General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

metin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Anyone back from Bon Giovi Concert ????

•   Message 1 of 29 in Discussion

Post by metin »

What were they like, and how were the 2 supporting bands ???
Couldn't go, as I was working.........want to know all about it......

Barbieb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Anyone back from Bon Giovi Concert ????

•   Message 2 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Barbieb »

I am back, Bon Giovi were a great band so well done All Stars Agency and Ahmet and Mechelle, think everyone had a great night, shame you missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!

metin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 29 in Discussion

Post by metin »

Thanks Barbie. Glad it was a success .

Chrispyb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Chrispyb »

Yes, and we had a great night, but, I have to say that I thought that the drum duet and snakebite were the best of the night. The light show was also very good. My partner and I would gladly go and see Snakebite perform again, not so sure about the "main act" imho

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Thought the support acts acts were good and Bon Giovi were excellent.
Actually hated the strobe light effects as it triggers my Menieres attacks, so spent a lot of time with closed eyes!
Loved the music but thought the atmosphere was better at the Desperado Eagles.

mickyron
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 29 in Discussion

Post by mickyron »

Yes we agree, the lighting was a little o.t.t. for people that dont often go to rock gigs it came as a surprise.
My only gripe is that the bar ran out just as the main act was about to start and there was no food apart from crisps.

Floradora
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Floradora »

We went to support charitable causes and had a fun night out but have to say agree with Chrispyb..... snakebite were superb please, please put on your own full concert we will definitely support you! You guys were absolutely fantastic and we really loved the Muse start.

Thanks to everyone for all their hard work in putting together a really great and successful show!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

mickyron wrote:Yes we agree, the lighting was a little o.t.t. for people that dont often go to rock gigs it came as a surprise.
My only gripe is that the bar ran out just as the main act was about to start and there was no food apart from crisps.
Those who drank the bar dry are probably just back now....

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

I have to agree with chrispyb and Flora, I enjoyed all 3 bands, but for me Snakebite were outstanding, and I would go to just see them play. I don't have any gripes, we ate before we went, we took our own seat pads, took our own water, wine and beer, and even loo roll, ( which we didn't need) . Danced the night away, and 3 bands for 50TL proceeds going to charity, what else can you say. Well done to all who sold and bought the tickets, gave up their free time for the past few months, and put on a good show.
Did anyone go to the after party? if so, how was that.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Just want to say how amazing I think James Gray is, that young lad, played guitar and sang for his own band, then did that fantastic drum duet with Barry Snakes (and didn't Barry do well to keep up with a youngster:)) and then did the drumming for Snakebite. I hope one day he is in the right place at the right time to meet that someone who will sign him up for stardom.

squashmad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 29 in Discussion

Post by squashmad »

It was a good night but in all honesty we primarily went to see Bon Giovi. By the time all 3 bands had finished we were sore from sitting on the steps (even with cushions)for 5 hours, we really wish we had turned up a little later.

A little too long in my view, and others by the look of it as they were walking out as they were fed up of waiting for Bon Giovi to come on. Next time, maybe one support band and a main act would be sufficient.

There must have been in the region of 800-1000 people in attendance and never ceases to amaze me that the Belediye do not see the financial benefits of keeping the drinks and food area open from beginning to end of these events. No wonder people take their own drinks etc into the event if the Belediye cannot guarantee even opening, they do not seem to see that they would make money out of this!

I sincerely hope that the charities receive some funds out of this event especially Tulips as the 'girls' were all seen to be working cintinuously throughout the entire event.

dynamic
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 29 in Discussion

Post by dynamic »

Personally we also paid to see the main act Bon Giovi. The other two acts seemed to go on for ages. All for showcasing new talent but maybe when things were already late, time could of been cut. The bar may not of run out, if it had been a reasonable time of night to watch the headline act. We were happy to pay the money and support the charities and we thought Bon Giovi were excellent. Not good however that due to the late hour lots of people left well before Bon Giovi had finished.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Squashmad and Dynamic fully agree with you. We said if to each other at the event. We arrived later after a meal and thought It would be about time for Bon Giovi to perform. Wrong! All for new talent but shorter sets would have been better and they were already running late before they inserted the drum extra showcase.
Sad to see so many people leaving halfway through but I can understand why. I could not have stood the lights for the three and a quarter hours before Bon Giovi appeared.
Have they published the charity takings yet? Hope the two charities concerned have their coffers boosted well from the event as the Tulips girls were working hard.

sofasogood
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 29 in Discussion

Post by sofasogood »

We had a fantastic night thought The Renegades were great i was amazed at the talent of these youngster and Snakebite and Bon Giovi were fantastic an amazing night at a fantastic venue all for 50tl so well done all of those who organised this event hope there is more to come.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 29 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

I too thought the 2 support bands were very good and enjoyed them, BUT, I went to see Bon Jovi, who I thought were excellent - so much energy from the singer.

Everything was running about an hour late, so the show did not finish until around 1230. Bon Jovi came to TRNC specifically to perform for this gig, so it was sad to see people leaving from around 1130, with significant gaps appearing in the audience.

The solution, in my humble opinion is to build in some flexibility so that in the event that the show is running late, supporting acts can be shortened - both were very good, but could have come off earlier. Also, the drum solo (very good) and the 2 people invited up from the audience to perform was, in my opinion, self indulgence, and should have been sacrificed to get Bon Jovi on earlier.

Finally, the lighting! I thought it was OTT. I would have preferred less strobing, and more light on the performers - the stage was in near darkness for Bon Jovi!

This is NOT meant to be a rant, but constructive criticism. Bottom line is that I DID enjoy all 3 acts, but did not expect the show to go on as long as it did. I opted out of the After Show Party at Almond despite having tickets, because it became evident that it would be a very late affair.

saldean

•   Message 16 of 29 in Discussion

Post by saldean »

I don't think any event or organisiner can win with you whinging over expectant experts at everything you "don't" do. If the concert was too long.. you moan. If it was too short.. you moan. If the lighting was too much.. you moan. If the lighting was non existent.. you moan. If there were 3 bands for just 50TL.. you moan. If there was just one band.. you moan. However, I was one who left before Bon Giovi for the simple reason that I do not particularly enjoy their music. It was my choice along with others as they (in my honest opinion) target the female audiences. Me and my family went to see the support acts to encourage music from local people young and old and enjoyed what we saw and heard immensely.
No matter what we all had a fabulous evening and were very pleased we went. Thank you the organisers roll on the next event for the moaners to get their hands on. Sal

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Saldean everyone is entitled to express their own opinions and no one, myself included have whinged, just offered thoughts and constructive advice.

The lights and in particular the strobes can trigger epilepsy as well as Menieres.
As a Menieres sufferer I know they affected me, I have been to many gigs in the UK and abroad and yes lighting effects when used sensibly are dramatic but on Saturday it was overkill, especially the strobes.
If I knew in advance that the lights would be that overused again then I would not attend future gigs at the amphitheatre.

The Desperado Eagles provided a great concert, but without the over use of strobes.

If you had any medical condition triggered by flashing lights you might have a bit more patience and understanding without reverting to moaners and whingers as your adjectives of choice.

My final comment, as stated earlier, all the bands were good and Bon Giovi were excellent.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 29 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Well said Panchocat.

Dizzyrascal
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Dizzyrascal »

We had a fantastic night and thought the whole event was extremely well organised and the support bands were amazing. We went not for Bon Giovi (we don't like their music) but to support the charities and the event itself and there was no disappointment. The two families next to us left as Bon Giovi came on not because of the wait but because they didn't want to see them not being fans of the music and just wanted to support the others, so I don't think we can assume that everyone left due to sore bums from waiting. The event was always billed as having 3 bands and yes ok it started slightly late and there was some over run which is not unusual when dealing with events such as these I've been to big name concerts in UK and waited well over an hour past the headline start time for the headliner who has been late on stage for various reasons. The organisers done well and didn't close the gates (unlike previous events) so you could enter later if you wished.
We were happy that we certainly got value for money an extra hour of superb music is a bonus not often you get given more than what you paid for in North Cyprus, could understand it if you got less than what you were paid for but you got more!!! Next time the bum goes sore from sitting best cure is to get up dance.

The light show was fantastic it gave the night a full concert atmosphere and feel, not one complaint from us. When's the next one? It's about time there were events with a bit of life and we would def go see those support bands and pay to see them.
Last edited by Dizzyrascal on Tue 15 Jul 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bestseller
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Bestseller »

We also had a great night how amazing were The Renegades average age 15 and to support a major tribute band also Snakebite and Bon Giovi were also great but we also went not for Bon Giovi but to support 2 local bands at a great venue for a charity event but also spoke to many people who have been in the shop saying they went only for Bon Giovi and enjoyed the other 2 bands just as much.
Would love to see more events like this in the future and a big well done to asap

Deborah

saldean

•   Message 21 of 29 in Discussion

Post by saldean »

Panchocat without any sarcasm or rudeness intended, how did I know you would praise The Desperado's concert ? I went to that also, and as you say, everyone has the right to their opinion. The first 3 songs were a disaster with the sound all over the place. The lighting was uneventful possibly due to there were hardly any lights there, and the sound died for at least half an hour until they pressed a button and on it came again. Yes I can see your point a great night I for one couldn't stop laughing. Try to see the "Illegal Eagles" undoubtedly the best eagles tribute band. Sal

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Saldean you miss the point entirely, my comment was about the use or overuse of strobes which in a lot of countries have their use limited for health and safety reasons. The lights were great, the strobes were not IMHO.

As to the Illegal Eagles I have no need to, having seen the real Eagles in New York, San Fransisco, Los Angeles and London. I used the Desperados as an example of fun without without strobe related flashouts.
Yes sound was lost but the audience loved it and sang along with them and there was a light show but no strobes.
And masses didn't walk out, as they were doing on Saturday for various reasons.

All credit to the organisers and I know over 800 tickets were sold on Saturday, I enjoyed the music and the lights but the strobes were overused again IMHO.

I am making no further comments now as it's getting a bit Cyprus 44!

saldean

•   Message 23 of 29 in Discussion

Post by saldean »

Panchocat. Thank you for your complete dossier on your Eagles concerts how lucky you are ? My father suffered from Menieres disease for many years so we are fully aware of the problems caused by severe lighting hence whenever we were taking him somewhere we always researched the possibilities of over exposure to excess lighting (in his case blue lights and fluorescent tubes which of course flicker at a speed not always detected by the human eye) before going to the chosen place. Just a suggestion which may help in future to avoid this unpleasant situation.
Further to your comment regarding "masses leaving the concert" I believe to be an exaggeration (as per most of your comments on this subject) as there were a number of factors contributing to this effect. True some of us left after a few songs from Bon Giovi this is not a reflection on their evident excellent performance but in our case and many others we are not keen on their style of music therefore left after just a few of their songs, it was definitely not because of the wait for them to appear. I have PM'd ASAP who were kind enough to reply and will be making a statement with regards to all points on the concert and they have confirmed that there was a slight technical problem with Bon Giovi's equipment which led to a further 30 minutes delay on their appearance on stage. Once on stage I noticed a large amount (mainly female) of people leaving their seats to make there way down to the front of the stage to be nearer the performance thus leaving gaps in the previously almost full seating arrangement. Unless you were stood by the gates I cannot see how you can quantify your claims that masses were leaving and seems rather ridiculous to wait for a main act and leave as they start there is just no sense in that statement is there ???? Sal

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

It seems like many events in North Cyprus, it is definitely a case of 'can't please everyone';. One of the reasons I don't attend these is because it is not my kind of music, but I appreciate that for others it is as 'magic' to them as opera is to me! But in the best of performances things go wrong. I remember in Verona at a performance of 'Carmen' there was a lot fo anger generated over a strike by the orchestra, and cushions were thrown onto the stage. It did make it a bit more memorable than it might have been. Now, we can't go, as my husband's medical condition precludes our climbing up those stairs to the affordable seats. I also read years ago how flashing lights affected the brain etc, etc but of course they don't affect everyone the same way.

It seems to be that one of the main complaints is that the concert was too long (but ofr others a bargain for their money!), and that it would have been better having the main group in the middle of the concert, leaving time aftrer them for locals to have a greater airing.

I am sure that ASAP have listened to all complaints, and next time will take all tha t on boardand maybe if there is to be much strobe lighting, that a warning should be issued. However, technical hitches might still happen and it is always difficult to achieve perfection.

It did however seem to give a lot of people a lot of pleasure. Me? I would have run away screaming - it takes all sorts and all sorts of musical taste, doesn't it.

Definitely thanks are due to ASAP for putting on this event. Oh and by the way the Rotaracts are puttingon a concert on the 18th for those who appreciate the Turkish singer Gokce plus a large group of supporting musicians. Different kind of music for a different good cause (the Special Needs school in Karakum.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 29 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I've read all these comments and must say that having attended Deep Purple, Desperados and the BonGuovi night the only disappointment was the Desperados concert. The technical failure really spoiled it for me and we were just about to go when the sound came back on, so we stayed. Saturday night's concert was very professional by comparison. I understand Barry snakes and un-named but equally thanked persons, were there all day making sure the setup was as good as it possibly could be, Pete Murray did his bit very well as usual, and the bands were all fantastic. We left at 12.15 while Bon Guovi were still playing only because we were knackered, having been dancing all night. It was a bountiful array of riches in my view and I didn't feel cheated in any way, as I did at the Desperados affair, which finished very early in my view, especially as we could not hear the acoustic fill-in from the back. Thanks to Michele, ASAP and all who made the night possible. We are blooming lucky living here and having these events to entertain us!

barrysnakes
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 29 in Discussion

Post by barrysnakes »

Marions I think as all businesses that succeed ASAP will take on board all the comments made with regards to the concert but think they will go with the majority who had a great evening and I politely suggest those who dont like great value for money or superb sound and lighting just go to their local and watch the usual old karaoke ! Also Bon Giovi played at least 30 minutes longer than normal because as in their own words it was the loveliest setting, sound and lighting they had experienced in their career which means a lot to us who started organising the equipment as far back as last November ! regards Barry ps you really dont want to know what we are planning for next year ha ha !!!

asap
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 29 in Discussion

Post by asap »

Asap would like to say thank you for all the comments received as feedback is of course important and has been noted.
Just to clarify a couple of points that have been highlighted within the thread specific to the length of time of the concert. The concert started 15 minutes later than schedule due to sound check timings in the afternoon being changed to avoid the heat of the day by the sound engineers, resulting in the sound checks finishing at approx 6.50. The first support band The Renegades over ran slightly as a result of the crowd demanding an encore and in them circumstances the band had no option but to deliver, thus approx 20 minute behind schedule. Between Snakebite and Bon Giovi there was a further gap of approx 20 mins (mentioned within one of the posts) due to Bon Giovi experiencing some minor technical issues with equipment and as Barry has highlighted the band did play into extra time because of the excellent venue, atmosphere and crowd.

All Stars Agency set out to offer one night of full live music of three bands in aid of two charities.

We would like to thank all who came along and supported the event for these charities as without the fantastic audience events such as these would be irrelevant.
We would also like to extend a special thank you to all our volunteer workers on the evening who done a great job helping us work as a team, the Tulips workers who gave their time, all three bands who were outstanding, Pete Murray for keeping all informed and of course our sponsors to whom we are greatful - The Almond Holiday Village, Martina Cole's Bestseller Bookstores, North Cove Estates, Cafe George, Hetim Travel and Quickline Cosmetics.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

As a woman, I always try to have the last word, but as far as the concert is concerned there is another woman having the last word. Michelle Gray has done a write up you can read in the next KibKom Times!!! (hopefully on line in the morning.)

But she is such a lovely lady, I don't mind letting her have the last word!
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 29 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

Hope you haven't just put the kiss of death on Kibkom Times. Hope the internet behaves for Soner tonight!!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”