General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

maggie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Oliander bushes

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by maggie »

We have some Oliander bushes. Some of the leaves are seragated something is feeding off them.
They are also not flowering as they should. I have tried spraying them which hasn't helped.
Any advise out there. Thanks

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Oliander bushes

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

A good all round Pestiside is DIDIFOSS 55.
I use this to control most of the beasties we had in our restaurant garden, including the currly leaf thingy's on fruit trees.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

If you've got children or pets, you might consider getting shot of the oleanders as they're extremely poisonous. In fact, I was looking it up as we had oleander bushes in our garden before we got our dogs and it's considered to be on the most poisonous plants in the world. I was quite surprised to read that they're used occasionally in the south to commit suicide. Also dodgy to be near burning branches. Sorry to be off message a bit, it's okay if you're adults on your own, but kids and pets don't mix with this plant.
Do your best to grow old disgracefully.

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

Lantana is also very poisonous, beware of children wanting to pick the berries!

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

We've had lots of oleander plants and lots of dogs mixed together for 8 years without any problem, grandson has played in the garden for the past 9 years without any problem, too. Most plants in the garden are poisonous to one degree or another, lantana e.g. as someone else has mentioned. If you stick to food from the supermarket and don't go around munching your garden plants you should be OK. Also try to avoid throwing yourself off the top of Girne castle as I understand that is quite dangerous too.

kathsj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by kathsj »

Very little eats oleander. Keep your eye open for the Oleander Hawk Moth caterpillar. They are enormous but as they are green difficult to spot. Please don't use pesticide on them

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I too have had Oldander in the garden for a long time and the dogs ignore it, but if you check it on Wilki you will find it frightening. I think it is mainly grazing animals, such as donkey and horses that are most at risk.

Certainly don't burn it and particularly not on a barbecue as the wood gives off toxic fumes.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

It is so easy to become paranoid about some gardening book and the information contained therein. We have been hear 10 years and none of our dogs have paid the slightest interest in the Oleander. Lantamer has such a bad press as well. We have had locals here who will tell you that they used to pick and eat them as children without any problems. However, one did say, don't eat more than 1Kg. day though!!! Like mushrooms and toadstools, if in doubt them don't stick things in your mouth. The Oleander Hawk Moth is absolutely fabulous. We had one two years ago and it was almost 5ins long and the most amazing colour of green.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”