 17). Then a seemingly endless bus ride on the partly metalled main road to Limassol. We stayed at a small hotel overnight in Heroe's Square which was a fairly squalid place even then.

Off to school. I first went to Berngaria but half way thru the first term I was transferred to St John's. Berengaria was ok though, other kids were the Sacco's (two lads and their sister), Ron Smith, Paul Evans and others that I can't now remember.
St John's was great. Interesting bus ride from our hiring in Limssssol with that great view of Curium from the top of the hill.
Doing the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme, which meant hiking 0ff into the foothills of troodos on Friday afternoon's wearing dad's spare boots and my kit andd sleeping bag in his large pack. Sleeping out was fun and so was popping into the nearrest village and buying a bottle of village wine! Interestingly then (1960-2) we never thought much about snakes. Think I only ever saw one and we spent a lot of time in the bondu. I see more here in the north in a month.

Although at St John's in Epi I joined the Berengaria Senior Scout troop - about 8 of us - which was fun. HQ was a portacabin type thing and I still have the huge Union flag which we used to fly.

and lastly (but not least) I still remember my favourite girl friend, Madeleine Joy a lovely blonde. Not much chance of getting into trouble with her as her father was a rather large CSM in 2 para based at Polemedia camp. not a chap to mess with.

Those were the days, definitely.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 59 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

ST JOHNS SCHOOL

So why did this school have such an impact on so many service children over the years? It was a happy school and the teachers at the time were dedicated and as you made your way up the school years the transition from a child to young adult was handled with care and concern. Apart from the early starts there was nothing not to like. Bouncing along on the school bus the 30 min trip allowed sufficient time for those errant ones amongst us to at least make some attempt to do the homework set a week earlier......why as a teenager did we feel we had to leave it till the last minute. If you were lucky your studious mates would share there work with you, if not you could at least put a few words down on paper yourself. However; bouncing and lurching along the road did mean that the handwriting was nearly always a giveaway that the work was done on the bus!

There were only two short breaks during the school day, initially I would be found in the boys playground playing a little like squash. We would line up one behind the other usually about 4 or 5 of us. The first in line would thro a tennis ball into the air and then using the palm of the hand wack it against the sloping playground wall....then the next in line would have to return the shot and so it continued down the line. The object was fo make sure the next in line could not return the shot and was then eliminated. So it continued until there was a winner. If we were not in the playground then it was all in wrestling at the tuck shop, arms, elbows or whatever was required to get inside and grab a snack before break was over. Mum did do a pack lunch of sandwiches, but either the tuck shop or your best mates packed lunch seemed better. Many a time my pack lunch remained in the school bag, not a pleasant combination after a few days underthe searing heat of the summer sun.

Of course inevitably with all the different social activities on the go, girls met boys. Initially via a go between until a yay or nay was received. If it was a yay then you were an item. No more boys playground, better to be seen in the main quadrangle area hanging out with the girls and generally trying your best to be cool and impress. My first girlfriend lived halfway up Alexander Hill on camp and on the way to or from our house, so we would arrange to meet after school every day and then it was youth club, beach or hanging around the Flamingo bar. Occasionally us kids would arrange aparty around each others houses, Mum and Dad would know but would nearly always go out and return about midnight to close proceedings down. The thing was that whilst we did not realise it all parents knew who their siblings were linked to at any time...parents would talk at work, down the NAAFI or at a mess functions so it was never a secret! My first girlfriends Dad was in the RAF Police SIB so I had to behave! We stayed together for over a year, which was nearly a lifetime way back then. Another girlfriends Dad worked in the MT driving buses and took my family out to the VC10 as we were flying home - during the short conversation it was clear he knew all about me!

PE took place down the hill in Happy Valley and was the usual football, rugby and cricket with athletics in the summer. Basketball and Volleyball took place outside in the summer on one of the school playgrounds. For me as a stick insect in the summer I was duty bound to do some athletics....long jump and a bit of running was about my lot. Inter house athletics competition saw me running in the seniors 1500mtrs.......I was aged 15 and most of the others were 16 - 18 yrs old. Needless to say those 3.5 laps seemed to go on forever. I languished in last place, but hey ho never mind I did my bit and got a point for the team. A new sports master arrived and asked us boys would anyone like to play hockey......hmm...hockey was for girls was it not? However I decided to give it a go mainly in the hope that there would be the opportunity to meet some girls or alternatively acciddntly clip a few annoying girls with the stick. Firstly there was no meeting of girls, we were taken thro the skills and rules of the game and before long I was busy running and dribbling the ball down the wing. I loved the game and from this beginning went on to play at various levels both during my time in the forces and also in civilian life.

As GCE subject selection arrived, Dad was keen I made the right choices. Everything seemed to fit in except that it looked like I had to do Tech Drawing, a subject which bored me stupid. I asked if I could do another subject but the timetable and subject set would just not allow it. However; my housemaster realised that I was not happy so if I was happy to sit in a class with 12 year olds and work on my own on the GCE syllabus then I could do the subject I really wanted to. Deal done....I did this for a year, took the exam and passed!

School also offered other activities.....there was the stage productions and for me my first debut on the stage was in "West Side Story"...well not on stage exactly as the production was played out outdoors under the stars on a balmy meditteranean night. Firstly there were the auditions......yes we did all have to sing a few lines! It was primarily to weed out those whose voices had not yet broken and were still very squeaky.  Nevertheless embarrassment levels were high. I made it thro and being blond was placed in the Jets gang. Rehearsals continued over the next couple of months mostly in the afternoon after school under the very hot sun. As well as being part of the gang, we also had to pair up with a girl as shock horror there was dancing to be done. Partners identified then came the hard task of teaching us the jive and some rock and roll...much hard work continued and soon it was dress rehearsal time and opening night. The show went on for 4 nights, getting more slick each time...come the final night it was so goodwe had standing ovations and had to repeat a few songs all thro again. A post show party held on the last night in school with sketches, mickey taking, food, disco and illegal drink smuggled in. Nothing to heavy, just the odd coke bottles full of red wine or a 7Up can topped up with gin. Buses eventually took us all home but as the adrenaline was still pumping many of us stayed up to continue the party sat on a patio or wall outside the of the by now closed Flamingo Bar. The SBA police did regular sweeps around camp and stopped to ask we we were out so late....we were enjoying ourselves....with the cypriot shrug of the shoulders they smiles, waved and left us to our own devices.

School numbers were growing in the 70s and a new house was created...all houses were named after cathedral cities....Durham was created and much to some peoples angst they were transferred across. I was lucky and remained as I was - wether by luck or some other divine intervention this new upstart started winning everything much to our annoyance.

GCE O levels came in my last couple of months at St Johns. We were to return to the UK the previous February but an extension was granted for 6 months so I could complete my exams. This of course pleased me and also my parents...another few months in paradise. Exams done I had a couple of weeks of hard beaching and socialising to be done before the gozome bird lifted off for the grey of the UK and coming back to earth with a BIG bump.     

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 60 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Nice one Trooper. Posh, was there a Chippy next to the Flamingo Bar?

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 61 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Episode 14
Those wonderful 3+years seem to have flown by. Our last few trips to Buttons Bay and Happy Valley were now, somehow, halfhearted in the knowledge we were soon to leave "Paradise" for good.
We arrived at our new Posting RAF BENSON on a rain sodden day. We were jet lagged, my tan seemed to be fading in front of my eyes, and the high pitched whine of the ARGOSY Transports were really, really getting to me.
I find it difficult to explain the transition from "Teenager in Paradise" to "Young Man in Oxfordshire". I was totally "out of the water". The stress of having for the, first time, to compete against my peers in this alien environment took it's toll. The "protective shield " of Service Life was no longer there and I felt that I was 3or4years behind the times.
It was not until the late 70s that I had the 1st opportunity to return to Cyprus on Holiday.I had been dismayed by the events of 74 but I fully understood why it happened.
My wife and I stayed in Limassol and I was proud to show her my old haunts. Governors Bay, Bunch of Grapes Pissouri,Evdhimou Jetty, Happy Valley and Aya Napa, when there was only a single Hotel, all very pleasant. Two more Holidays followed in Larnaca & Paphos but "something was missing". My thoughts turned to "the OTHER side"----------

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 62 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

munchy wrote:Nice one Trooper. Posh, was there a Chippy next to the Flamingo Bar?
Definately a chip shop mext to Flamingo Bar in camp center at Akrotiri during our time there from 1970 - 73.

There was a NAAFI shop ans next door another shop which sold electrical stuff including records. Then there was a paper/book shop anx a row of shops selling fruit and veg and a barbers shop as well. Also in centre of camp was the newly built St Andrews Church which had a cafe open each day from 8 - 12noon. Akrotiri Primary school was along the same road...Princess St I think.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 63 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Crikey Posh, that was our Main Meeting Place. Many happy Hrs spent there. Another question Posh, down the straight Lane with tall trees, sports fields either side, was there a Cinema at the end?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 64 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

SO MUCH TO DO.....

As well as all the youth and school activities there were also other fabulous opportunities that came my way........there was the trip to Irael organised by one of the RAF padres scouts, guides, church members, or really anyone who wanted to go made up the numbers. We left on a BEA Trident from Nicosia airport which seemed to climb vertically as we took off and no sooner had we levelled off then we were descending to land in Tel Aviv. A great five days visiting all the sights.

A youth club trip one summers day took us on the long long drive to Ayia Napa....what a place, what a beach....one beach shack, golden sands and crystal clear sea. Paradise. So much so that two weeks later after much badgering of parents we set off to show them this dreamworld. The journey was long, the sun very hot, we were sweaty and no in  car aircon! Inevitably we got lost and drove around tiny villages and dirt tracks, no signs to guide us. With Dad getting more and more annoyed and kids getting more and more thirsty, eventually the bamboo canes overhanging the dirt track parted....stretched before us was Napa bay - even Dad was impressed. It may have been difficult to find back in the 70s mainly due to lack of signs....its just as difficult now, mainly due to wall to wall hotels!

Indulgence flights were the norm in those days and with Dad working in supply he regularly got to hear about any vacant seats on trooping flights. One day he announced that he and Mum were off for a couple of weeks, there were seats on the trooping flight to Singapore and they had bagged a couple. It was a mad panic as they packed some clothes and made arrangements for someone to keep an eye on us kids. I was 15 so I was nominally in charge, however my parents knew that 15 year olds dont really want to babysit younger siblings - that was indeed true. Neighbours were contacted who would pop in and keep watch out for us plus one of their 17 year old daughters volunteered to feed us. We were trusted to behave and in the main we did, mainly because I was often out, my sister was at the saddle club and my younger brother hanging out with his pals next door. Of course this would never happen now, some busy body would have reported us, no doubt citing child neglect. 

Early one Saturday morning Dad was off on one of his many trips, I of course was still in bed planning my weekend. An hour later Dad returns and told me to get up, washed and dressed and be ready to go in 20 mins....go where I asked? Soon I was sat in the back of an RAF Landrover heading for the airfield. I was to be F/Sgt M for this flight taking my Dads place. Both him and his boss had arranged with the pilot to take me on a trip in a Hercules to Tehran! A quick brief by the pilot...change into some too large RAF coveralls and I was strolling across to board the aircraft, trying desperately to look taller than I was but definately not speak or look anyone else in the eye. Safely aboard I sat down in the canvas seat as we roared down the runway and climbed out over Akrotiri bay. The payload for the trip was a couple of very large generators, but unfortunately the fuel had not been drained from the tanks and as we climbed fuel came gushing out of the tanks onto the aircraft floor.....it stank....diesel fumes are pretty strong. Hoping to get rid of the fuel and clear the air, the pilot then dropped the rear ramp and there I was chained on, stood on the rear cargo ramp looking down to Akrotiri salt flats and the bay below. Safety was the RAFs watchword and despite best efforts the flight had to turn back and land. My brief was as soon as we taxied to a stop the door would open and five steps away would be the landrover. Jump out, run, jump in landrover and keep my head down.....this I did and 3hrs after leaving home I was back indoors. My mates had barely got up, had this really happened? Yes it had and what an experience of a lifetime.

In June 1973 with our tour ending it was time to return to the UK. I had already made the decision that subject to O level results I would join the army at 16 and embark on a 3 year apprenticeship starting in the September. Back in the UK I was brought down to earth with a huge bump, I was a small fish in a very big pond. No mates, no sunshine, no beach and no girls....I really did not fit in at all. I was seriously missing the freedom and carefree, happy life I had had in Cyprus. However army life started and whilst thoughts of Cyprus faded they were never really very far away.

Summer 1974 and I was on leave at home.....20th July and news was all about a coup in Cyprus and the Turkish Peace Operation. How could this be happening I thought, all Cypriots were so friendly. From that day onwards I decided I wanted to learn about the history of Cyprus and why things had gone so badly wrong ......so every book, programme or you tube film was watched and devoured and still continues to this day. Cyprus had been a huge part of my life and would continue to be so.

As for the northern part of the island, whilst we had visited very occasionally in the 70s, the distance and roads made trips infrequent, long and tiring. However; my new army life would see me return to Cyprus and the opportunity to explore further afield was available........

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 65 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

munchy wrote:Crikey Posh, that was our Main Meeting Place. Many happy Hrs spent there. Another question Posh, down the straight Lane with tall trees, sports fields either side, was there a Cinema at the end?
Your memory is correct. Astra Akrotiri was the cinema. At top of the road next to the cinema was a t junction, turn left and you headed past guardroom on right with full scale model lightning parked outside. Road weng on for about 2 miles past a turning on left for hospital and on the right was the RAF Regiments building. Eventually you got to the main entrance to camp some 3 miles from camp centre. If you turned right after the cinema the road went past the officers married quarters and followed the runway all the way down towards Buttons Bay, Akrotiri campsite and The Mole....think they had a small marine craft moored here which was used to patrol round the camp waters and ward off anyone getting to close.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 66 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Thanks Posh, it's much clearer for me now. You had some really exciting adventures, looking at your previous post.
I recall a rather mundane School visit to a Matchbox Factory in Nicosia. I felt sorry for the Ladies who had to work in such uncomfortable conditions. I think we were some "eye candy" for them, a welcome distraction from their odious tasks.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 67 of 104 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

My memory of the RAF Akrotiri cinema was of stones and rocks bouncing off the roof of the then wriggly tin cinema. The RAF Regt guys were in tented accommodation very near the cinema and the Rockapes would chuck stones on the roof when they were bored.....sounded like gunfire to the audience....

The Rockapes would have been from 3 Wing, probably 27 Sqn.

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 68 of 104 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

My initial memory of Akrotiri, having arrived from Libya in 1960, is the kiosks around selling lovely filled rolls and drinks, including fresh milk.

Who remembers Alpha Lemon and Orange, Lanitis Orange Squash etc?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 69 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

NORTH CYPRUS.........

Army apprenticeship done, followed a few years later by getting married in 1979. First real holiday together...Cyprus. I was keen to show off the island to my new soulmate. Sadly I could tell that the first couple of days in our hotel in Limassol and her view of the island was not the same as mine. However; many trips out, meals and socialising and two weeks later she was converted! 

It was in 1983 we returned again for a 3 year tour at the eastern end of the island, living in Dhekelia and working right on the border at Ayios Nikolaos, four miles from Famagusta (Gazimagusa). Great job, great social life and both our children born in the RAF hospital at Akrotiri. We travelled all over and slowly the lure of the north took hold. In those days British military could cross over, but initially only for the day and only after much paperwork and form filling! After our first trip, across and mad dashes for a few hours in Kyrenia (Girne) we were hooked. No mass commercialism, cheaper to eat out, very friendly people and a slower pace of life. A couple of years later some restrictions were lifted and an overnight stay allowed.....great stuff as it allowed more time to explore. Hotel British in the old harbour was our first overnight stay venue. We loved all the island but the north had a special feel.

We were so fortunate to return again for a second tour in 1991, this time we lived in housing at Pergamos (Beyarmurdu) and I worked again at Ayios Nikolaos. Pergamos married quarters was on the very edge of the sovereign base area and the white border posts were only 20mtrs from our house, with the turkish villlage of the same name only 100mtrs away. It felt slightly wild west. All the local employees on Pergamos were turkish Cypriots, no greek Cypriots would work so close to the border. In fact greek taxi drivers would not take you there. These friendly turkish Cypriots would do anything they could to help you and simply loved the children. Just a short stroll from our house was Alis bar which was a regular haunt, serving all the turkish fare we have come to know and love. They looked after us like royalty and many a great night was had there. Crossing the border in the early 90s still required form filling but stays of up to 3 days were allowed....we took every advantage! The locally employed labour force on Ayios Nikolaos camp was mixed greek and turkish, with the turks coming across at the SBA border just half a mile away. We made great friends with these people and they would arrange insurance, hotels, recommend restaurants and do anything they could to make sure you had a great time in the TRNC.

We eventually left Cyprus in 1993 but over the years we returned many times on holiday staying mainly in the north. In 2011 whilst staying out at Bahceli with friends we saw a couple of properties for sale...we naturally took an interest but did not get to excited. Returning to the UK we wanted to make sure the holiday high, sun, sea, food and enjoyment of the holiday had faded a bit before we seriously considered if buying a small place in our corner of paradise was a pipe dream or reality. It was also a time of huge research understanding as best we could the many pitfalls and problems we may face. We made a firm decision not to sell up in the UK and move out permanently but wanted somewhere we could enjoy for up to 6 mths each year. This took some time. Eventually one night whilst surfing on the old Cyprus44 forum we spotted two short sentences advertising a property for sale.....the price looked right and we asked for more details. In time they were received. We asked foreven more details, builder, kocan, site fees etc etc.We took the next step and instructed an advocate....more detailed questioning PTP, taxes and fees. Finally in late Dec 2011 we had bought our place in the sun. Did it go smoothly.....not completely as it is North Cyprus but to be honest there were no major issues. 

Next it was applying for PTP...another mass of paperwork......and vague promises of how long it may take to complete. Done and dusted in 14mths so now we could get our Kocan....time to celebrate. We are now into our second month of our 6mth stay and visa extension applied for, police paperwork completed, blood tests done and hopefully another hurdle jumped soon....then apply for TRNC driving licence and we should have done most of the major taks required to be "legal". Yes not everything was straightforward but we know the rules and were prepared to spend a couple of days going tnro the process...it just felt right a d means we can enjoy our stay in this very special part of the world. Yes there are sometimes challenges but since taking the plunge we have never regretted anything, we have met some lovely people and had some great experiences and ever since 1970 this island and in particular the north has captivated me and my family - long may that continue.

So now if there is anyone else who has some special Cyprus Remembered memories, especially if they were from a time when we were young and carefree please do not hesitate to post.....its great to read about experiences from different eras and get an understanding of how things have changed and why people still love this place.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 70 of 104 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Something I've just remembered about the early 60's is the roadside kebab stalls selling lamb and goat kebabs at silly prices. What sticks in my memory is the sight of a live goat/lamb tethered close to the grill, waiting his turn to be a kebab! Not sorry that that practice has ceased!

I also remember skiing on Troodos in the morning and then swimming in the sea in the afternoon. Can't do that everywhere.....

elkiton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 71 of 104 in Discussion

Post by elkiton »

Anyone remember the Pen (peninsula) club at Akrotiri ? The original Tamala Motown scene....or the Berengaria Families Club, that was a difficult gig to play, lots of senior Chief'ies who still liked to foxtrot, in 1972...with disco lights....

elkiton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 72 of 104 in Discussion

Post by elkiton »

Sunday, up Troodos, pick up 4 trout from the farm, ...driving higher you pass through the farmlands in tiers, peaches and grapes, then apricots, then oranges, then apples, then nuts, buy some of each from stalls at the side of the road..... Stop off at a quiet spot, gut and clean the fish in a mountain stream (yes we had surface water then !) . Shear open the side of a 1 gal Duckhams oil can, thread the fish on skewers with some oil and herbs and light the charcoal in the tin, punch a few holes in the sides for better draught. Open the cool bag for a couple of bottles of Keo while they cook and the ladies prepare the salad and the fruit..... memories ?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 73 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Peninsular Club...remember the name. Was this for RAF junior ranks, dont remember going in as a teenager.

Do remember the Families Club teenage disco every second Sunday 7 - 10pm.

Troodos trips, usually packed up the coolbox and tin bbq and jump in car and off we went. Funny how I can remember the number plates of our first bondu basher, Renault 4 Reg was CZ525, then after a year or so Dad splashed out on a Toyota Corolla Estate in yellow. Reg was FC413. Toyota came home to the UK.

We woild find a nice spot up the mountains, men would be responsible for fire and getting bbq going, ladies on salad prep. Beers were cracked open and wine corks removed. Us kids would etertain ourselves or in my case responsibility rested with watching the souvlaki, sheftalia and chicken joints on the bbq. The smell of bbqs wafting thro the pine trees stayed with me forever.....no finer smell.

BBQ done we would pack up and head home........if it was a Saturday we would inevitably end back at our house or another families house on camp and the adults would continue the party Kokinelli, Five Kings Brandy, Emva Cream sherry for ladies or Martini and lemonades would flow.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 74 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Nice posts Posh re; your transition to N Cyprus.
The years 1982 - 1989 ,in N Cyprus remain very special to my Wife and I. We had many unique experiences, most of which were absolutely fabulous, but some were downright " Hairy" to say the least. It is definitely Book material, but in deference to my hospitable Hosts in the North, and my remaining Friends there, I intend to seek "Local" opinion before I " put pen to paper" on this subject.
I would like to highlight one thing ,however, bearing in mind, the long isolation, the careful balancing act between Turkey & Greek Cyprus, the cosmopolitan nature of the population,and despite being almost wholly Muslim, the TRNC has been a peaceful, tolerant and Western looking Society, quite an impressive achievement in view of all the turmoil so nearby. There are cracks appearing, as there are in other places, but , in essence, it is still a very special place.

elkiton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 75 of 104 in Discussion

Post by elkiton »

Paramali West Beach, in the shadow of the missile base...Pitching up thin white canvas tents on the beach to keep the kids (2 year olds) out of the burning sun. Nice new duty free cars parked on the hard standing... kebab stoves on the beach fired up and lamb, goat, chicken and (yes) liver on the grill.....Keo beer, Keo brandy, cigars and tall stories from RAF bases all over the world as we tried to out-do each other as to who had the worst posting...and if all else fails grouse about the NAFFI and how their monopoly ripped us of, or so we believed !
Then home, well not quite, always a party going on somewhere on the Limassol bypass, just look for the cars pulled in outside a bar and join in, kids can crash in the car.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 76 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Elkiton, I wonder if "our Lads" are having such a carefree life Today?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 77 of 104 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

(4)The flat was surrounded by a “marble” shaded veranda, raise a foot or two from a lovely garden – it is always wise in Cyprus to have a hard surfaced “cordon sanitaire” around the house: it wont keep out all creeping and slithering unwanted visitors, but you have more chance of seeing them coming and it prevents the larger ones such as snakes from nesting under the windows
We were allocated “batwoman” (basically a cleaner) and unaccustomed to domestic servants we were rather daunted by the prospect. The cheerful, friendly Greek Cypriot lady who arrived soon settled any doubts about that .. we might use the kitchen to cook meals, and do a little light dusting and flower arranging – otherwise the she was in charge of housework and we were soon glad to leave it in her capable hands.

Before she had time to get used the being a lady of leisure my mother was recruited into S.A.F.A. helping young service wives on first postings with everything from tea and sympathy to loans of every domestic necessity from cots to vacuum cleaners.

A few days after our arrival we were returned to the Airport to collect our little Jack Russell terrier and see him through surprisingly easy customs and veterinary formalities. At twelve years old we had hesitated whether to bring him to a hot climate , but he took on a new lease of life and thoroughly enjoyed the country as much as we did – fortunately his cheeky charm totally won over our kindly cleaner. His only regret was that he never caught a lizard, although on one occasion he got the tail which the lizard promptly shed leaving the dog crying , but whether for loss of the lizard or reget at the tail I never worked out!

We were soon introduced to the joys of life in Cyprus: the working hours of 8 to 1 weekdays and finishing at 12 Sat gave long afternoons to enjoy a siesta and spend time on the local Beaches, Ladies’ Mile at Limassol a lone stretch of sand and shallow water made it safe for non or weak swimmers and Tunnel Beach at Episkopi were the most popular but later when we had moved to Epislopi our favourite became “Evdhimou Jetty” attached to the Turkish Cypriot Village of Evdhimou.

effonine
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 78 of 104 in Discussion

Post by effonine »

[quote="PoshinDevon"]Amongst the thread of chidhood memories a number of people have been posting about their childhood memories of Cyprus from years gone by.

Bit of a long shot but I was talking to someone I know earlier this week who served in Cyprus in 1958. He's never been back but had many memories both good and bad and was interested in our visits there. His name is Ray Basher, do any of you ex-servicemen remember him?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 79 of 104 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Feb to May 1965, "detached" to the UN (because I was under age and should not have been here), walking back and forth each day from the outskirts of Nicosia up to RAF Nicosia for work. Into town into Rosies bar where myself and a number of equally stupid Canadian and Finnish UN troops stood in her window and watched a local idiot light the fuse on a cardboard box bomb - then ducking till it fizzed out and did nothing - started off life stupid and just got worse - lol. Back again from 69 to 72 on a three year tour spread between Episkopi and Akrotiri - remember the smells of the orange/lemon blossom as I road my motor bike through the plantation on the way to work. Testing the new engine on the old M! - trying not to get caught as I raced down the Limassol By-Pass on my way home!!! Riding round the whole Island with my mate on the back and all our snorkel gear - two weeks of diving in places I have never found again, magic! Going to his wedding and six months later to his funeral following a diving accident, tragic! Back again in 74 but just passing through via Kingsfield on my way to elsewhere in the world. Back again in 81 for a quick visit this time checking up on what sort of training the guys needed before coming here. Big gap then to 97 and first visit here for wife - she was hooked as soon as she stepped off the aircraft!!! Back again 2000 - then 2001 made up our minds to retire here. Made it at least three times a year until June 2007 - never left the Island since and probably never will. Potted history but so many, many memory's.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 80 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Iam so pleased we have jogged such fond memories on this Posting "waddo". Despite the tragic loss of your friend in such circumstances it is clear you had the time of your life. Health & Safety was not on the agenda in those days and, in a strange sort of way, we were all the better for it.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 81 of 104 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

So right about H&S in those days it was called common sense! Can anyone remember the old Petrolina Petrol stations where you could clean your motor bike engine and bits with a mix of high pressure petrol and water - left the whole thing gleaming?? Had a Yamaha YDS3 one of the two stroke twins that had automatic oil measure fitted, two engines for it, one for back and forth to work and one for play time and normal days - took me 36 minutes to change engines with a set of mole grips and one Phillips screwdriver!!! We were so skint in those days it was cheaper to use the bike for work than pay for the shift bus from Limassol to Akrotiri, used to run the work engine on a mix of petrol and paraffin because paraffin was half the price of petrol. Then the tax man stepped in when my second daughter was born and promptly taxed me as a single man - RAF took no interest even though I was living in a hiring by then and they were for married personnel only - three months of eating mince till it was sorted out and never did get any rebate, I had more recipes for mince than anyone else in the world and hate the damn stuff but it was all we could afford. Who can remember the TV station from Israel? I can't remember what it was called but you could get the odd English program me on it and the stations theme tune still rings through my mind. No maternity grants, no child benefits, no time off work, we lived in a real world and loved it!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 82 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Can anyone remember any "Famous" people who made Cyprus their Holiday Home in the "good old days"? I know Edward Woodward had a Boat moored at Famagusta and ,presumably, a "pad" nearby pre 74'.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 83 of 104 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Derek Nimmo had a "holiday home" or at least visited regularly.

In one episode of "Just a Minute" on the subject of "A Balmy Evening" he referred to sitting by Kyrenia Harbour and drinking Ouzo (My italics - I was tempted to write to the BBC and challenge him for deviation for getting the wrong drink!) The rest of the team were teasing him about having a property in a glamour location but of course no reference was made to Cyprus or which part. Must have been about 94 or 95 before the Border was opened.

Andrew Faulds (who played Jet Morgan in Journey into Space* and subsequently became a Labour MP) must have had some connection because he was a member of the a group of British MPs who supported the interests of the TRNC called "The Friends of Northern Cyprus"

*Anyone remember JIS? There have been a few repeats of R4X

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 84 of 104 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

Remember it well. Wasn't the crew Jet, Doc, Mitch and Lemmy?

I thoroughly enjoyed it as a lad.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 85 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Does anyone recall in 1965 or 1966 an RAF VC10 carrying Freight came down in the Med between Crete and Cyprus. We actually received a water stained letter which was on that plane and which was retrieved from the sea some weeks later. Incredible!

Yenidunya2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 86 of 104 in Discussion

Post by Yenidunya2 »

I think you will find that it was a BEA comet 4b in 1967. Might be wrong, long time ago!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 87 of 104 in Discussion

Post by erol »

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 88 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

I stand corrected. I just found it amazing that the Mail got through no matter what, a bit like "Wells Fargo" I suppose.

Yenidunya2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 89 of 104 in Discussion

Post by Yenidunya2 »

Erol,
That's the one. I flew that route on 30 October 1967 BE284 G-ARGM, a Comet4b. It was rumoured that Grivas was on board the fateful flight. It transpired he was not. If he had been, who knows how the Cyprus story would have developed. Discuss!!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 90 of 104 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

My recollection is that, even as civilians, we have the privilege of using the British Forces Post Office for letters to and from "Home", which was quicker than normal international post at the time, although it did mean letters delivered to one's place of work. My memory may be letting me down but I thought this was always flown by the RAF - I am surprised that a letter was retrieved from a commercial flight?

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 91 of 104 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Too many G&T's to read all this tonight, but tomorrow is another day. Not here before 1972 ,but remember it then, as a tourist, will contribute memories to the book later.Please compile one!!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 92 of 104 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

PoshinDevon wrote:Amongst the thread of chidhood memories a number of people have been posting about their childhood memories of Cyprus from years gone by.

There has been a suggestion that perphaps a separate thread be started purely for those who have memories of Cyprus from childhood, teenage or earlier years. It does appear that there are a few of us! It appears that memories go back to the 1950s or possibly earlier. My memories started in 1970.

Another suggestion was to get these memories compiled and maybe even pull them all together to form a book..... a big task but it could happen. We would of course need to organjse ourselves if this were ever to come to fruition.

In the meantime even if the book does not happen please use this thread if you have memories of Cyprus as a child, it will be an interesting thread whatever happens.
Unless anyone objects, those that have already posted childhood memories of Cyprus on the Childhood Memoris thread I will move them to this thread.....let me know if you would prefer this not to happen.
My underline - see next post

divesups
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 93 of 104 in Discussion

Post by divesups »

Here from late 56. Not a as good as it could get. School bus armed serviceman knocked on our door to take us to the bus another armed serviceman at the bus door Glass over the bus windows.. Same for my mother when doing the shopping. Service personnel when they were allowed to go into Limassol had to go in sixes. All service people were armed with a handgun. Don't want to harp on about how many personnel lost their lives to EOKA............

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 94 of 104 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

I arrived in Cyprus on St Paddy' day 1960, flying into Nicosia by a prop driven aircraft (DC6?) We had been scheduled to fly from Gatwick on a charter trooping flight but due to some tech probs we were diverted to Stansted. In those days it wasn't much more than a wriggly tin hut, a couple of staff and a dog!

The smell that is Cyprus is one of the first memories alighting from the aircraft. Not unpleasant atall but different. I was travelling with my parents as my father was a serving Rockape with the RAF Regiment . We travelled by RAF bus to Limassol where we stayed in a small hotel in Heroes Square....

From there to a hiring in Limassol just north of the by pass. Early memories were the local shops quite different from anything I had known, and of course the fairly unfriendly Greek Cypriots - this was of course just post independence - but we found the Turkish Cypriots a different kettle of fish. Friendly and helpful but to me 'exotic'.

As others have posted, I remember the local buses, the heat, smells and the food! I went off to Berengaria school but was fairly quickly transferred to St John's at Episkopi which was a great place to be. Half day schooling and down to the beach at Happy Valley at about 2pm...those certainly were the days.

Scouts, Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme and sort of discos are firmly there in my memory too. I seem to remember Chubby Checker (?) Do The Twist being the rage. Blimey.

Being at a British Forces run school I also remember the rather limited careers advice 'What's it to be lad, Army Navy or Air Force'! Not for me, I was saving myself for the Royal Marines along with a good friend, who incidentally I met up with 50 years later!

That's probably enough for now, perhaps mor later.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 95 of 104 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Thanks Trooper. Great memories and great read.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 96 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Hi Trooper,
Nice post. Were you still in Episkopi in 1965 ? I attended Berengaria at this time and I remember the Headmaster as quite a strict fellow. Played every sport going at Happy Valley, what a fabulous place that was.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 97 of 104 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Hi Munchy - I arrived in 1960 March 17 and left in late 1962.

I can't remember much about the staff at Berengaria as was only there for a couple of months but I do remember a Mr Watson but not what subject he taught. He was a really nice guy. The headmaster drove a Morris Oxford which we were mighty impressed with......My father bought his first brand new car in Cyprus, an Austin A40 which he managed to roll on his wayhome from a lunchtime mess do. It must have been quiet a session as two other rockapes pranged their cars within minutes of each other and between them almost filled up the sick quarters!

Before my father was posted to Akrotiri he gave me the choice of staying at school in the uk or going with him to Cyprus. Thank goodness I made the right choice. I probably didn't do as well at school in Cyprus as I might have in the UK but I wouldn't have it any other way if I had my time over again.

When I returned to the uk in 1962 I was struck by how amazingly ignorant my contemporaries were about events outside the UK. I think some of them thought Cyprus was somewhere between Mars and Pluto. Perhaps parochial would be the right word. This of course was a period before mass foreign holidays which may account for some of it.

Finally a great memory was a scout trip camping and skiing in the Troodos and at the end of the skiing we drove down to Ladies Mile and had a swim.....Where's my time machine? I wouldn't mind doing that again. I think I was very lucky and loved almost every minute of my time here in those days.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 98 of 104 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

What else do I remember, well it has to be the Limassol Wine Festiv al!

Given that my friends and I were all about 14-15 it was a great opportunity to drink far too much wine. I think we paid about a shilling to enter and were given an empty bottle and a plastic glass.

There were dozens and dozens of different stalls offering white and red wines from all over the island. No charge, just offer the stallholder the glass or bottle and it would be filled......bloody hell. One year towards the end of the festival the clouds opened and it absolutely poured. No phones then so feeling less than sober we had to run through the monsoon home along the then new bypass. What an evening but at least the rain had sort of sobered us up and didn't get too much grief from the parents.

Thinking of the bypass, does anyone else remember Andy Capps - one of the first big fish and chip shops in Limassol? I don't think I ate there as mum disapproved but it was very popular.

As I think I said before, all this seems to have happened yesterday but of course it is 54 years ago....crikey. Where did it all go?

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 99 of 104 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

So true trooper, The simple pleasures of going to the NAAFI buying ice cold Kean in glass bottles, playing Table Tennis in the club, fighting your way through the hot dunes for the privilage of shoving the girls off the platform moored off Buttons Bay. The lads that went to Ladies Mile were regarded as "sissies" but what a view of Limassol.
On return to the uk, I was quite depressed for a long time with the anti climax of 60s UK.

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 100 of 104 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Something I have just thought about. As a British teenager living in Cyprus I was not aware of any mixing between the Cypriots - whether Greek or Turkish and the British - my friends were entirely fellow Brits. I don't think this was a deliberate apartheidt but suspect language may have been part of it. Of course the island had just passed from the British tothe Cypriots so perhaps there was a colonial attitude too.

If anyone from this era remembers differently I would be interested to hear about it but I don't think there was much of a cross over. Culturally we were worlds apart so maybe that was what it was about.

We lived in a hiring in Limassol with a Greek Cypriot landlord and although we spoke from time to time there was no social contact, nor I think was there any wish for any. As far as the GC's were concerned they had only just stopped murdering the British so why break bread with them?
As for the servicemen themselves I'm sure they wanted nothing to do with them. Times have changed thank goodness.

That's probably it!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”