General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

DOGS DUMPED AT THE KAR OFFICE - a message to the "Owner"

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If the owner is reading this ---- you may like to know (or may not !) that one of the dogs , that was dumped at the KAR Office in Karakum overnight , had managed to break free from its cord and has disappeared. We assume that there was more than 1 dog tied up here and dumped as your note refers to " us" and there is a length of white cord with no dog attached. We have looked all around the office area and cannot find it.This dog may well be trying to find it's way back to you - but it will be scared and has probably lost it's bearings and won't know where it is. We do hope that it is not one of the several calls we have taken this morning about injured dogs in the local vicinity.

The other dog was scared but has been given food and water (she hadn't worked out how to open the bottle of water that was left with her) and is going to receive treatment for her injured foot . She is currently up at the KAR Rescue Centre .

If anyone knows of someone close by (a neighbour maybe) who had at least 2 dogs but since last night no longer has them - 1 was a female black/white Husky with blue eyes - wearing a chain link collar and had a heavy dark green corded lead but NO microchip ! - can you please call the KAR Office on 0533 8694098.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: DOGS DUMPED AT THE KAR OFFICE - a message to the "Owner"

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

And who ever you are, I hope you rot in Hell.!!!

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

How sad, I just hope someday there will be a system in place what to do if things go wrong. KAR is full, vets are not keen to put down a healthy animal and people who would like 1 dog have 3+.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Well, we have had a dog turn up in our little development the night before last. It looks like a cross between a husky and an alsation maybe. The people that do these things really **** me off! It is a nice looking dog, but I don't like dogs, and I have cats. We have already had to fortify our garden to stop the Cypriot neighbours Alsation coming in and ruining the plants. I have no idea if this is the dog that has gone 'missing' from where it was originally dumped, but it would not surprise me. We now have a dilemma of what happens. Obviously there is a temptation to feed it, but we will never get rid of it then, and I certainly won't encourage it. I understand that KAR have more than enough dogs, so unlikely they will take it. So, what happens???? At the moment it appears to have attached itself to one of our neighbours who does not live here all the time, so when she leaves, what happens then, no doubt we will have to deal with it. It is all very well (and I put my tin hat on now), dog lovers taking pity, but what about people like us who do not want crap all the way up the road, and barking dogs roaming round.

topten
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by topten »

mrsgee wrote:Well, we have had a dog turn up in our little development the night before last. It looks like a cross between a husky and an alsation maybe. The people that do these things really **** me off! It is a nice looking dog, but I don't like dogs, and I have cats. We have already had to fortify our garden to stop the Cypriot neighbours Alsation coming in and ruining the plants. I have no idea if this is the dog that has gone 'missing' from where it was originally dumped, but it would not surprise me. We now have a dilemma of what happens. Obviously there is a temptation to feed it, but we will never get rid of it then, and I certainly won't encourage it. I understand that KAR have more than enough dogs, so unlikely they will take it. So, what happens???? At the moment it appears to have attached itself to one of our neighbours who does not live here all the time, so when she leaves, what happens then, no doubt we will have to deal with it. It is all very well (and I put my tin hat on now), dog lovers taking pity, but what about people like us who do not want crap all the way up the road, and barking dogs roaming round.
Its a bit like we dog lovers that have to put up with cats crapping all over our garden, we dare not leave freshly turned over ground when planting, for fear that come morning you have cat crap there.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Thank you for your very educated reply Topten........I accept that you are not a cat lover, so sympathise if your newly turned over ground is being used as a toilet.....at least cats cover up their mess. I was not wishing to start a debate about which is best, simply that we now have a problem that has been dumped on our doorstep.I feel sorry for the dog as I said it is a nice looking one, and does not look very old, but there are too many in the same boat, as KAR have found out, the moron that dumped it should indeed, 'rot in hell'

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Dear mrsgee, please tell your neighbour who is feeding the dog, from me, that she should be commended for showing compassion to a defenceless animal, and placing that animal's welfare over the minor inconvenience of a bit of dog dirt.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Unfortunately, all the compassion in the world does not solve the longer term issue of what exactly do we do with dogs no one wants? As I said, I am not a dog lover, although I would not harm it, I certainly am not going to encourage it.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

There're no right answers on this unfortunately - just opinions. If we try to impose our opinions on others that's when arguments start.

All I will say is that the only victim here is completely innocent and I wish it well.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

We have had this dogs v cats argument before. The fact is people who are irresponsible about cats do not seem to realise they can cause as much aggro to gardeners and dog owners , as irresponsible dog owners do to them. If cat lovers would not keep assuming all dog owners are irresponsible we would not retaliate, but the fact is stray cats encouraged into a residential area make dog training more difficult because of their (the cats ) yowling etc. And remember you can fence a garden to keep dogs out (or in my case in!) but there is no way of keeping cats out. Personally I like all small furry animals but sadly just cant cope with any more, particularly with stray cats encouraging dog barking: but its part of living here, I just have to put up with it as we have to with stray dogs.
's
I sympathise with mrs gee's problem , but those arent in a position to look after an animal properly should not encourage it into a residential area: I believe KAR advise leaving food and water for strays AWAY from houses!

I suspect a lot of the stray problem with Cypriots is the "dog is not just for Christmas" syndrome . They buy a dog because the children want want one, then the kids move onto something else and they are left with an animal which is (increasingly ) expensive and involves a lot of time and effort to keep. Its a pity that not just in Cyprus so often they are encouraged by others to get "Vanity dogs" which are unsuitable to their circumstances and (as inthe case of Huskies) the climate. The Brits can at least set an example by not importing unsuitable breeds.

There is also the situation where through no fault of their own someone is no longer physically able to care for their pets: we should show more compassion and not criticise before we know the facts.

Denise13
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Denise13 »

yes owl lady, but very slowly!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

It really upset me when people get so vicious about abandoned dogs without knowing the circumstances - it makes me think "there but for the Grace of God go my beloved pets". Though in fact it was Cypriot friends who got my dog to the Vet when I was myself too ill to cope, no one else cares about the problems of those who adopt strays. From what little we know the people who left these dogs must have cared a bit , however, misguided and ignorant did their best by leaving them where they would be found.

I have just been reading an appeal from the RSPCA for funds to help stop Dog Fighting (which is deliberate cruelty, not neglect from ignorance, and done purely for profit and sport), with a picture of a dog mangled in a fight. Puts things in perspective.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Just to update you, the one dog that did a runner, found its way back to the KAR office. He's a lovely little (and elderly) wired haired terrier type. An absolute joy, shy, but traumatised and clearly missing his Husky friend.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”