General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

squashmad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Has anyone renewed their British passport

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by squashmad »

Has anyone recently renewed their passport from the TRNC?

What is the current charge for a new passport?

What is the cost via DHL (Cafe Boss)?

How long did it take (considering the current problems with the passport office in UK)?

Thanks

crofter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Has anyone renewed their British passport

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by crofter »

Yes I have recently sent mine off via DHL and that was 7 weeks ago! I am tracking it but all I see so far is that it has been received in Belfast and there is no further information. I can wait until September for it to come back and if it has not arrived by then I shall need to go to the British Embassy for papers to let me fly.

The application form was completed online and the cost was 102.86GBP for an Adult and 72.86 for a child. Cannot remember the DHL cost for Cafe Boss to send it.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

My wife renewed hers 1year+ ago.Cafe Boss was either 30 or 34 Euro's.When we tracked it,it went from Belfast to Liverpool & was delivered direct to our door,took around 6 weeks as we had made a mistake on form & had to resend.Afriend I spoke to in UK yesterday said there is a heavy backlog of applications.(30k) when he went to get renewal form from PO.No idea if that affects Ex-pats.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Mine is due for renewal in 2020,do you think the backlog will be cleared by then?

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

crofter wrote:Yes I have recently sent mine off via DHL and that was 7 weeks ago! Cannot remember the DHL cost for Cafe Boss to send it.
I sent mine off with DHL about 6 weeks ago ... and it took a very unimpressive 10 days (sent on Friday, June 6th, some time in afternoon and arrived 09:51 on Monday, June 16th) to go from their Lefkoşa office to the Belfast passport office. They charged me 100TL, which is about the same as Becker paid at Cafe Boss.
crofter wrote: I am tracking it but all I see so far is that it has been received in Belfast and there is no further information.
I too am tracking it and the application status has just changed from "Awaiting information from applicant" to "Being Processed" ... which I suppose is a positive development ... albeit slight.
Becker wrote:A friend I spoke to in UK yesterday said there is a heavy backlog of applications.(30k) when he went to get renewal form from PO.No idea if that affects Ex-pats.
Unfortunately overseas applications are likely to take longer than those made from the UK ... according to the below June 10th report ... "significantly longer"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatn ... aches.html
Owl Lady wrote: Mine is due for renewal in 2020,do you think the backlog will be cleared by then?
Yes
Last edited by iancrumpy on Sun 13 Jul 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Guess that depends if they close the immigration route!

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

If you live overseas I believe you can extend a passport by 12 months by visiting the British Consulate in the country you reside in.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Ref msg 7 above, have you tried to speak to the BHC about this, even the few days/hours they are at their desks?

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Maisiemoo wrote:If you live overseas I believe you can extend a passport by 12 months by visiting the British Consulate in the country you reside in.

If an application has already been made for a renewal you cannot apply for an extension.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/addi ... t-passport
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

squashmad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by squashmad »

Thank you everyone for the information.

I think with the current situation in UK with the backlog of passport applications I will get in touch with the BHC in Nicosia and get an extension, this seems to be both the safest and easiest option.

Tojo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Tojo »

I sent my passport renewal via Café Boss/DHL, it arrived in Belfast on the 17/06/14. How can I track it beyond this point with the Passport Office. Thanks

peri
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by peri »

Hi, sent off our passports in April start of processing 8 May & received back 9 weeks later at Cafe Boss. When I spoke to Belfast office to chase up was just told I should have applied earlier & not to book flights in near future !

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Tojo wrote:I sent my passport renewal via Café Boss/DHL, it arrived in Belfast on the 17/06/14. How can I track it beyond this point with the Passport Office.
Hi Tojo,
Minutes after you made your online application you should have received an automatic email from the passport office. In that email they gave you a link ( https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/) together with a username and password. On the web page click on log in, just below returning user? ... and then enter the username and password they gave you.
Squashmad wrote: I think with the current situation in UK with the backlog of passport applications I will get in touch with the BHC in Nicosia and get an extension, this seems to be both the safest and easiest option.
With our applications underway, unfortunately, as Dalartokat pointed out, this is not an option for Crofter, Tojo and myself

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

Be careful of relying on passport extensions as I've seen reports that a lot of countries won't accept them.
Do your best to grow old disgracefully.

squashmad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by squashmad »

And a lot do, here is a list as posted on the 11th July 2014
Attachments
Countries that will accept passports with 12 month extensions- 11 July 2014.doc
(115 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”