General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Fleece Blankets

•   Message 1 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Can anyone help with gifting fleece blankets, old waterproof seat cushion covers, Helping Animals North Cyprus are making coats for the strays. Old jumpers, Sweatshirts, Towels will also be handy.
I am at Pinepay tomorrow, there will be a red cover on the table so you will know where to gift your items.
If you cant get to Pine bay, (or the weather prevents us from going) please send me a pm with your number and I will try to collect.
I could've put this under charity, pets or wanted, but couldn't make my mind up Thank you

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Fleece Blankets

•   Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

With the greatest respect for your concern for the animals , and subject to correction from someone more expert, is this really a good idea

Are these dogs strays or are they under cover...? Because if they are wandering and get caught in a heavy rainstorm and no one around to change the coat , even if the coats are waterproof backed, they will get waterlogged and cling to the dogs body and take longer to dry out than the dog's natural coat nor will the dog's automatic reaction to being wet (havent you ever had a wet dog shake itself over you?) work with these fabrics. I used to put one of my dogs in a waterproof coat (although actually it was more for visibility) but rain ran under it and soaked his naturally water resilient coat , and it did not protect his more susceptible undercarriage.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Thank you for your concern. the dogs are in a compound and in shelters within the compound, kennels etc, but we still don't have enough bedding etc, some of them are lying on the concrete, if your on fb go to the patti paws page and you will see for yourself

Shell232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Shell232 »

Hi

I used to work in the UK training dogs and the vet advice even with UK cold and wet winters is to not put coats on dogs as it damages their coats and skin.

Are you able to find another way around keeping the dogs warm and dry without putting them in coats.

Not easy with limited resources I know.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Thank you both for your comments, I have passed them on to the Lady who is asking for materials for coats.
2 puppies dies through the cold and wet, one last night and the other at the vets today. Maybe a warm fleece jacket might of saved them, I don't know. I just know that they need shelter and to get off the concrete floors. You may have seen the other appeals for help I have posted today, and thankfully, we are getting some help from kind hearted people. Tomorrow we are hoping that 10 kennels will be at Famagusta, that will at least give some of the dogs shelter, hopefully the pallets will arrive on Monday to get the dogs of the concrete. Your right Shell with limited resources things are a struggle. With the Tarpaulin sheets they can cover some of the wooden structures that are built to help repel the water. Lor

Toftsv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Toftsv »

Lor51 - we will be over soon enough and will help as much as possible. I am saving all our old bedding and towels etc and will try and see if we can pick up some blankets to bring over to you. I cant bear the thought of them poor dogs being cold & that. You are doing a wonderful job at this difficult time but it will all be worth it. You are amazing people.

Be in touch very very soon. Can you pm me with your number so I can contact you on Monday when we arrive there.

xxxx

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Thank you Toftsv, I have pm'd you with my number and also that of Moyra and Wendy, as you arrive I will be going for 3 weeks, but will meet you when I get back, have a safe trip

Toftsv
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Toftsv »

No problem. I will contact them early next week.

Thank you & see you soon

x

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

I saw an animal rescue programme on TV a while back where dogs were living in cold and wet conditions. The advice was to use straw in the shelters as it allows the wet to disperse helping the animals to keep dry and warm.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Thanks for that info JoandJelly, I will pass that on to the girls in Famagusta. Next question is does anyone know where we can get straw from. Thanks

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

Old sunbed cushions (the waterproof ones) would be perfect. Instead of just chucking them out please think about the animals who could sleep on them.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Sue they are perfect, we have already managed to get 15 or so to them, and they are perfect. So yes, if anyone has any, please don't throw them out, send me a pm and we will collect them. Just want to say thanks for the advice that I have been given and the help received. It is appreciated very much by us all.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Hi Lor51 did they manage to get any more kennels?

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Do you have anywhere west side for donations to be dropped off?

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Owl Lady .They got 2 more, but the ones that a deal had been arranged with over the phone turned out to be very poor quality and wouldn't have lasted 6 months, so they are in talks at the moment,

Maisiemoo, The Black Olive at Alsanjack, The DVD shop at Catalkoy, Moyra lives at Kayala so can collect that side, I can also collect from Catalkoy side

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Just had a thought, Michael Lain husband of mad animal lover Karen makes sheds ,fences etc, advertises in small ads of Cyprus today, May be he would be able to help, or donate wood or some materials. 0533 866 8381/0533 865 5203.Carole

bigbadbob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

Post by bigbadbob »

Thanks oh! wise Owl Lady. Anything or anybody is worth a try. Sarah , one of the 'Angels' at Famagusta has just messaged to say the Mum has lost another puppy. She is now down to four now. Another puppy Sarah found yesterday when checking on them laid with one of its legs injured. She took it home, warmed it up and had it to the vets this morning! The weather is really against them at the moment but between us all we will give them all the help we can.
Thanks everyone who has helped so far and if there is anyone else ?
Wendy BBB's other half.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Owl Lady an update on the kennel situation is, I am pleased to say, that 20 Kennels have been ordered, 6 large and 14 medium. 3 more have been donated. The Famagusta girls are so very grateful for all the help that they have received. Lor

bigbadbob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

Post by bigbadbob »

Hello everyone! Nice to be back on the forum! Abit late notice maybe for some but we have cars meeting up in Lefkosia with the girls from Famagusta , on Tuesday.
If there is anyone with any gifts for them, that is old bedding, cushions,towels,bath mats, curtains,old dog beds, bowls you name it we will take it! Basically anything that can be used to bring some warmth and care to the dogs and puppies in the pound. We will try and collect east and west of Kyrenia and also the Black Olive, Alsancak and DVD Shop, Catalkoy have kindly given their permission for gifts to be dropped off with them. So there is no confusion, could you please say it is for Famagusta, Thank you on behalf of the four legged
sweethearts that you will be helping.
You can message me on here or send a private message if you prefer!

Wendy BBB's Other Half.

vickyfidd
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Post by vickyfidd »

What about wooden crates

bigbadbob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

Post by bigbadbob »

If their is the kind Lady reading this that offered to gift Tarpaulin Sheets last week, would you please contact me as we have no telephone number for you as we think that thread got removed! Also wooden crates we are sure would come in very useful. thank you
Wendy BBB's Other Half.

Bethany
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Bethany »

Please can anyone give directions to Famagusa dog compound. My friend and I would like to go over to help the girls but have no idea where it is. We will take spare blankets etc with us. hoping to go this Sunday.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Hi Some one has already posted on here they will pm you with directions, rather than post oh the forum.so no more strays dumped!!
Found it! "help needed at Famagusta compound" Bigbadbob has postedon behalf of Lor51 that he has sent you a pm!!! Any problem Pm me for his number .Carole

Bethany
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Bethany »

I have received no private message so still no idea of how to get to famagusa compound. Please help as we really want to lend a hand and will take any bits and bobs we have with us.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Bethany wrote:I have received no private message so still no idea of how to get to famagusa compound. Please help as we really want to lend a hand and will take any bits and bobs we have with us.
Lor51

Message subject: Re: Help Needed Famagusta Compound

Folder: Inbox, Sent messages

Sarahs number is 0533 8320174, or if you wish to give me your number I can pass it on to her. I am in Canada at the moment so cant help much. Thanks again

Sent: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:55 pm
View message
Hi Bethany, the above is the message that I sent you, its not in my outbox, but as you can see I did send it. You have Sarahs number so you can find out the details from her. Thanks Lor

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Bethany, did you manage to get to the compound at Famagusta?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If anyone goes up there with items and the volunteers are not there, what happens then? Is it always better to make a phone call first?

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Hi Sophie, Yes it is always better to call first, Sarah is the first point of call for the Famagusta compound and has no problems with people calling her to offer help/gifts etc for the animals.
For anyone wanting to give gifts for the Famagusta compound, and you cant make the journey, Helping Animals North Cyprus (facebook page) are making regular trips and can collect. Thanks

Chrispyb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

Post by Chrispyb »

BTTT
Winter is coming, if you can help please do so.

bigbadbob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

Post by bigbadbob »

Hello. BBB's Other Half here, again. Sorry to have to ask but would there be any kind person with a large vehicle who could transport three kennels for the dogs and puppies at Famagusta? They are too big to get in any of our cars, we have tried. They have been gifted by people Alsancak/Lapta way and would need picking up from that area. We could try and arrange a meeting with Sarah and co: in Lefkosia if she can sort out transport her side! Just desperate to get these over to where they are most needed! We will be having a meet probably next week and taking all other gifted items (blankets, bedding, towels, dog beds, collars, bowls, cushions you Name It - virtually anything you were going to Bin - the girls will make it work for the care and comfort of the puppies and dogs) If you have had a sort out recently - please !!!

ailletoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

Post by ailletoo »

Hi there, could someone PM me directions to Famagusta as well please. I have some stuff to bring there and can offer one day a week to help out there. (except Tuesdays)

Email: [email protected].

Thank you.

bigbadbob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

Post by bigbadbob »

Have forwarded your email address onto Sarah who I am sure will be in touch asap. as they are desperate for help with the puppies and dogs there.
Thank you for your kind offer - Wendy BBB's other half.

bigbadbob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 33 in Discussion

Post by bigbadbob »

Ailletoo would you please check your emails as Sarah has confirmed she has replied to you a few minutes ago! How is that for rapid response! - Wendy.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”