General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Artifical Tiles

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I can't think what else to call it!! You know the sort of stuff you can get in UK to cover the floor of a bathroom or Loo. You can get it all sorts of patterns. I want to get some for a refurbished bathroom. Completely re-tiling would have been a total pain. I'd also need someone to lay it as well!

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Artifical Tiles

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

Do you mean lino
(linoleum)? I haven't seen lino here but never looked ! So hope someone else can help.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I think I know what you mean Sophie: I used a sort of sheet vinyl in a tile pattern for a bathroom floor in England. It was softer and warmer to bare feet in a cold climate and actually easier to clean than tiles. I havent seen it here, but that doesnt mean much as I dont often go into that type of shop. I think I got it from one of the larger national carpet suppliers - maybe you will have to go to the South, but presumably they wouldnt lay here, and I wonder if anyone has to expertise?

Two words of warning: I seem to remember that it needs a very level, even surface to be laid on (the house in England was brand new) so depending on the sort of surface you already have you may spent as much aggro preparing the surface as laying tiles; and secondly anything made of plastic, vinyl etc.(including the fixatives) tend to deteriorate faster here - presumably because of the heat.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks for replies, yes sheet vinyl was what I was trying to describe. No problem about flat floor and yes it's cold tiles in winter that I'm trying to avoid. Back to square one I suspect - fitted carpet.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Yes you do need to lay it on a smooth surface, when we laid it it in the UK we would line the floor with hardboard or thin plywood first if laying on floor boards. Chipboard was OK to lay directly. But I would think your floors here will be tiled, if they are smooth and close joints you can lay direct.

Or if the floor was uneven concrete we would use a latex type screed, or water based, this was simply a powder that you mixed with either water or Latex, and it was a liquid so it would find its own level, (with abit of help from a trowel or squeegee)

It is normally fixed with vinyl adhesive, It was also known as Cushion Floor, Yes I have seen it here or similar, on rolls in a few shops but I cannot recall where.

Good Luck.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Just opposite and left of the little Lemar that used to be Astro is a small shop that sells what you are looking for, they have different types of floor covering.
We had the type you are looking for put in our bathroom, the chap who comes and fitted it maybe the Son. It is a very good job with small bracket strips at the dood to stop it foldinginwards.
This we had done a number of years ago and in time the tiles underneath leave an impresion, so it needs changing about every 5 years.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”