Over 60 - Do I Need To Go South Every 90 Days?

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

johnerebus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Over 60 - Do I Need To Go South Every 90 Days?

•   Message 1 of 42 in Discussion

Post by johnerebus »

I've heard it said that as I'm over 60 I no longer need to go South to have my passport stamped on my return to the North for another 90 day stay. Can anyone definitely confirm this please? Thanks.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Over 60 - Do I Need To Go South Every 90 Days?

•   Message 2 of 42 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

I asked on another post this question but I assume over 60's get the same stamp as people with work permits, residency or citizenship, Surely if days are stated and the gentleman's agreement finishes without ones knowledge one could be liable for a fine if your visa states 90 days and you have not left the country once this period ends. I personally would be very concerned having an expired 90 day visa and driving.

fatsam
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 42 in Discussion

Post by fatsam »

Its true you don't need residency visa if you are over 60.
I would suggest you either go to the local police station either in Girne, Lefkosa or Farmagosts and seek definite answers.
Alternatively, you take your passport with you and go to the Immigration in Lefkosia and seek clarification and answers from the officers their. The officers are very good and the department has English speaking staff.

Yes you can get the 90 days visa "boarder crossing", but do you want to travel every time your visa near expiry.

Get the answers from the officials. be safe than sorry

fatsam

fatsam
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 42 in Discussion

Post by fatsam »

In the case of a married couple living in the TRNC where one only is over the age of 60, here, both are required to have full residency visa and pay hefty fees.
Say your partner is 59 and you are 62, you than both are required to fill residency application and go through the process which includes blood test, injections, etc., etc., all done at Girne police station. You don't need to do the blood test "its not a requirement for over 60".

Still I suggest you double check directly with the immigration. Do this before your residency / visa expires.

fatsam

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Everyone should check with the requisite authorities for clarifications of any ryuling to do with TRNC/visitors etc etc.

However, I cannot agree about 'hefty fees'. The visa here is NOTHING compared to what one might pay in other countries and really works out to a few lira a week, - less than people spend on a cup of coffee or a pint of beer.

It is always advisable to find out as a foreigner as to what the rules are and stick to them.

I am sure that immigration in Lefkosia will tell anyone. Better there than to the police station.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Been to renew ours today,both over 60.Cost 1000TL for 2 years + a couple stamps.Works out around 4.8TL per week.Can also dot it for one year.We asked a senior immigration officer to see if we ought to renew being over 60,he recommended we did for various reasons.Will not go into those on here,leave it to persons to do the research & make their own decisions.

owl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 42 in Discussion

Post by owl »

Regardless of your age or 'border top-ups', I remember reading that you can only stay a total maximum of 180 days per year as a visitor.

Anyone know if that is still the case?

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 42 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

owl.
This is the case in Turkey were expats who do not take out residence must leave after 180 days and spend 180 days out.
This is not the case in the TRNC as stated before, you can cross the border and take a chance on how many days they give you when you return.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius 551-479 BC

ham on brown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 42 in Discussion

Post by ham on brown »

karmels wrote:owl.
This is the case in Turkey were expats who do not take out residence must leave after 180 days and spend 180 days out.
This is not the case in the TRNC as stated before, you can cross the border and take a chance on how many days they give you when you return.
How do you know how many days they give you??

Bruiser
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Bruiser »

All relevant information is available on the BRS website.

Shell232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Shell232 »

I would suggest contacting Citizens Advise in Karakum, they deal with these type of questions regularly.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 42 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Bruiser.
It is up to the immigration officer on duty, there is no fixed time they are obliged to give you.
Your in's and out's are stored on the computer, if they think you are using this to stay in the North ( if you are under 60 ) they may only give you as little as 3 days and tell you to go to immegration.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 42 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Karmels, be careful there. The law changed in Turkey in April of this year and has just changed again! The biggest and best change is that people who retire in Turkey no longer need to have private health insurance to gain the retirement visa!!! http://www.expatforum.com/turkey is an interesting read if you wish to follow the Turkey law, which by the way is always reflected in the TRNC law about 3 years later on!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 42 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

waddo.
Having spent the last 6 years in Turkey every summer I know the law, we are in the process of purchasing a house at the moment for our summer holidays, as we are TRNC citizens we do not come under the expat unbrella, only our car must leave after 180 days.
At the moment in time expat who do not register for residency are only allowed 180 days in any one year, and must leave for 180 days. This also applies to you car same ruling. You may come and go in one year untill you have reached 180 days then you must leave.
The medical cover for expats is 250 TL per month per couple, for this you must be a resident but it give you full state medical cover in the state hospitals, we will have to pay this if we choose to take residency other wise we have to pay as you do in the TRNC.
Expats who buy a car in Turkey are given a numberplate with the prefix M in the middle this tell the police that you are an expat.
A slight different piece of info, is when you arrive at the point of entry, in my case Tasacu you must decide on how may months you will be in Turkey and pay for the insurance, in our case we pay 4 months, BUT we have to take the car out before this time is up, there is no way to extend the insurance, but you can return and do this until your 180 days are up.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 42 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Sorry waddo, I forgot to mention the compulsory medical cover, this was change while we were in Turkey last year. The only problem is if you choose to join later it is back dated. You can choose to pay for medical treatment instead , but as here it is very expencive. I had to go to hospital 2 years ago, 50 TL to register, 50 TL to see the doctor, then 50 TL for each thing you needed like exray, perscription, or dressings.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 42 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Hi Karmels, Thanks for even more info on Turkey. I was only looking at the new laws for those over 65 - you get like that when you are old I guess - so the medical insurance part of my last only applies to that! If you are buying property in Turkey are you planning to live there full time and if so would it not have been easier to have applied for long term residence instead of jumping in and out every 180 days? Sure when I was reading through the new laws early this year there was something about how many times you could do that as well but that may have been about tourists - at the time the new laws were released nobody had a clue how they would work and it really reminded me of here - lol. Also note that the good old Gov.Uk site is not of any great help but that is a norm. Still like to follow the Turkish law changes and then guess how long it is before they are re-invented here!!! Thanks again.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 42 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

HI waddo. We are buying for holidays at the moment, it is difficult to find somewere to rent for 4 months as they prefare to eather rent long term or weekly for tourist the latter is verry expensive.
We do not need residency as we Have TRNC citizenship, Kimlik card plus TRNC passport which is need for us to take the car to Turkey, we do not pay the visa charges.
Some more info on living or buying in Turkey for expats.
1. Expats can only but in a Belidere ( spelling ) controled area. Not a Jandarm controlled area.
2. After 5 years with residency you can apply for a Kimlik card but you will need to sit an exam in Turkish.
A Jandarm area is normaly villages out side the Belidere area consisting of towns and villages, mostly away from the coast or tourist areas.
Any TRNC citizen can buy land or property any were in Turkey. There is one jandarm area I know expats live, that is Anamour were the water is comming from, but I don't know the rules for this area, it is a holiday place like Girne.
Turkey is split up into Provinces and each has its own car reg, ie Antalya 07, Mersin 33, Istanbul 34. ect, Mersin Province stretches to Anamour. then you enter Antalya, so from one town which has 33 as it's car number when you drive into the next big village going towards Antalya you see 07.the probem with this is to do goverment docs you have to visit the Provincal Capital, but after that you can go to the nearest large city, in our case Alanya to do your docs.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 42 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Sorry for taking this post off thread.

the butlers wife
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 42 in Discussion

Post by the butlers wife »

We are both over 60 and have chosen not to renew our residency. (Our Choice) The last time we went over the border
at Ledra Street, I got 90 days and they did not write anything on my husbands stamp. When he queried this, he was told
by the officer and policeman standing close by "You don't need to come over to get your stamp, you can stay in the TRNC
as long as you like, you are over 60 and our guest"

The butlers wife

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Butlerswife I havnt renewed mine this year and as yet havnt tried crossing over. Was there any hassle when you crossed back from the greek side or did you just say I am over 60? I assume nothing was said when you were leaving TRNC? I am a bit wary of doing it the first time on my own!

johnerebus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 42 in Discussion

Post by johnerebus »

Thanks for all of your replies. I have another issue I'm currently pursuing with Pembe at the CAB and will ask her about the 90 day stay as suggested. I'll post the information she gives me on Kibkom. Thanks again. John

johnerebus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 42 in Discussion

Post by johnerebus »

At the CAB I was told there's no longer any need to have my passport stamped every 90 days as I'm over 60. If any official queries what they may consider an infringement of the rules just point out the date of birth on your passport and all will be well.

Agobard
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Agobard »

A friend - over 60 - left recently from Ercan airport and was asked why she didn't have residency. She pointed out that she was over 60 and didn't need it. The guy laughed - he hadn't noticed her date of birth - and said ' no of course you don't need - you old lady now'!

fatsam
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 42 in Discussion

Post by fatsam »

"johnerebus" your comments about the cab and airports are very interesting & I am inclined to accept it.
Regardless of cost of residency legally and by law you are over 60 and do not need residency stamp in you passport, The officials should not advice you otherwise.
Shame, I have my residency renewed this year, however, I intend to skip the stamp in two years time.

fatsam

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 42 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Why is it that everyone seems to worry about spending 250TL a year on residency but nobody seems to give a hoot about how legal you may be if you are driving without having a residency stamp in your passport? Go ask the police if your Turkish license is still legal if you have no residency stamp in your passport - the answer may surprise you.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Spot on Waddo.

fatsam
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 42 in Discussion

Post by fatsam »

When you are in Rom act as the Romans and expect to be treated as the Romans.
Comparing cost is imperative, whether its a lira or hundreds of liras, the point is I am well off, and I can afford cost of living. If I was told cost of something is "££ / tl tl" I immediately pay.
However, there are others who've been ill-advised, as a result they paid "unnecessary fees & unfair"..... "Its like payment for something you shouldn't have paid for to start off with.
Over 60 and does not require residency permit / stamp, therefore should not be made to pay THIS IN MY OPINION, AN ULTIMATE DECEPTION.

Check with the Police, Immigration, British consulate, BRS
fatsam

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 42 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

I was strongly lead it was not law only a gentleman's agreement therefore people are not being asked to pay for something they shouldn't. It is up the the individual to make the choice, unfortunately things like driving licences state residency is required hence law.
Hopefully the BRS will persuade the government to make it law, anyone know why they won't the dog licence was passed quick enough.
still no answer which stamp the over 60's get when they cross any border

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Why so cryptic waddo just tell us the answer please.

karmels
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 42 in Discussion

Post by karmels »

Deniz1.
I thinks what waddo is trying to say is it is not law, the TRNC changes every Goverment we get but they fail to inform the expats of the changes.
The BRS as a long standing foundation here can not get the answers from the Govermant as they are not interested in changing the laws for expats who on this forum critise the TRNC, the forum is not in any way to blame for this, as it happens also in the expat local paper as well, which is read by the press office in Lefcosia.
If you choose to live in the TRNC you should abide by the laws, the law states you must get perminent residency after 90 days, and until the law says over 60s don't need to do it???? enough said.
It will all end in tears one day.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 42 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Karmels, you will now be informed but you can renew with a Muhtars letter but again the driving licence people are NOT the law as Waddo has indicated which may make your driving licence invalid.
Again its an individual's choice , one I personally wouldn't take as the advice my Father gave when we chose to come out here to live 17 years after he made the move 'Just remember they are not stupid, lazy maybe but you will be surprised how much they know about you when or if the occasion rises. Very wise words

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 42 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I am not being cryptic! I have given up trying to prove to readers that the law is the law when some readers refuse to find out for themselves but are happy to believe hearsay. Who enforces the law in any country? The police - check requirements with them is all I am saying. Or not, it is up to you! Don't blame the Government for not telling you when they change a law here, when was the last time the UK Government advised every UK citizen that they had changed their laws?

If you want to live here and abide by the laws of the land then go to the people that enforce them and find out, simple.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Waddo,

Whether you are right or wrong is not the point. Its everyone's choice to renew or not, if they don't as we haven't, then we take the responsibility if things change however, we have not had any problems to date either going South or leaving the country. The officials don't bat an eyelid, in fact they have a laugh when you point it out that you are over 60.

wibow
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 42 in Discussion

Post by wibow »

Just want to say

That we know a friend who hasnt re-newed his residency

AND he had no problem re-newing his driving licence

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Clearly,all border staff are not clear on this "over 60" law! We crossed last evening taking a friend to LCA,were asked for residency stamp.Said over 60,reply was makes no difference!!!! Someone needs to clarify this that's for sure! We have passport sleeves,he made us take them out to see stamp!!

gilly123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 42 in Discussion

Post by gilly123 »

What is a passport sleeve?? Is it the white paper? Wouldn't have thought so because then we would be back to the 90 day stamp.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 37 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

gilly123 wrote:What is a passport sleeve?? .......
It's a folder that you use to keep your passport in, to protect it.

A bit like a 'Bus pass holder' - a lot of us over 60's have 'em

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 42 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mollie/Wibow. Good I am happy for you all.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 42 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Becker wrote:Clearly,all border staff are not clear on this "over 60" law!(:|
so it is law, oh well I understand now, sorry its taken so long!

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Maybe I should have worded "assumption" rather than law!!!

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 42 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

Our residency is due in February so thought I would test this out beforehand as my husband had a new passport which did not contain his residency stamp, the old one I left in the car.

When I went through I asked about coming back in without a residency stamp in the other passport and she said "you are both over 60, you no longer need the stamp, there will be no problems"

So coming back I just presented Howard's new passport and my own, Mine was stamped but the border guard asked where the residency stamp was for Howard. I said "we do not need it now we are both over 60 and he would not accept that so I had to go to the car and get the old passport with the residency stamp. He refused to communicate further. Note: this was not a new person, we have seen him several times before.

More confused than ever now. How can we ever throw away the old passport? How would we dare not do residency?

Any information anyone?

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

suehowlittle, maybe he wanted to see the old passport because the old number will be the number they have in the system for the ins and outs. Even though the immigration officials tell you that you do not need to renew residency they will still clock you in and out of the country otherwise anyone could just walk across saying they are over 60.

Geoff.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”